WHich is the best Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

chianghl

Reaction score
I personally find that Avira and Avast are good. AVG used to be good but the newer version seems to consume more CPU resources than the v7.5 (You won't see it as much of an issue if you run it on PC with spec higher than P4 3.2GHz with Minimum 1GB of RAM).

Avira is so far (I find), the best for getting rid of trojan, but you can only get the updates slightly later than the paid version (Well at least its free). Avast has this command-line bootup scanning feature that allows removal of viruses and spyware easier (Can allow removal of spywares or trojans that are running in the background when your window start).

Well thats my opinion for the FREE Antivirus.

blingladen

Reaction score
i have used kapersky, norton, mcafee, and nod32 and found nod32 to run the best on a windows box. its lightweight, doesn't eat up resources, available in 64bit and has plenty of configuration.

Lu5ck

Reaction score
According to anti virus comparison report dated in May 2008.

AVIRA & NOD32 has the best detection rate while KasperSky is following closely behind NOD32. If you are looking for Anti Virus ONLY and only anti virus. You should choose AVIRA which emerge first or NOD32 which is second. If you are looking for anti virus & firewall, you should go for KasperSky (emerge third in Anti Virus) as it have some features that can't be found in other suits.

Last edited:

theguynamedpie

Reaction score
I've used both McAfee and ZoneAlarm, and both seem to be quite good. I'd say that McAfee consumes more system resources, but that ZoneAlarm has more annoying alerts. I've also noticed that ZoneAlarm has picked up a few things which McAfee didn't.

I'd say that ZoneAlarm is probably my favourite out of these two. I haven't tried any other firewall/anti-virus/anti-spyware software, so I don't know if there is something better out there.

HereHere, i favor zone alarm to lol

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I used to use ZoneAlarm myself. I forgot where I found out about it, but as soon as I got my Linux box set up and built my new gaming computer, I switched to Windows Firewall + Smart UPnP from my Linux box + SPI firewall + Smart NAT + Firewall on linux box based solutions. Despite the security, never gives me a problem and if I run any server of any kind, UPnP 95% of the time will open the ports for me.

DragonMaster

Reaction score
I changed my opinion :

Avira AntiVir free edition (very good detection and extremely light weight)
There are two annoying things that get a lot of people to switch to another anti-virus :
1. Popup ads trying to get you to pay for an ad-free AntiVir.
2. Auto-update is slow and shows up a window.

Fortunately, I discovered two simple tricks. To remove the annoying popup, you need to use Windows restrictions to block the popup notification application, and you can make the auto-update window invisible (It's an option in the Avira scheduler settings)

Anyone who wants more details can ask ;-)

Last edited:

Xeyez

Reaction score
I love Avira! I've also used AVG in the past, but I can't seem to install the newer versions properly.

Armacci Design

Reaction score
AVG is my personal choice, by far. It uses hardly any resources, and updates nearly every day. The coverage is equal to, if not better, than many of the big boys (McCrappy and Norton). I definitely trust my system's security to em.

Maverick_1

Reaction score
I'm going to throw my hat into the ring here and say that I've used several of the ones reccommended and HIGHLY reccommend Trend Micro Internet Security above all of the others, I've used TIS for Years and would not reccommend anything else. I got into some trouble with avast, It allowed a whole load of viruses through to my PC and it was completly up dated with the latest detection routines. I also had the same experience with Mcaffee and AVG. TIS is by far the best available Program for Antivirus if your looking for Very fast, without the bloat of programs such as mcaffee or Norton which is the worst of the two commercial programs out there. TIS is also 100% compatible with all versions of windows including Vista x64.

eduardo0

Reaction score
For me? my best antivirus is BitDefender with Spybot-SD :) they perfect combination :)

Nathan H

Reaction score
Honestly, I use AVG and Spybot-SD. Nice simple and completely free. Never had a prblem with computer since I started using them.

fempower

Reaction score
AVG and NOD32 are great for small and streamlined. Norton is great overall, and McAfee takes the most resources for me.

knightcon

Reaction score
The question "which is the best antivirus" is an unfair question as it isn't quantified with what you will be using it for. If you just go online every now and then, then a small antivirus will do for you, whereas if you download gigabytes of adult content then you will need some slightly more powerful antivirus software. The only thing that I can advise is write down on a piece of paper exactly what you need it to do and what you use your PC for. Then go online and look at the various antivirus programs and find one which does what you need.

allinone

Reaction score
i will vote for kaspersky i m using it and its the best dont take any time duing startup

m001d

Reaction score
NOD32 is very light on resources b/c of how it is coded, but I found some viruses to pass through it.

I currently use Kaspersky ....the full suite (firewall/antivirus/antispam/etc.) and find it amazing! Very frequent updates to new viruses and good on resources too.

Many comparisons are done b/w them and they're avg about the same. So, I guess b/w the two, to each his/her own.

Status
Not open for further replies.