WHich is the best Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

vol7ron

Reaction score
everyone is commenting their own personal antivirus when TS is asking about which is the best.

Why would someone use a product they knew was inferior? That's a dumb comment. People are going to use what they think is best - even if you think it's not.

In my personal experience, I've used Norton, McAfee, TrendMicro, and Avast! As far as viruses go, they're universal, whether they targeting home or work machines. Lu5ck, maybe you're confused with what a virus is as opposed to worms and trojans, which can slow down and steal information, respectively. Work application generally have a heightened firewall and log manager, but the virus patterns are generally the same.

I found that TrendMicro and Avast were the best. McAfee was able to identify problems, but not fix it. TrendMicro was able to fix em. I found that Avast had a better boot scan and was able to find more problems, as well as fix them. It also has other services that work faster, for instance scans when browsing the net.

Again, this is my opinion and what i use.

--- I will give Kaspersky a try, though, after reading these opinions.

Last edited:

admael

Reaction score
NOD32 (for experienced users only, doesn't do any hand holding, high level of customization).

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Best stand-alone paid one I know of is Kapersky. Best suite is ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. Best free AV's are AVG, Antivir and Avast (they're all about the same in performance levels). I've heard that NOD32 is really good as well. Second-best suite is Norton 360 (nothing else from Norton!).

Lu5ck

Reaction score
Why would someone use a product they knew was inferior? That's a dumb comment. People are going to use what they think is best - even if you think it's not.

In my personal experience, I've used Norton, McAfee, TrendMicro, and Avast! As far as viruses go, they're universal, whether they targeting home or work machines. Lu5ck, maybe you're confused with what a virus is as opposed to worms and trojans, which can slow down and steal information, respectively. Work application generally have a heightened firewall and log manager, but the virus patterns are generally the same.

I found that TrendMicro and Avast were the best. McAfee was able to identify problems, but not fix it. TrendMicro was able to fix em. I found that Avast had a better boot scan and was able to find more problems, as well as fix them. It also has other services that work faster, for instance scans when browsing the net.

Again, this is my opinion and what i use.

--- I will give Kaspersky a try, though, after reading these opinions.

Anti-virus is anti-virus. It is does not include firewall and what-so-ever; it is not a suit. I will only recommend people software that are technically compared and proven to be better base on the reports.

It is just like hardware freaks, they will only recommend better hardwares that are out in the market and not their own personal computer specification.

Yes, my comment may be unnecessary but I don't want TS to be confused with the many user reviews. So, I gave TS a link for him to see himself each individual anti-virus technical test reports that are tested in same testing environment.

Best is a indeterminable word. Technology is always moving, software user used/tried in the past may not be the same now.

Also, I am interested in what make you think I am confused.

cursedpsp

Reaction score
Spysweeper - used to use AVG then my uncle showed me what Spysweeper does, geez its amazing.

In one 30 min session of being on the internet it picked up and removed 1,743 infects :D

ranjeet

Reaction score
i use none all sucks i love viruses on my pc....i have 500+ acc. to me which i have stored to destroy others pc just kidding Kaspersky here

kirtik

Reaction score
Hmm.. I used to use mcafee, then norton, then antivir... mcafee kept misreporting javascript, norton was too expensive, antivir kept advertising at me.... I now use AVG 7.5, but it can use up too much system res from time to time... is this NOD32 less resource heavy? (messy post D:)

masteraa

Reaction score
I use avg and "Norton" sadly. I use norton because im too lazy, and i put it on my pc several years ago, and i didnt know better, but norton has a built in fire wall, i kinda like that. I like being able to deny certen programs access to the internet.

Mostly I use avg on my other pcs if i were to install something from scratch.

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
I say Avast,

DONT BUY NORTON, its really bad, keylogs on ur comp, it sucks basket balls =P

admael

Reaction score
I don't know about Norton doing all that, but it sure make your computer crawl.

xPlozion

Reaction score
used norton on the first "new" computer we had (back in 2000, has Windows XP YAY!, the only other comp was an IBM w/ win95), and we had norton for about a year, because I didn't really know what I was doing either (i was like 10 yrs old), I then uninstalled norton, and jumped between avg and avast until i finally stopped w/ avg and have been using it ever since. Another option is Avira antivirus (i don't know if it was mentioned already).

my brother got a new computer a month ago, and I uninstalled norton as soon as it came home. On the flipside, I don't _NEED_ antivirus programs on my comp. my computer is securely locked down, and nobody is going to get outside of my /home/james directory and cause system-wide damage. also, if i do get a malicious file in my directory, I have to set it to execute and then do so to do any damage :p. take that microsoft :D

f4forex

Reaction score
According to me Eset Nod32 is best anti virus software, and yea if second choice is available then i wish to go for AVG.

digitalx

Reaction score
scan all suspect files @ virustotal com
scans files with all the "known" anti-viruses
on the market....

too cool

if they could figure out a way to do that on a hdd
the would be tops...

Max1337

Reaction score
I like McAfee the best.. it runs the fastest, detects more viruses than any other A/V I used, and its by-products (firewall) is great too.

* AVG sucks (it slowed my computer down a lot, and didn't detect hardly anything)
* Same for Norton
* ZoneAlarm is alright, except it can be laggy at times.
* Kaspersky uses too many system resources, and lags your internet.
* Avast, never tried.. so IDK.

Last edited:

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
To those saying that Norton is horrible, Norton 360 actually isn't bad for a suite, as they redesigned the scanning and real-time engine and it is much lighter on system resources than previous versions. Also, I think the best stand-alone antivirus would have to be Kapersky, with the best suite being ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. I find Avast and AVG are about the same, so I just picked AVG because it looks better IMO. The first time I tried McAfee years ago, it damaged my computer so badly I had to reformat. The second time, which was only last year and with a totally different computer (a newer and much better one), it slowed everything down to a crawl, randomly stopped loading at startup and I ended up reformatting again. And this was without any viruses too.

DragonMaster

Reaction score
ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
:pat: I know someone who installed ZoneAlarm, and it has done exactly the same thing McAfee did to your computer. It looked like a load of viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.