Which Linux Should I Use?

clareto

Reaction score
I will install linux for the first time in my pc, but there's a lot of flavors that I have never tasted.

All I need is:

apache/php
Kdevelop (c++, delphi, java, etc...)
mp3 (amarok) (i have listen people saying that suse doesn't plays mp3)
openoffice

and everything that a normal human that spends 20hrs in front of the computer needs...

tnx

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
I use SuSE 10.1 and I had no trouble playing MP3s out of the box. not sure why they say it doesn't work.

Anyways... you can get all those programs on just about any linux distro. Most come with package managers that will download and install any software you request. SuSE has YaST, Puppy Linux has Pupget. You should try a few live CD distros first before you install one so that you can get a taste for what it's like.

blackroselove

Reaction score
I use Linux Mandrake and that has all your needs and it is brillant for quick learning as it has a great gui and easy to understand

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
Get Ubuntu (or Kubuntu). It's really nice and there are like a million apps for it. Suse's nice but it takes forever to install, let alone to fool around with it's package manager. And you have to pay for Mandrake (I think), which totally breaks the [personal] rule that Linux should be free...

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Ubuntu will not play MP3s by default due to licensing issues. You are recommended to use a free format, like OGG. It also does not include the Flash plugin, and other proprietary stuff. You can still install them though.

I'd recommend Ubuntu.

Last edited:

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
blackroselove said:
mandrake is for free still. Linux will never be payable till they get better. :)
That didn't make much sense.

Are you trying to say that Linux distros can never be sold until they get better?

If you are, what do you think is wrong with them?

They are certainly more stable and secure than Windows. They are certainly much cheaper (most of them free, but even the paid ones don't cost very much). They can play games better than Windows without requiring such expensive hardware.

blackroselove

Reaction score
sorry meant to say its good but it will only start to be priced when and if they beat microsoft. thats the only time linux corp will start to charge so they can become a monoply like microsoft!

XColl

Reaction score
I've tried Ubuntu and I absolutely hate it. To install games, you have to use the console. To install drivers, you have to use the console. I'm no programmer and I don't plan to be until i'm in the right age but this is rediciolous.

Trying to install the ATI driver is a pain. I had to daul-boot it with windows. Although, it's good for a laptop computer since it doesn't use alot of memory.

I recommend getting Mandrake, possibly one of the bests Linux distros out there.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
XColl said:
I've tried Ubuntu and I absolutely hate it. To install games, you have to use the console. To install drivers, you have to use the console. I'm no programmer and I don't plan to be until i'm in the right age but this is rediciolous.

Trying to install the ATI driver is a pain. I had to daul-boot it with windows. Although, it's good for a laptop computer since it doesn't use alot of memory.

I recommend getting Mandrake, possibly one of the bests Linux distros out there.
The console doesn't involve any programming. Where did you get that idiotic idea? Stop expecting everything to work like windows does. What's wrong with the console? Can't you just use the support forums? You couold probably even search on google for "installing BLAH" and get the information you need.

About your stupid programming comment: There is no "right age" for programming. You can start when you're 10 if you want.

And from what I'm seeing on Madriva's site, it's not free. I wouldn't pay for something when I can get something better at no cost.

Ubuntu even ships you free CDs. It's easy to use, the most popular distro, and free, so I'll continue to recommend it along with the masses of other people who do.

Last edited:

elforo

Reaction score
I use Fedora Core, has great support easy to use, RPM support etc....TOP MARKS FROM ME!

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
XColl said:

Dude, you know, you could of used Synaptic Package Manager, which comes installed with the system (System - Administration - Synaptic Package Manager) - would of saved you a lot of trouble...

tehkubix

Reaction score
Personally, I really like Mandriva. I have been using it for a while now on my second partition and it just seems to be the best for me. I am not that good of a linux guy, but I found mandriva easy to get used to.

You should definatly give it a try.

jensen

Reaction score
Was reading on the various distros and have reached a conculsion that Ubuntu would be the first choice for beginners since they have pakage managers that come together that helps in the installing process.

But Debbain seems to be the choice among the more advance Linux users.

benryip

Reaction score
Gentoo, hands down.

Optimized for your hardware and portage is ingenius.

I think they now have binaries and everything, but the stage1 install is my preferred choice of setting up Gentoo.

I dual boot Gentoo and WinXP on my home compie, but I use a Mac for my day to day stuff. I'd have to say I love my Mac, but Gentoo runs a very close second. WinXP is trash.

If you do end up with Gentoo, you should try out XGL. Very pretty and very Mac-like.

cyberxzt

Zine Tech
Reaction score
ive said it once and ill say it again SuSE Linux 10.1 is the best. ;) easy to install, everything that anyone would need

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
elforo said:
I use Fedora Core, has great support easy to use, RPM support etc....TOP MARKS FROM ME!

I do as well, and well ... maybe I should look into that one that Jensen said (Ubuntu) ... since I am a beginner to *nix systems ( but a willing student )

Anyone have a link to Ubuntu where they offer the free CDs? I may give that a try. ( I am wanting to learn how to set up a web host / e-mail / and IRC system ) ... Yeah, I jump in with both feet and my eyes closed. :nuts:

kryptonyte

Reaction score
I would start with Suse and later after you get used to working things in Linux move to Ubuntu. It's slightly harder to use than Suse but I think it's more stable and uses debian packages which are easy to manage.

If you later feel like getting more advanced go for something like Fedora or Gentoo.

Last edited: