• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deltavolt

Reaction score
I'd have to put them in this order:
1. Mac OSX Leopard
2. Linux
3. Windows XP (runs through bootcamp or parallels on my MacBook Pro)
4. Vista

Vista is just plain terrible though, it uses up way too many resources and still doesn't achieve the friendly experience Leopard gives you. I used to have it as my Windows partition but then I wiped it and installed XP on it to play Steam games. I also have Linux running here and love it, though it's a pain to set it up in comparison to OSX.

abish

Reaction score
i prefer,
(1)leopard
(2)suse11
(3)xp

every body uses windows XP.

it allows H/W driver and program support.

when compare with vista and xp then xp is the best.
when compare with vista and os x leopard then os x leopard is the best.

Once mac os x leopard used then definitely likes that.......especially it use only small memory required on working and on booting time, it less blink your HDD compared to any windows

macosx1056hack.png

Last edited:

Xemnas

Reaction score
I'm surprised Windows 7 isn't on the list, I've heard a lot of good things about it. If I can get a hold of the RC I'll give it a try, otherwise I'll buy it when it comes out in October.

Anyway, here's my list:
  • Windows XP
  • Ubuntu
  • Mac OS X
Vista does not even qualify as an OS in my books ;)

Divinorum

Reaction score
XP because it was the best, and simplest OS I ever used, and I never had a problem with it- ever.

I'm on Vista because Compaq modified and rigs the hardware in their computers, and they suck.

I miss XP :/

whizynix02

Reaction score
I prefer XP. It works fine for me. Pc game installation is easy and other applications are accepted.

Vista - a little strick when installing a program.
Ubuntu - I have difficulty on using open source OS. I started with Linux and i quit easyly. hehe but many says that ubuntu were good for development and used for servers if i'm not mistaken so in the future maybe i want to learn how to use ubuntu effectively. :)

mymusic

Reaction score
I always prefer ubuntu over all the other operating systems because I get one command installation of the programs that i want , more even i like the strong CLI ie Command Line Interface which i get in ubuntu,(sysadmin always like #).
and ubuntu also gives a cool look to my laptop , i configure it like to be a Mac which even looks sexy...

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I always prefer ubuntu over all the other operating systems because I get one command installation of the programs that i want , more even i like the strong CLI ie Command Line Interface which i get in ubuntu,(sysadmin always like #).
and ubuntu also gives a cool look to my laptop , i configure it like to be a Mac which even looks sexy...

I tried using Ubuntu before on a partitioned hard drive, but once I actually got everything set up, I never got the wireless internet working. I had to get my laptop reimaged (for issues unrelated to the installation of Ubuntu), and since then, I have yet to try Ubuntu again. I still have some Ubuntu CDs in my collection, though.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Prefer:

Ubuntu -- *nix gives me a lot of control and I like this flavor
XP -- usually have to use Windows for different reasons. Short time frame Vista->W7 says a lot, as does the length of time they supported XP.
Mac -- have only used it on borrowed machines.

dexodro

Reaction score
Generally, I go back and forth between OS's. Sometimes, I like Windows XP (like right now), but I also enjoy and admire both ArchLinux and Gentoo (apparently, this makes me a masochist).

csc2ya

Reaction score
The 4 most common ones in order of preference:

1) XP
2) Ubuntu
3) MacOSX
4) Vista

Currently, i'm running XP on my laptop (I'm actually triple booting ubuntu, vista, and xp).

I find Vista to be a bit of a resource hog (I've got Vista Ultimate on my laptop), unless it's given bucketloads of ram (I've got 2GB).

Ubuntu was my first choice a few months ago, but that changed since a kernel update wiped out my wireless drivers, and I haven't yet got round to reinstalling it or trying to fix it.

MacOSX, I haven't tried it on a mac, but i've got a copy of macosx kalyway that was installed on my laptop as part of another triple boot setup last year. I never really used it though as there were no drivers for my sound or wireless cards at the time.

XP, lets just say that if Vista were as fast as XP is on my laptop, that I would go back to using Vista as my main os right now. I'm not too keen on the tonka toy theme, but i've put an alienware theme on it insted, which I love.

A rather odd 5th one from me actually (I know I only put 4, but I had to mention this one), Server 2003. I've been running that on my old laptop under my desk for an irc server for about a year, and the thing just runs, and runs, and runs. It doesn't last too long before it needs a reboot (about 2 weeks max), but that's just down to lack of memory (I've only got 512MB in that laptop).

frins

Reaction score
I use Leopard for the dialy routines (code web pages and desgin, listen music, write papers, etc.) and I use Windows Xp SP3 for gamming under Mac OS X boot camp.

epyon346

Reaction score
I feel like this poll should be updated to include Windows 7. I know it's not an official release yet, but the RC has been out long enough for people to realize if they like it or not.

For me, Windows XP is my choice, other than 7. Win7 is awesome. It pretty much takes the best things that I enjoy of XP, Vista, and a dash of OS X (what wasn't already thrown into Vista) and improves on them all. The RC is stable for me and all my hardware and is essentially a prettier XP or a more user-friendly and less-of-a-hog Vista.

I definitely think that Microsoft fixed the Vista gripes and I'll accept 7 as atonement.

briapv

Reaction score
I Prefer any Linux versions you like (paid/free) because there are only like 4/5 known viruses for the Linux Kernel(Or for GNOME, KDE) and i prefer it too because ubuntu 9.10(Alpha 4) does have a record of 8 seconds on a EFI(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFI) system

crownabhisek

Reaction score
BackTrack is a security linux distro.
BackTrack 3 is the most stable version yet, but BackTrack 4 Beta has also arrived & also less widely used.

It's almost a Geek feel with the distro.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Debian based Linux all the way. Currently I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3.5, (it was installed via debootstrap, so technically it's not a full kubuntu-desktop since I don't have any kubuntu named packages installed). On my other laptop (which shall soon be a home server) I have Debian Etch. Windows just really annoys me, today I had to use a windows pc, I was editing something in openoffice, and every half hour the usb stick I had the file saved on stopped working, I had to then pull it out, put it back in, and then I could use it again.

Just for fun I am thinking of build myself a linux system from scratch. That might have to wait until next year though since I don't have that much time.

xPlozion

Reaction score
I'm still running on XP Pro, but the new nvidia drivers aren't coming out for it anymore, so i'm gonna check w/ my neighbor see if he can score me a legit copy of win7 rtm...

For the month or so that I was running Win7, I actually was very pleased and felt a bit at home with it, unlike vista...

Status
Not open for further replies.