Status
Not open for further replies.

rahulkhatri

Reaction score
most organisations are now opting for free softwares
like my frnd's firm has shifted to linux from vista cos of recession

revolther

Reaction score
As a user of Windows 7 I have to suggest it to everybody I meet really. The amount of streamlining done to increase functionality and simplify even the smallest task is ridiculous.

For instance, I was just asked to help my mother scan a few pictures on her computer, then crop them on Windows XP. Pictures scanned, I had to go Start Bar > All Programs > Accessories > Paint > browse to each folder, and manually rectangular select the image and crop the white borders out, then save each image.

On Windows 7, I'd hit Windows Key > Type Paint then Enter > Open my picture > Paint now automatically selects image data so I simply press crop and save. Done.

It may not seem like much, but it's one tiny example, and took a process involving about 6 steps and reduced it to 4, while minimizing the likelihood of human error in the image editing process.

Macs are fun to play with, and Linux will always have it's place. But Windows has always had usability on it's side. At this point there is so much infrastructure built on Windows that it is nearly(and silently) synonymous with computing to the lay person.

Think about this, when you are arrested in the United States, the machine that finger prints you, the machine that takes your picture, the machine that books you, all run specialized variants of Windows XP.

It's not going anywhere, Microsoft has built infrastructure, the most valuable asset in any effort to remain dominant.

peterhsieh

Reaction score
I also love this questions when it come to forums (btw... about the also.. I just finished a browser crossfire)

Before I start, I would like to mention that my review and debate on this is that it is based on what the Operating System was made to do, not what Me, or You or Them WANT it to do. (I always see, "aww it doesnt support my GAMES", "Oh i cant use that program") Sure OS are meant to be flexible.. but If they all were .. they would all be the same... and that would just be boring.

Ok ...
Windows XP: What a great OS it was.... and now what WINDOWS 7... so fast...
Still is a great OS... does what you want.. occasionally freezes.. if drivers aren't installed properly (also applies to vista).. and has grown a reputation of the BSOD (well thats vista too.. xD). Graphics are great for when it was released. Definately pretty stable after Windows ME

Windows Vista: Well... I admit i loved vista at first... but it seemed no one agreed. a BAD reputation rushed through the internet like a ball of firey.. plutonic atoms with 1548 neutrons. (Mind the crazyness) It seemed no one wanted to accept the changes in what Microsoft has intended to put in.. I will only agree that UAC was implimented by some microsoft person who... was not sure of what he was doing.. (it could have been a she xD) ... Also file transfers were quiet slow.. but was fixed after SP1 <-- Glad of that.. Overall: Windows Vista is just as same as Windows XP.. just different oO...

Mac OS X: Well Well.. if it isnt the MACINTOSH.. competitor...
Mac is a great operating system, and as all do, it also has flaws... What I like .. especially about Mac is there is no other companies involved in the hardware...(some say that there is no competition.. which i believe is true also...if you don't know what i mean just move on ^-^). No Kernel panics (well so far.. oh and also.. kernel panics are the equivient to BSOD). Most people dislike macs because they believe that macs controls are just unlogic.... Well let me ask the question... If Everyone used a Mac.. and suddenly microsoft started making computers... would you think windows controls are logic? The fact is that we like what we learn from.. we also dislike changed.(that phrase there starts TONS OF MISCHIEF, from wars, to fights you name it) I use to hate macs.. why? the same reason.. it just seemed not right. I mean who uses a mouse with 1 BUTTOn.. that crazy. =-=.. but when I forced my self to try.. guess what im using a mac to type this right now ^_^... i am obsesed with macs.. People need to accept the changes give it try, and then see if you like mac or windows... I not saying that you must change.. but give it a try.. your not going to loose anything right?... you might loose time. but u gain experience.. thats what counts.. (as you can probably tell by my humongous post.. im a mac fan ^-^)

Linux and others : Sorry... I haven't tried.. probably as good as the others.. succeeding in what they do best ^-^..

Thanks again for reading my reviews.. I love to share

Peter

kryptofire

Reaction score
I prefer XP over other Windows version that Microsoft released. Although I'm a Vista user, some say that Vista is a new version of Windows ME - that is - full of bugs. Probably I think Windows 7 will be the (fixed/XP) of the Vista series.

On the Linux side, I'm currently taking up a crash course of Linux. I'm studying it 'coz I believe that there are companies out there that are using an open source server/computers instead of the highly priced Windows operating systems.

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
I personally like Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop. :)
Very nice OS, with a good GUI.
It also interoperates with my network, without any problems. :biggrin:

hossam91

Reaction score
Windows Vista is great especially if you have a core 2 quad and 4GB ram :lockd:

swimguy

Reaction score
you should really add windows 7. I'd vote for that. but otherwise, XP is pretty good.

xadrieth

Reaction score
I run a 2007 Macbook with OS 10.4 and Windows XP on it.

I'm not really happy with it because 3 months after I bought it they included the New OS for Mac. And it's an expensive upgrade.

And I can't play any games made past 2005.

Might have to get one of those OnLive systems when they come out.

igames

Reaction score
I love the mac interface, it has a great interface, some nice additions that arnt available on other op systems, but it does hog a little too much resources, but macs are made to handle it. XP owns with gaming and i think vista looks nice, but if you use a computer that was designed for xp your screwed.

1. Leopard OS X
2. Windows XP

SaeNguyen

Reaction score
I personally like window xp pro with classic theme. My favorite linux distro is centos.

aaronj10

Reaction score
You know, I really like XP For games, I agree with alot of the people who said that, I just think that Vista's whole way it works is amazeing, now I do think that it has its faults, but just think.. A Vista as the OS, but plays games like XP.:nuts:

calenna

Reaction score
I like Linux but I like to game too much to stick with it. I'm using a computer that was built for Vista now but I hated Vista. It was a resource hog and the whole thing with it constanly asking permission for things was really annoying. I prefer XP to Vista but I'm currently running the Windows 7 beta which I definately prefer over Vista. Can't wait till it comes out. Still has the asking permission thing but its not quite as annoying as on Vista and 7 uses a lot less resources. It also has fewer driver issues.

Hauzer

Reaction score
I've currently got XP. I love it, I plan on getting Vista. Yes, a lot of you will complain Vista is worse and consumes more of the systems process but I don't need to worry about it.

I'm planning on buying Vista on a new machine with Intel Quad-Core and 4GB RAM.

akosiameer

Reaction score
I prefer to use Windows XP sprecially for gaming because it doesn't consume that much resources.

But I think I'm gonna shift to Vista if I will be buying a new computer.

I do also prefer using Linux distros like Ubuntu and Debian.

gto286

Reaction score
Hi. well on the Question. i like xp. i even had it on here but honestly i really like windows 2000 series.
i'm running win server 2003. at the moment and i really like it :biggrin:

rallan

Reaction score
I use openSuSE, Windows and Mac OS X. I prefer using OpenSuSE,but need windows for making windows apps. Mac OS X? For making iPhone apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.