Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 137 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hell_legend_199616

Reaction score
ubuntu is great... i rekon the best part of it is the unix shell. and theres lots of gnome eye candy to make it look awesome. The software center is amazing. Although i think i use synaptic the most. Im actually surprised that windows has got so many votes. thought all the programmers/coder would sue linux distribution's and designers using mac...

chanh.ong25

Reaction score
Now that I use Windows 7 I prefer Windows 7
But as far as Linux I use various distribution but I like Debian or Ubuntu distribution for playing around with Linux.

Gonrah

Reaction score
Windows XP is great but Win 7 is better and I gave my vote vote for the new one.
I think that this is the way that Microsoft must develop.

Last edited:

asia.intech98

Reaction score
Latest Ubuntu LTS is really awesome! It has made so much progress since it's beginnings! Even in things as driver support! Now it's easier to install hardware on Ubuntu than on Windows! I had a 3g dongle to connect at a few computers in our office, and windows needed the driver cd otherwise it would not recognize the device, but with ubuntu: just plug it in and it works!! I couldn't believe my eyes!!

The only drawback is games... I trust that soon Wine will become good enough to play most of them. It's already very very good with popular 3d games like Unreal Tournament, so I'm pretty sure it's a matter of time!

malavida

Reaction score
It depends on the hardware: for an ancient compatible desktop with 256MB of RAM ZenWalk linux, for a 512MB Toshiba Tecra A1 laptop, dual boot Xp and Xubuntu Intrepid (video drivers are a pain with other distros) . For a nice Hp V3000 laptop with 512MB Ram Linux Mint Isadora does the trick for me.

brunoilave63

Reaction score
I say I prefer Windows, with XP being the preferred OS among them. I tried developing in Linux but I don't like it for several reasons, the main being that setting up the development environment can be such a pain. Other reasons are poor documentation, non standard installation instructions, and other smaller issues which I won't go into detail about. Cross platform development is a fine thing to say in theory, but people have come to expect that any linux program must be free, and tend to forget that developers need to eat too :( I also prefer windows because the programs available just have more user friendly interfaces, which enable you to get the work done; I'm referring to programs for drawing and multimedia editing. I create small animations and illustrations, using toon boom, plastic animation paper, and art rage pro. I have been unable to find equivalents of such programs on linux, unfortunately (I must note that the animation programs on linux leave a LOT to be desired, with the exception of Pencil, which actually works better on windows and mac).

If software installation were easier on linux (I'm talking about the smaller programs, not the ones made my big groups, you know the ones you sometimes don't find on repositories, or are outdated in the repos, and have to install yourself), I'd find myself using it more and more for actual work. As it is right now, I only use it as an operating system to use when accessing the net via an third party (and therefore unknown) network, and when taking notes at the university (via google docs, I don't see the need to install openoffice since it insists on installing the whole core package and not only the writer component, which I think is a BIG programmng no no).

Last edited:

mike02x90

Reaction score
Re: Which Os do u prefer

Well, so far I'd Say Ubuntu, Windows XP AND Windows 7.
I hate with all my heart and the wrath of the gods Windows Vista.

I enjoy using ubuntu since its quite customizable, you can add as many addons and pluggins and its FREE, besides is almost virus Free, and you DON'T need to wait years of years so ubuntu releases an update or a fix, since it has a comunity of programmers and even yourself can contribute to the OS.
You don't need any stupid activation key or anything like that when you're using ubuntu, you just install on as many machines you want.

For me Ubuntu has one of the most user friendly GUIs ever besides Windows XP and 7.
I only use Ubuntu for work and school, since it has OpenOffice which is also Free.

On the other hand, I use Windows XP pretty much for gaming and that's it.
And as for Windows 7, I have the Ultimate Edition installed on my Laptop and it's used for Browsing, Video Editing(It has an interesting Movie Maker, which is much better then the previous versions) and chatting.

dstravelwriter51

Reaction score
I've used several and various different OS in the past. Currently I'm running Fedora 13 on two computers (LXDE on the netbook and KDE on the laptop with broken keys), as well as Lubuntu (LXDE Ubuntu) on the other netbook.

I also have a Toshiba notebook with what I believe to be a completely-obfuscated partition table on a pretty-much broken hard drive, thanks to my early experimentations with Puppy Linux (v2.1.4).

On the other hand, I've used Windows (versions 3.1, 95, 98, ME, 2000, NT 2000, XP, Vista - picture of The Scream goes here - and 7 and not expecting the next release...) since kindergarten (even before that), and I also used Old Mac (version something-something back in 1995) when I was in elementary school.

My familiarity with Windows and DOS-based OS's breeds my contempt for it, but that is not something I am very willing to get into full detail with here (because doing so might breach my current state of happiness).

I've also used Mac OS 8/9 when I just started out in college at Oakland U back in 2005. That was fun, but somewhat irritating as I couldn't use the mouse properly.

I've tried using Pure Dyne, Dyne Bolic, and Ubuntu Studio, all of which were quite fine. I've had a hand at using xPUD and SLAX. Both were cool but did not fully suit my needs.

I think the best Operating System software of all time has to be probably UNIX-based. As to which one, I'd say Fedora (for regular computers and mainframes) or MeeGo (for netbooks).

Ultimately if I have to decide, I choose to go with Fedora, because Fedora has the RPM Fusion repoes which MeeGo has no access to, and I am not just a writer but also a filmmaker, so I need to be able to use film editing software. MeeGo has never come with that.

Well, that's my opine.

What's yours?

Blessed be.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Yeaaa :D

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Wrong. Linux does have viruses and malware, just not as many as Mac and Windows does since it's got such a low spectrum of the OS market.

The original poster was wrong on two parts (and I agree with dWhite's post but here is a further explication):

1.) Linux does not have many viruses targeted at it. However, you can still fake a virus by going sudo or su and messing up your computer that way. Or, if you use Puppy Linux, you can mess it up by installing poorly-built SFS files. There is no way to get around the existence of computer failures, only many many ways to fix them...

2.) Linux does have antivirus software. The two that come off the top of my head (and are familiarily related) are ClamAV and KlamAV. There is also firewall software like FWBuilder and IPTables (and its cool-named deriv IPKungfu). Linux is never fully secure, as is any military base or nation at war, because the real threat always comes from the inside, not the outside...

Hope I have cleared things up a bit. Thanks for reading.

Blessed be.

Last edited:

tim4rd

Prime Account
Reaction score
I'm a Mac OSX Snow Leopard user by day, Vista and 7 user by night lol. It's just the MacBook Pro has a better battery life than any laptop I've used before. The power management is brilliant, haven't seen anything on the PC side of thing that compares. The only problem is with OSX it doesn't feel as satisfying to do stuff with, you can't go deep like you can with windows and linux.
Used to use ubuntu, have it on my netbook but find myself using it less and less now. Much love for linux though :D

wolf99

Reaction score
Re: Which Os do u prefer

Some interesting results there, pretty much reflect what I'd ues though, XP followed by Ubunut,.
The odd dabble with fedora spins doesn't hurt either :)

vipul.bigrock49

Reaction score
Windows XP Is best and i said ever best but the windows 7 makes a computer different looking cool faster and easy to use but have a problem with the 7game some game can't support but i still love.......... :smile:

mandy0

Reaction score
I use UBUNTU+XP both.. but can't select both.. well most of the time on xp

darkking9999956

Reaction score
I personally use Windows 7 and Windows XP. Both are effective operating systems both in their ease of use and ability to troubleshoot. I have yet to have a problem with my Windows 7 machine, it is a lot faster then my Windows XP machine and that makes it my preferred OS for use.

yuzh198133

Reaction score
1、ubuntu
2、win 7
3、win xp
4、mac os

Micosoft open a window for the world , but they closed the door .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.