Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 137 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jag349846

Reaction score
I would perfer to use Ubuntu as my primary OS, but none of the software I use runs on it, so I have my computer dual booted with Ubuntu and XP. I use Ubuntu for any task it can accomplish. If I could I would run android, Ubuntu and XP.

Interscopia

x10 Caffeine Addict
Prime Account
Reaction score
Ubuntu and Windows 7 in double boot. Both at home and at work.

Mostly use Ubuntu, and only boot with Windows 7 for Adobe Illustrator, or some games basically.

I'm sure Ubuntu will become widely used if they keep improving it the way they did the last few years!

Lot's of fun to come!

This. lol

lmpure

Reaction score
I personally prefer two different things.
I loved Windows XP from the Microsoft side of things, and I used it even when Windows 7 started to come out.
After a while, I had to update to 7 since most of the customers I make programs for were having problems with compatibility.
On the other side of the spectrum, I absolutely adore Ubuntu. Its got a lot more control for users, not to mention its not as uncommon as people think.

Eugen Jung

Reaction score
Re: Which Os do u prefer

Ubuntu's great for farting around in, but I use Fedora for anything serious. I have a two separate hard-drives for Fedora and Ubuntu, and one for Windows 7. I only use Windows when I absolutely have to.

Mac OS is an alright operating system if you can afford the hardware, but I don't like working under Apple's thumb. It's also not fully open-source, so who knows what it's doing under the hood. Sending your stuff to Apple? "All your pr0nz is belong to us."

I'd rather use my own OS...
Which I am working on making as of now, with the help of a few friends. :)
Let me help! Let me help! Pwetty pwease? With a GDT on top? :D (If you're still around, of course...)

sotirismichail53

Reaction score
Personally,I think that Linux-based operating systems are the best.Especially Ubuntu.They are free,open-source and with the recent Software Center in Ubuntu it has everything you need.Every piece of hardware is supported(a big number of devices are supported out-of-the-box)and they are very customizable.
But,as far as gaming and application range are concerned,Windows 7 are the best.
So,the best solution is to dual-boot these two.

pilgrimsplace86

Reaction score
I'm running Win 7 and Pardus 2011 in a dual-boot setup.
Pardus is my first attempt at Linux in several years and I'm loving it.
I couldn't believe how well it has recognized all of my hardware.
Pardus is not well known yet but I think you'll be hearing more about it.
They've made a very polished and capable system worth taking a look at.
It even gave a name for my 2 gb micro sd card from my cellphone.
I'm here hoping to setup SFM on my Pardus machine.
My goal is to learn how to setup and run a forum.
I'll mostly be lurking for a while until I learn enough to have an intelligent discussion.
Wish me well. :smile:

Eugen Jung

Reaction score
As long it's Window, I'm happy.

Now, I'm not gonna bash you or insult you for your choice of operating system, but I am genuinely curious as to why you would choose an OS which, in my opinion, has gotten to the top mainly through lack of commercial competition (Mac OS doesn't count, since it only runs on Macintosh PCs).

Linux dominates almost every field in computing, from servers to supercomputers to mobiles (Android anyone?). Desktop PCs are 'the final frontier' :tongue: for Linux.

What does Windows have that Linux doesn't? Why do you use it? I'm not asking rhetorical questions here, I'm actually really interested.

May the source be with you, as it is in Linux, forever and ever, amen.
~ Eugén Jung

PS: http://whylinuxisbetter.net/ probably does a better job at explaining all this (and their "One Day with Linux" screenshot tour is something to have a look at), so I'll just list the main headings on that site:
Forget about viruses.
Is your system unstable?
Linux protects your computer.
Don't pay $100 for your operating system.
Freedom!
When the system has installed, why would you still need to install stuff?
Forget about drivers.
Update all your software with a single click.
Why copy software illegally if you can get it for free?
Need new software? Don't bother searching the web, Linux gets it for you.
Jump into the next generation of desktops.
Does your digital life seem fragmented?
Choose what your desktop looks like.
Why does your Windows get slower day after day?
Do something for the environment.
No back doors in your software.
Enjoy free and unlimited support.
Too many windows? Use workspaces.
No big mess in your start menu.
Don't wait years for bugs to be solved; report and track them down.
Are you tired of restarting your computer all the time?
Let your old computer have a second life.
Play hundreds of games for free.
Help other countries, and your own.
Use MSN, AIM, ICQ, Jabber, with a single program.
Get a great music player.
Keep an eye on the weather.

Last edited:

leeoliberamal70

Reaction score
I think the best operating system is what is the best of your hardware and the uses of this hardware... You can't install microsoft or even ubuntu in an apple hardware. Or you may have problems installing mac in you non-apple hardware... And dual boot, for me, is not advisable cause your hardware (specifically your ram) where design to one Operating System. You may have dual or even more if you have large RAM.

While installing softwares, you need to specify or correct first the system requirements. Ain't that easy installing wares in hardware without checking.. you may over-did it... there some virtual wares that you may use while your into other OS. But still, you should meet the system requirements or even more to do that.

For me, the best operating system is the OS that fits your needs. :smile:

zulysat44

Reaction score
Well i chose "Other Linux Distribution" since i'm using Fedora remix called Fusion Linux, it's really great. The system comes with TON of free and open source tools for graphics and video editing and much more. You can visit this site for more info about this amazing distribution:
http://fusionlinux.org/

I'm kinda promoting the distribution here, i hope that the mods won't punish me, i have to do my part...:wink:

pilgrimsplace86

Reaction score
Well i chose "Other Linux Distribution" since i'm using Fedora remix called Fusion Linux, it's really great. The system comes with TON of free and open source tools for graphics and video editing and much more. You can visit this site for more info about this amazing distribution:
http://fusionlinux.org/

I'm kinda promoting the distribution here, i hope that the mods won't punish me, i have to do my part...:wink:

You punish yourself for not running Pardus 2011.:(
Check out a review here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viEQ-DWxX50
Go get your copy of Pardus and you'll stop that underhanded self-promoting of Fusion and all will be well.
http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/download/
Then you can come out of time-out. :biggrin:

zulysat44

Reaction score
Hehe, don't worry i have everything i need in Fusion, i heard about Pardus, and i'm reluctant to try it because of KDE, i've used openSUSE and PCLinuxOS with KDE and i don't enjoy it at all. It uses a lot of resources (openSUSE on a fresh start uses arouind 400MB of RAM after tweaking, and Fusion with GNOME 160MB)...I tried disableing Nepomuk and akonadi in openSUSE but it's not very easy thing to do, :eek:. I'm gonna try Pardus next month cause right now i can't afford the download. But if it's like the review says it is, Pardus just may be the first KDE distribution which is usable to me...:tongue:.

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Windows 7 for its updates and Fedora for the flexibility.

gazetamac

Reaction score
The operating system I prefer is Mac OS X Snow Leopard because it's built on the top of UNIX – which allows me to use both the powerful console and a stunning UI, as well as because of the reability which offers me.

khopcraft77

Reaction score
Windows 7 all the way. I thought it was going to be another crappy windows like vista. Then it turned out... GREAT. I love most every aspect of it.

jodoloy

Reaction score
The operating system that you use, generally depends on what kind of software you want to run. Apple is very good for Photos/Videos. Microsoft has a lot more free software available.

Eugen Jung

Reaction score
Microsoft has a lot more free software available.

This made me LOL. Microsoft and free software?

Most software on any Microsoft OS is propriety. Maybe it's distributed for free, but it's not free software (you can check the definition here: gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html).

I know I've groused about not being able to change anything in Windows because it's not open-source/free software, but I thought I should point out that if you care about free software, as I do, then you'll find much more free software on a Linux distro than on any Windows machine. If you want to contribute to the open-source scene, then using Windows is not only impractical, but will make the free software zealots angry.

It's important to remember that the free software movement is different to the open-source movement, even though the terms are usually used interchangeably. If you're interested, you can check out this article: gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.

But I agree that what operating system you use depends on what fits your needs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.