Votes: 28 35.4%
  • Other (Please say in post)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

QueenHawkeye

Reaction score
Linux, and then comes a close second with Windows. [I know boo me all you want, but it has Photoshop!]

fireball87

Reaction score
I mean when you get that picture of the bomb up with some cryptic error message...that is never good.
You haven't used a mac in the past decade have you? The bomb was removed completely in OSX. Now you just have standard kernel panics, which happen somewhat rarely. OS classic crashed because its lack of protected memory, if your programs set clear boundaries for themselves, you would be fine.

Linux, and then comes a close second with Windows. [I know boo me all you want, but it has Photoshop!]
Photoshop (and other multimedia apps) is really the reason I use (hacked up) windows xp as my main os right now, and will probably use osx on my next system.

Last edited:

deadimp

Reaction score
I've used Windows XP the longest out of any OS, but I'm going to start drifting over towards Linux, Ubuntu specifically.
I've got Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon installed on my machine right now, with dual-boot using GRUB. Very convenient when I just feel like messing around in whatever I like.
One thing I especially like about Ubuntu [Debian] is its update system. The reason I like it so much is that there isn't really anything like that centralized in Windows. It simply kicks teh arse to be able to use apt-get and download a program with all dependencies automatically taken into consideration. I'm lazy, and that's great for me.

techeze

Reaction score
That's such a broad question :lol:. It depends what you're using it for!

For compatibility and general ease of use: XP or Vista
For server-side stuff : you can't beat a *nix system
For desktop reliability: Mac or Windows

I'm sure there are other categories but that was just as an example... :)

--Josh

As a note: I'm currently running Win 98, 2000, XP, Vista, CentOS, Fedora Core, Ubuntu--just got rid of that...Umm, I have way too many computers :happysad:

fireball87

Reaction score
Your list of uses is miles away from mine. Compatibility I'll agree, server side I'll agree, general easy of use is OSX (linux if you know what your doing), and *nix types (including osx) are way more reliable for desktop uses too. I've had desktops with months of uptime, only rebooted for critical system changes. xwindows/x.org may be antiquated and a tad unstable, but they seem ahead of what windows has.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
windows xp and ubunto 7.10(desktop and server) under virtural pc. really fun to play with.

Dan

Reaction score
Vista is definitley one of the best!!!! Though Ubuntu's good too.

rzPsyPets

Reaction score
I'd definitely choose Windows XP over Windows Vista. Windows Vista is just plain-old annoying. My second choice would have to be Linux, I just like it ^.^

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
I'd have to say Linux is the superior operating system in the list, but my main OS is Windows XP.

stillercity

Reaction score
I love Windows Vista, I hate everyone thats saying their going to downgrade to XP, really, Vista is worth the money. It works especially well on my HP computer, and I just love all the small little features.

unpixelatedgamers

Reaction score
Windows, easily.

It just can't be beaten for general compatibilty and familiarity.

Neither of the other two mentioned are real competition. OSX is proprietary software on proprietary hardware, and linux is just a nice open source free OS, but doesn't have anywhere near the software OR hardware support that windows does. And for a gamer like me, its just a general no-go.

This may sound crazy to the uber geeks, but i've been running the exact same installation of Windows XP on my home PC for over 4 years with no major problems (a few viruses, couple of power surges, and occasional brief freezes). I have absolutely no reason to change.

Rolyin

Reaction score
I have to go with Fedora 8 although I am using XP to post this lol
From what I have used of fedora it is easy and powerful!

DaemonS

Reaction score
About more games in Windows yes i have to says that there are more, but you still have wine to try it on linux...

Exactly what you just said... TRY. Half the time when wine supports the program, it doesnt run properly. Evey game ive tried (with the execption of counterstrike cs on fedora 6) either failed to run or had severe issues. That is the main reason I only use windows for gaming. Any other time i'll stick to my fedora 8.

MS :bowdown: to my LINUX BOX.

LashRash

Reaction score
Vista all the way.

The new look and the feel. plus the added security win my vote all the way!

jermaine

Reaction score
I tried one of those live cds of Ubuntu Linux and it was so boring!
I use XP, and will be using Vista! Go Microsoft!

Last edited:

wiz4r

Reaction score
FreeBSD is the best; A little complicated for a novice, but it's secure and stable and it has a lot of ports and packages to install.

Max1337

Reaction score
I like Linux the most, though most of my computers use XP MCE (Media Center Edition) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.