Which OS?

Which operating system?

• Total voters

swirly

Reaction score
I installed mandriva linux on a friends computer, just wondering how do you guys run .exes? I installed wine and all that but after I installed the .exes I couldnt run the programs. Any thoughts as to what to do?

HomerJ

Reaction score
I installed mandriva linux on a friends computer, just wondering how do you guys run .exes? I installed wine and all that but after I installed the .exes I couldnt run the programs. Any thoughts as to what to do?

.exes are Windows and DOS executables. Try getting linux software.

If you must use a Windows-only program, you can use wine explorer to find it (execute winefile at a terminal) or you can open a terminal and run wine with the path to the .exe file (eg: wine ~/program.exe).

Note that Wine is far from perfect. It likely won't work too well. It's best to use software compiled for Linux, and installed through your distros package manager (not by hand).

crs.arizona

Reaction score
I use Mac OS X on my PowerBook as my main computer. I do all of my webpage editing, etc on a Mac, and wouldn't have it any other way. I used to have a MacBook Pro 17", dumb of me, to trade it for a PowerMac G5, then I have decided I wanted a laptop again, and couldn't even get a MacBook out of it, using the Phoenix craigslist, so I had to settle for a PowerBook, I don't mind it, but I do miss my MacBook Pro.

vol7ron

Reaction score
XP all the way. Linux = no games OS X = no fun VISTA = slow game interface

I'd stay with 98 if I had my choice, if that Blue Screen would just go away

swirly

Reaction score
I know .exe's are windows executables, but there arent any equivalent as far as i know.

Sohail

Reaction score
For me it's definitely Mac OS X 10.5 ;) It's got all the features and support for a professional web designer and that's exactly what i need :).

mrmime

Reaction score
Linux, Debian to be precise, I also like Free BSD but it is harder to install, i also use Mac OS 10.4.11 but still i prefer my linux

HomerJ

Reaction score
I know .exe's are windows executables, but there arent any equivalent as far as i know.

Then, you'll have to use Wine I guess. The easiest way would just be to open a terminal, execute winefile, and use the wine explorer file browser to execute the Windows application.

Another idea, so long as you don't need any 3d graphics, you could run Windows inside of VMWare, Virtualbox, or qemu. Of course, this requires that you have a copy of Windows, but it will give you much better emulation that should work in every case.

But, I would recommend finding native linux software. It is just far simpler and better to run software natively than through Wine or through an emulator.

zeusius

Reaction score
I really like Vista. The system has to be built with Vista in mind though. Driver support is still a little disappointing, especially with Nvidia cards. I duel boot Vista/Unbuntu but use Vista most. XP great for older systems. Wouldn't wipe my butt with a Mac OS though it is pretty good for people that don't know anything about computers and software. Don't believe the ads though. Mac OS is still capable of getting viruses, malware and crashes. I used to like that kid in thier commericals from Dodgeball, now I just think he's an unintelligent toolbox.

Jords

Reaction score
I use Windows XP SP2 there has been no problem,
but when i installed Vista it crashed in 2 weeks and then I had to reformat my computer.
I haven't tried Linux yet.

Last edited:

medina

x10 Addict
Community Support
Reaction score
WTF??? Mac Os is the best OS No virus no troyans no spyware, have a nice design Mac Os is the God of the OS xD

zack822

Reaction score
I Like XP better than most other OS's more easy to use and set up.. but i run a ubuanto Linux system also. which i really like

zeroninja

Reaction score
WTF??? Mac Os is the best OS No virus no troyans no spyware, have a nice design Mac Os is the God of the OS xD

I haven't had a virus/spyware/troyan in over 9 years, infact I haven't used any anti-virus software in 9 years. I know my registry and I know my processes. I don't need sofware to tell me otherwise.

XP has *dll *exe and uses less resources than OSX/Vista. Besides, customize.org (litestep, blackbox, xpthemes) makes xp look better than linux/osx/vista ever was.