Which Web Browser you like most?

svcadm

Reaction score
I have been using opera for almost ten years. I also use Firefox, but opera is my "primary" weapon. Maxthon and a host of others aren't quite "browsers" if I remember correctly. These are just Internet Explorer "shells". That is, they basically give a make up to IE. I don't recommend any such shells or IE itself to anybody who has any brains. IE is the weakest spot in your windows pc which hackers target first. It's part of the OS itself. Chrome/Comodo Dragon etc are better than IE, but there's not much room for customization of privacy/security matters. For example, Opera can block tons of ads, flash/plug-ins globally as well as site wise, Firefox has noscript, ad-block plus in addition to inherent security, but these features are lacking in chrome. Also, you can "mask" both opera and Firefox as a different browser.

Firespot

Reaction score
I like Opera the most, I find it does everything I love.

The only one I don't like is Internet Explorer.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ad and flash blocking are available as Chrome extensions (with whitelisting/exceptions). The extension ecosystem is just as extensive for Chrome as it is for Firefox; the one exception being bulk downloaders (Chrome, at this point, will open rather than download the media files it can handle, so downloading full-sized image galleries from a thumbnails page won't work properly). There are some extensions that Google can't approve of (YouTube downloaders and so forth—since Google own YouTube and makes money from the ads, it's not likely that they're going to give a downloader pride of place in the Web Store), but you can get them from non-Google sites. Installation isn't automatic—you actually have to drag the downloaded CRX file onto your extensions manager page (oh, the horrors of moving a mouse half an inch!!!).

Chrome (and the open-source Chromium, if the Googly part of the app bugs you) already has a good debugger/inspector/profiler built in, so an add-on like Firebug isn't necessary. I do use the Web Developer Toolbar, but only for its predefined window sizes when developing responsive sites.

Personally, I stay clear of Firefox except for local testing. It's not because it's a bad browser, but because a lot of what Mozilla is proposing to WHATWG and W3C for CSS3 and HTML "5" (there's actually no version number in the proposed new standard) is wrong-headed in a really big way, and I don't want to contribute to any statistics that would give them a user preponderance. Webkit (Chrome/Chromium and Safari), MS and Opera are offering much saner (and unified) alternatives for things like box-reflection and multi-resolution image handling. As much as I want to see V8 and SpiderMonkey battle it out, improving JavaScript performance for everybody along the way, I would much rather boot the idea of SVG in stylesheets and extra non-semantic elements on the page right out of the known universe.

And you folks who are worried about the "huge virus vector" that is IE... well, you're just a little bit behind the times. Internet Explorer 9 and 10 are at least as secure as any other browser, IE8 is well-patched, and since IE is no longer the market leader, it isn't nearly the target that, say, Chrome and Firefox are. Opera weirdos will probably never have to worry; it's highly unlikely that it will ever have a big enough market share to be a target. Opera Mini saw wide distribution, but the browser didn't browse; it only looked at pictures of the web page after the server did the rendering. That makes the browser secure (while opening the server to abuse), but it makes highly interactive pages useless.

anth.r44

Prime Account
Reaction score
Safari and Google Chrome because they both run the WebKit engine

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
And you folks who are worried about the "huge virus vector" that is IE... well, you're just a little bit behind the times. Internet Explorer 9 and 10 are at least as secure as any other browser

I use IE9 - have tried others and for me it comes down to speed. It starts and runs quicker than Chrome for me, and I don't care for the plethora of useless mods; sure there are a couple of useful ones like yousabletubefix and...well...that's it. That's all I miss from Firefox/Chrome(/Opera). (Similar argument to those that say a benefit of iOS is it's app ecosystem, and that there are more on there than, say, Android or WP...most of the apps are stupid/useless; it's not really an influential argument except to those who use their number of Facebook friends in competition).

W.r.t adblock and the like: I hate ads as much as the next guy but realistically; they are the sole means for many sites' existence. I do express a rather large distrust of personalised behaviour tracking ads, however, so make use of the relevant blacklists in IE, and Abine's DNS+. The whole voluntary Do Not Track header is pointless unless all advertisers are on board, otherwise how are you supposed to control it?

inetweaver

Reaction score
I use Firefox ,Google Chrome,But my favorite if Firefox because of its adds on facility.It really makes a big difference between Firefox and Chrome.

highplainsthumper53

Reaction score
I use Firefox in both Linux (Ubuntu 12.04LTS) and Windows. It is very flexible with add ons, multiple tabbing, etc. It has suited my needs for a long time and continues to do so.

linuxdis

Reaction score
I use Google Chrome on Xubuntu 12.10 x64, Arch Linux x64, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and any other Linux distro.

JESSAMYN

Reaction score
Firefox is my favorite browser from the browsers list. I always prefer to this browser and i have been attached with this browser since 2008. I have no any complaint from the browser performance. I easily install add-on on this browser which helps me to use short cuts. Secondly, i prefer to Opera.

Last edited by a moderator:

milomir

Reaction score
used opera for years, after it hit v11 i switched to chrome, didn't like the changes.. (and wml got replaced by xhtml-mp, main reason i was using opera was wml)

Reaction score
Firefox is better because of its lightning speed particularly the new version 17.0 is awesome, chrome has better resolution then firefox but over the years it has become quite slow while starting up and security in chrome is still a major issue. Still I would like to go with chrome because I'm a designer (web graphics) its resolution is good and still it loads pages a bit faster than firefox.

That's my opinion