Who Here Grabbed Windows 7?

Wizet

Reaction score
I am having this problem: Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does not exist

Wizet

Reaction score
I clicked the link to download Windows 7 but it doesn't show up for some reason it just loads and its done.

xPlozion

Reaction score
couple of things. first, you have to use internet explorer for the link to work.

secondly, for those who need a key for the beta (or a direct link to the iso file), check out neowin.net

ps i tried d/ling it from the direct link, but it only downloaded 122mb's of the 2.*gb it's supposed to, so you'll have to use ie ;)

Last edited:

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I am having this problem: Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does not exist

I had that problem as well, yet installed fine on another PC. So I swapped the DVD drives around, and it installed fine. Try a different drive. ;)

Max1337

Reaction score
I think Microsoft blocked downloading from all browsers except IE.

DragonMaster

Reaction score
The direct download link on Neowin works from any browser.

I've downloaded it during the night and installed it this morning, but I haven't had the time to test anything as I'm not home right now. All I can say is that it doesn't recognize my 3C905 NIC, but apparently Vista has the same problem and there's a fix.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yea, I can't download it. My pc can't download big files when on windows. It crashes for some reason. I have to use linux to download everything.

Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately?) there is no IE for linux.

Wizet

Reaction score
I had that problem as well, yet installed fine on another PC. So I swapped the DVD drives around, and it installed fine. Try a different drive. ;)

LOL I gave gave just last night and uninstalled my VMWare and deleted all the Windows 7 files. lol:happysad:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't, I recognize windows as unstable, and I use Vista. I could not imagine one of their betas. I will eventually they release it.

xPlozion

Reaction score
actually, without any special drivers or anything, it's not bad. once you get into drivers for special hardware (cap cards, etc...), then vista was a bit buggy. unfortunately punkbuster doesn't work on vista or win7, so i've still gotta use xp until they release a fix for it (this reducing my time playing w/ win 7 to a minumum).

QueenHawkeye

Reaction score
I dual booted Windows 7, along with Vista last night. And I must say that I am impressed. I'm having a hard time going back to Vista, but some of my things don't work, or I don't feel like installing again in 7. I find the new toolbar to be more helpful and useful.

balaji2u

Reaction score
i have written 2 but clear posts about windows 7 and its features on some popular sites but the funnier part is i don't even saw a demo of it. :D

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I am trying to find someone that can mirror it because I seem banned from microsofts server for some reason. I can only dl 185 mb then it says it's finnished
That's not banned from their server at all. It's probably stopping since download.microsoft.com itself is typically a busy host, and second, Microsoft wants people using Akamai as a mirror since their server already spent enough bandwidth to upload the ISOs to Akamai, who is more willing to provide bandwidth and distribute mass amounts of files. Also, if many people were downloading from the download.microsoft.com and not Akamai resposatories, the server may have been dropping connections since it was overloaded.

DragonMaster

Reaction score
I didn't, I recognize windows as unstable, and I use Vista. I could not imagine one of their betas. I will eventually they release it.
I've been using beta 1 since the public release, and, IMO, it's almost as stable as a retail version.

A few non-compatible apps (the kind that installs low-level drivers) do crash, but that's to expect when the programs are not updated. One major problem I found is that the task manager isn't able to kill those apps when they're hanged. The system can't be restarted or shut down because the OS is waiting for the apps to close (required hard reset).

If you only have applications that work well, the system is VERY stable. The Windows Explorer is unfortunately a bit unstable. It hangs often, and when you open folders with it, it sometimes just opens a blank folder...

ejweb

Reaction score
A friend of mine is a MS Beta tester and has Win 7 on his laptop. He mentioned something about receiving his code number so he can just play around and do what ever. He showed me some of the features. One was the option to view open programs running in the task bar as a mini, pop-up window when you hover on the minimized program in the bar. Another was when you take a window that is say; sized to only half of your monitor screen and drag it towards the left or right side; instead of going half off-screen literally resizes itself to a portrait-style window so it is still visible on the screen. Kinda wanna make yourself wished you were a `beta` tester - even though I'm also a MAC user :cool:.

intertec

Reaction score
I installed the beta and it ran very well. I was disappointed that they are not using a new kernel but I had to uninstall it anyway cause I have old motherboard and none of the drivers worked!

zer0ne1337

Reaction score
I am downloading it, I am on a slow connection and it is taking some time to complete. I'll write soon about my experience. By the way, when Vista beta was launched I tried that and I was disappointed, this time I hope that I'll not be disappointed by it! :)

eglecorporation

Reaction score
I tried to but it didnt work for me :( instead i got ubuntu 8.10! its good exept for the fact that to run a couple of things (.deb's) you have get loads of extra .deb's for it to work, but apart from that its really worth getting!

:biggrin: :drool: