Who Here Grabbed Windows 7?

PharaohInc

Reaction score
Used the Beta version of a Dell Optiplex, one of the 900 series and well to me it seems like well...Vista...only with a shiny new wrapper. Don't see what the big fuss is about really...

aimflux

Reaction score
Windows 7 is intended to be a more focused, incremental upgrade to the Windows line, with the goal of being fully compatible with applications and hardware with which Windows Vista is already compatible.

jsm2765

Reaction score
Windows 7 is intended to be a more focused, incremental upgrade to the Windows line, with the goal of being fully compatible with applications and hardware with which Windows Vista is already compatible.

It seems it should be a Vista service pack instead of an entire new product!

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The RTM final build is finished now, and should be available for manufacturers the 6th august, but it's already been leaked, it seems

tridge

Reaction score
I can't wait, I want to purchase a copy ASAP. I've been running since BETA and I'm very excited to finally run the finished product.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Just an update, I put the 7 RC on my primary gaming computer (3 GHz C2D 6 MB L2, GTX 260, 3 GB RAM). Bootup time is the same as when I had Windows Vista (timing from the moment I hit the power button, until everything on desktop/taskbar is loaded). It starts up in 43 seconds, but realistically it would be shorter if my BIOS didn't read the CD drive and waste 5 seconds.

Just a few noticeable issues:
GPU is an additional 8C hotter, probably due to transparency and other effects (1080p resolution)
Less hard drive thrashing compared to Vista
No issues with Mirror's Edge, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, COD:WAW, or L4D (haven't compared framerates, but in-game settings stayed same)

I'll run this RC up until the college I attend sells 7 at a discounted rate, cheaper than that of preorders

safusu

Reaction score
I have windows 7, build 7100. I didn't want to bother with downloading and installing the RTM; I'll just wait until the official one is out. I really like the look and feel of windows 7 though. Very snappy and visually appealing. I really like the default wallpapers and the themes that come with it. Oh yeah, I have the 64-bit version and I haven't tried the 32-bit one so I can't compare, but I would still recommending getting the 64-bit one if you can. I haven't had any driver or complication issues and I'm running it on Bootcamp. Yeah, that's right. Bootcamp.

lhyman

Reaction score

Ha !

Vista supports my video card, my web cam & scanner, Windows 7 does not...

I am not going to buy a $300.00 video card to run windows 7

Right now I multi boot to XP, LINUX & vista

but I use XP 99% of the time and everything is fine (it pays to have 5 hard drives in my system)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Ha !

but I use XP 99% of the time and everything is fine (it pays to have 5 hard drives in my system)

What video cards/devices are you having problems with? (give me the model numbers and manufacturer please). I'm emulating Windows 7 in a Virtual Machine under specs that an 11 year old PC has, and it runs just fine with a score of 1.0 xD. Of course, if I let it emulate my full PC hardware it runs just as well with Aero enabled. And by the way, I saw an article a few weeks ago on how someone managed to get Windows 7 running on a dinosaur of a computer (I think the processor was running at 200Mhz or so. It was a Pentium I box with 96MB of RAM).

Last edited:

lhyman

Reaction score
I'm not at my desktop now and won't be until the morning, I think the video card is a nvidea gforce mmx 440, win 7 recognizes it as a standard video card and only allows me a max resolution of 1024 x 768, however, xp & vista recognize it right ad let go very high resolution

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm not at my desktop now and won't be until the morning, I think the video card is a nvidea gforce mmx 440, win 7 recognizes it as a standard video card and only allows me a max resolution of 1024 x 768, however, xp & vista recognize it right ad let go very high resolution

The GeForce 440MX is a legacy video card pretty much. nVidia stopped making drivers for that card back in 2007 I believe so basically there is no Windows 7 driver for it. You're stuck with VGA mode with that card.

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Ha !

My laptop has the mobile version of that chipset. It's supported by nVidia 86.something, I think, but you have to go via the Microsoft catalog @ http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/ . Either use the hardware ID (just vendor and device (eg VEN=blah&DEV=blah) or look for nvidia 440). They're not necessarily in the right order, but there's only one page of results for me, and only half were applicable (the other half are Quadro business cards).

That driver's good for me at 1600x1200, HOWEVER... (now this'll sound odd...):
Install the driver
Reboot
Set your resolution
Reboot
If the res is back to 800x600 or something:
**REINSTALL THE DRIVER** (it should be in the list of drivers recognised by Windows now, so just look under the nVidia category on the left)
Reboot.

Otherwise, for me at least, it resets the display resolution to what it was when I first installed the driver on every reboot. Well, it does say it's compatible with 2000/XP!

OK: I believe you'll want this one:
Nvidia Corporation - Video - NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X Windows 2000,Windows XP Drivers (Video) 8/2/2004 6.5.7.3 17.9 MB
between half and two-thirds of the way down the page.

dylburger

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with 7 on a netbook? I'm intrigued but want to hear more before I do anything to replace XP.

lhyman

Reaction score
I heard of some people getting it to work on a netbook, but why bother? a netbook has limited resources, and you always want your computer fast. Mine came with XP home and it works fine...

If I was going to trash windows and install something to make it go faster, I would go with UBUNTU Netbook remix, I have tried it on my netbook and it flys !

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook

as far as windows 7 is concerned, I'm going to wait until I buy a new computer, a q core with tons of memory.. at that time the win 7 will most likely come on it..

like I said before, I have win 7 RC but my computer is just not up to par, and my desktop duel boots, XP, Vista & Fedora Linux and everything is fine...

for me Win 7 will just have to wait until I am ready, not the other way around...