Why Do DKIM Checks Fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycoo368

Reaction score
A friend of mine is using x10 directly to handle email on a subdomain of the x10.mx domain. DKIM is enabled along with SPF and DMARC. Out of the reports that come in, they keep stating that the DKIM has failed and that was why messages get put to Junk boxes. Why do they keep failing.

cjptomas80

Reaction score
Under Emain Manager check the DKIM setting there. try select and switch the email accounts to enable if disable.
under DNS setting there should be a TXT name "x._domainkey"

Then wait for DNS propagation.

Last edited:

cjptomas80

Reaction score
check the box of the email to authenticate then click "enable dkim"

then on Account Manager > DNS management there should be a DNS recored Type TXT name "x._domainkey"

cjptomas80

Reaction score
Sorry I can't help you there beyond those step, since I am using Gmail as my email provider instead on local email x10hosting.

mycoo368

Reaction score
Sorry I can't help you there beyond those step, since I am using Gmail as my email provider instead on local email x10hosting.
Yeah. I’ve been telling him to move over to Zoho since they’re the only good free one around that’ll allow the use of their own domain as Google and Microsoft have no free option.

cjptomas80

Reaction score
As I see it. They need to configure/sign the email client too but I didn't see anything on roundcube client provided by x10hosting.

mycoo368

Reaction score
It seems I got it resolved for them. I had them add two addresses on the SPF record. They are on x11 so on top of the IP, I had them add the domain itself and it seemed an xo10.x10hosting.com address was also there, guess the actual hardware, now it seems fine for them.

mycoo368

Reaction score
Though I also noticed that x10 has decided to impose send limits on the servers of 100 emails per day for the whole account and 50 for any account that is not the main one.

They also imposed restrictions removing mailing lists, forwarders, and no autoresponders except for vacation messages.

Last edited:

agentxin

Reaction score
@mycoo368 I have the exact same issue with DKIM, I figured out that DirectAdmin puts tabs and newlines into the DKIM record which makes it invalid.
I don't think there is any way to fix this, however looking through my personal email, I see that many sites do not use DKIM and yet are successfully delivered to inbox. I therefore have disabled DKIM, now I think it is up to the sender reputability that decides whether my emails are marked as spam or not: for clients who have replied in the past to my emails they are now receiving it in inbox, but for new clients they are still getting marked as spam.

This post has the details of the DKIM problem: [ https://x10hosting.com/community/threads/invalid-dkim-due-to-tabs-inserted.207023/ ]

mycoo368

Reaction score
@mycoo368 I have the exact same issue with DKIM, I figured out that DirectAdmin puts tabs and newlines into the DKIM record which makes it invalid.
I don't think there is any way to fix this, however looking through my personal email, I see that many sites do not use DKIM and yet are successfully delivered to inbox. I therefore have disabled DKIM, now I think it is up to the sender reputability that decides whether my emails are marked as spam or not: for clients who have replied in the past to my emails they are now receiving it in inbox, but for new clients they are still getting marked as spam.

This post has the details of the DKIM problem: [ https://x10hosting.com/community/threads/invalid-dkim-due-to-tabs-inserted.207023/ ]
A good amount of them use SPF + DKIM checks to determine where the the email would end up. After adjusting the SPF record a bit and then enable DKIM again, seems to make emails go to others’ inboxes.

EDIT: Seemed to be a fluke. Now they are going back to SPAM boxes. This is the fail reason I get: "key DNS reply corrupt"

Last edited:

mycoo368

Reaction score
Now some of them are passing and some are not. I wonder what is not propagating properly. It cant just pass and fail at the same time.

cjptomas80

Reaction score
I know now why DKIM always failed. x10hosting had an email server to collect all emails and filtering it before sending out of x10hosting network as mention here on this post and reply. That email server didn't have the DKIM signature match on user individual DKIM settings hence it will fail if I am right. Still I can send emails even my DMARC policy of reject as long as that email server ip is listed on your SPF settings.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
you are probably right about that, but that relay server was not enabled for DA until a couple days ago (and it was present with cPanel as well since a few years back), before that it went from the server directly (though with the server hostname I guess)

cjptomas80

Reaction score
Well in days of Cpanel it never relay emails I sent out since it never triggers my DMARC policy in my case or it just I never or rarely sent an email in the first place that I overlook the logs send from DMARC. Thank you @Anna for assistance.

mycoo368

Reaction score
I know now why DKIM always failed. x10hosting had an email server to collect all emails and filtering it before sending out of x10hosting network as mention here on this post and reply. That email server didn't have the DKIM signature match on user individual DKIM settings hence it will fail if I am right. Still I can send emails even my DMARC policy of reject as long as that email server ip is listed on your SPF settings.
Is that the same IP for all the servers for where email goes through? Whenever I send stuff out it still shows what appears to be a domain but like a hardware host name. Even though I'm on x13, email shows something going through a server xo12.x10hosting.com

cjptomas80

Reaction score
It should be edge.x10hosting or the IP address mention in my other post. I am on mobile hence I can't copy the IP address. Anyway all emails sending out will be sent to this email server regardless where are account host before sending out to intended recipient.

mycoo368

Reaction score
It should be edge.x10hosting or the IP address mention in my other post. I am on mobile hence I can't copy the IP address. Anyway all emails sending out will be sent to this email server regardless where are account host before sending out to intended recipient.
So I should add that IP, when I find it becuase im also on mobile, on the SPF record?

Status
Not open for further replies.