Why do people wish......

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Why do people wish they were rich?
Why do people wish they were handsome or pretty?
Why do people wish they were or had anything?
Why do people wish they were popular?
Why do people wish for a family?.....

My real question is....
Why do people wish for something all? Why do people not try to get what they want, and expect someone else to give them something?

I hate people wishing they had this or that, I am sorry for my hate, as I hate no one other then for that reason. Hate is a "bad word" in my vocabulary, just like the word "no" is.

I hate people saying no they can't do something, or no I can't, I hate people that wish for something or say they can't do something.

I believe they expect some higher power to help them. But I know that will never happen, as in my opinion the only one that can help anyone, is that person who needs help, and those people that person who needs helps asks help from.

I am not sure if this makes sense, but please respond if you read this.

Thankyou.

(I hope this was an ok forum to place this thread in).

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
Because, those who wish, at least, have a goal set in their minds,

but wishing will not get you anywhere, nor anything

although some people wish, and then work hard for it

mattura

Reaction score
That all sounds vaguely anti-religious...
...and I'm not going to get into one of those debates...!

but to answer, I 'wish' for things that I want to achieve in the future, then set about doing so. If the goal is unachievable, I briefly think 'well what if it was...would I be that happy?', then forget about it.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I love (sarcasm) how people wish for something and do nothing about it though, they think that they are going to get it, buy simply wishing it would happen.

I don't wish anymore, I choose to do things that would lead to such a wish coming true.

mattura

Reaction score
oh so you mean THAT sort of wishing - more like wishful thinking...
Maybe people are not actually wishing, just voicing out loud that they are poor and underprivileged, because they want some sympathy

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, as far as I know about wishes, I do know they help people set up goals and such. I've always wished that I was a rich person with a Billion dollars (like I'm going to get there soon) but given that I have that wish, it'll at least push me to be a successful person rather than not having a goal and wishing that I was a normal, everyday kind of person.

MuRRe

Reaction score
The reason people wish are many. You can't say that everybody that "wish for something" is bad people.
I mean, I for one understand why people in poor countries WISH for us with money to help from an situation that is hard to come out of.
Alot of the "wishing" in the west part of the world comes from the fact that we build our lifestyles around owning stuff and thats what I think is a big reason for alot of peoples unhappienes.

Max1337

Reaction score
My guess is to make their lives better lol.
Though, everyone might have other reasons... Like if someone they loved was ill, and they wish for them to get better.

shadowdragon

Reaction score
People wish because it gives them hope. If you don't have hope what is the point.
-----shadow dragon

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
People wish because it gives them hope. If you don't have hope what is the point.
-----shadow dragon

Hope? Is that what everyone says in there minds...(sorry just testing my debating skills with this post)....

Do you believe in the absence of something?...you can measure how hot it is, but not how cold it is.

You can say it is dark out. Why is it dark? Because there is no light. Without light, it is dark. Is there anything darker then dark, or anyway to measure it? NOPE: Dark is just the absence of light.
-------

Now, if you wish for something, you are saying you gain hope? Well what is hope? Can you say some people have more hope then others? How is this hope measured? Or let me say, it can't be measured.

The more you wish for something, the more hope you gain. Not wishing according to what I said, and why you may wish for something...would mean you would not have hope?

Well, now tell me, does a wish make a person more hopeful?

Last edited:

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
Hope is a concept that cannot be proven nor disproven because it is within us, within all of us is hope, and to achieve a goal first...

isn't it to have dreams, then to set goals, then to succeed.

same idea...

wish, set goals how to get it, then get what you want!