WII or PS3?

mycashcow

Reaction score
I'd lean more toward the PS3 myself, mainly because of the bluray player.

However, my sister-in-law had a PS3 for about a month and it recently crapped out on her...some problem with overheating. But Sony actually sent her an empty packaging box to send the unit back to them in so it wouldn't get wrecked by the courier (I guess?). Still waiting for it to come back and she is in PS3 withdrawal!

Reziah

Reaction score
Well I suppose I'm a little Biased, but a few friends of mine have PS3's that they never play (Because, well, it has only 2 worthy games at the moment being MotorStorm and Assassins Creed, which is also on 360 anyway)

I personally love my Nintendo Wii. My dad bought one for his place because he loved it so much too, and a friend sold his PS3 and bought a Wii so that's my argument.

It all depends on what you want I suppose but do you really need a Blue Ray player, because that seems to be the only thing a PS3 has at the moment (Until Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid come out)

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
PS3 has more intense graphics, but alot of sony games have long wait times that I have experianced..

the wii is a quick system, built for more of a family style..rather than graphic intense

LeColeWH

Reaction score
Everytime I see Zelda, and super mario I want to go and buy a WII. I live for Link of Zelda, he kicks so much butt.

imaran

Reaction score
Well I suppose I'm a little Biased, but a few friends of mine have PS3's that they never play (Because, well, it has only 2 worthy games at the moment being MotorStorm and Assassins Creed, which is also on 360 anyway)

I personally love my Nintendo Wii. My dad bought one for his place because he loved it so much too, and a friend sold his PS3 and bought a Wii so that's my argument.

It all depends on what you want I suppose but do you really need a Blue Ray player, because that seems to be the only thing a PS3 has at the moment (Until Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid come out)

you are so poorly informed...

PS3 has:

Heavenly Sword (awesome)
Conan (awesome)
Resistance Fall of man (good)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (awesome)
Warhawk (awesome but multiplayer only)
Unchated: Drake's Fortune (awesome, most stunning graphics of any current console game)

just because you haven't tried them, doesn't mean they don't exist. give any of those a try, especially the awesome ones.

Clinton

Reaction score
I wouldn't call Wii childish, but as far as gameplay goes, the all motion is pretty tiresome. It was "OMG this is the future of gaming" for like a few months, until third parties started feeding us crap ports and mini games.

Out of the two, PS3 is a real game machine in my opinion. I own both but my Wii sees very little play time.

XombieJer

Reaction score
PlayStation 3 all the way unless you have kids that are like 5 years old.
I've been playing PlayStation since it first came out and they've been sucessful ever since and the PlayStation is just their next installment. The price is up there but it's totally worth it.

PS3 has Wii beat all the way and like I said if you have young kids then and only then would I go with the Wii because Nintendo I think went with family oriented gaming and like someone said earlier Wii doesn't really have any "real" games for it. You can't buy Guitar Hero, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, Call of Duty, and basically any game that's good for it.

Also, controller wise the PS3 has it beat. I like the idea that Nintendo came up with but it's also a lot of work so if you're a fat kid then that's the way to go but I don't know about you but I'm workin, running, working out all the time and when I wanna play a game I don't want to have to work playing that too.

If you're a Nintendo fan boy then sorry but those are the stone cold facts and I apologize for being so real for y'all :biggrin:

danger9918

Reaction score
PS3 is much better... it has better graphics, better games
the only downside is that it more expensive..

Silverspoon

Reaction score
A hardcore gamer will want the PS3, Sony is usually on the ball when it comes to top of the line stuff. I just pray BluRay doesn't fall by the wayside like BETAMAX or we're all in trouble...

My Wii is great for my little cousins (whom by sheer luck hasn't broken a window w/ the Wii-mote yet), and outstanding for generic family time.

Personally, I'll stick to my computer and WoW XD

IllusionGames

Reaction score
I think a ps3 is much better, because i don't want to look stupid playing a wii, knowing that I will. the will is more for little kids who need to be moving alot =P

Archkronos

Reaction score
wii is good because it makes u active and is healthy my bro lost like 5 pounds.

Oh no. Not this 'Wii makes you lose weight!' stuff. I like the Wii, but god sake.

GET HEALTHIER. GO ON A DIET OR SOMETHING.

SkyStormKuja

Reaction score
I think a ps3 is much better, because i don't want to look stupid playing a wii, knowing that I will. the will is more for little kids who need to be moving alot =P
In the old days, grown-ups playing video games with a controller looked stupid. That doesn't mean they didn't play. Gamers tend to ignore outwordly comments.

Oh no. Not this 'Wii makes you lose weight!' stuff. I like the Wii, but god sake.

GET HEALTHIER. GO ON A DIET OR SOMETHING.
That is probably just to sell the console to parents... -_- I personally agree, that is a stupid thing to say about a gaming console...

Loneua Technologies

Reaction score
You will absolutely love the PS3. Just because of the blu-ray player. Again the consoles are all about preference but when you said you need it for entertainment as well you should go with the one that has High-Definition on it.

Hope this helps

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The PS3 has blue ray and is cheaper than a physical blue ray player. So for that it is a bargain. Otherwise it is more expensive to develop for the PS3 so the variety of games will be less and the retail of the games wil be more than both the Wii and the 360.
The Wii is a industry first in its approach to interactivity, with the numchuck you will have gamming experiences that shame all other consoles. The graphics are not as good and it only has flash memory.
It depends on what the priority is :
Great graphics, blue ray and upgradeable hdd -> PS3.
Great game play and hours of fun -> the Wii.

Xemnas

Reaction score
See, the thing here is, a lot of you are calling the Wii "childish" based on the "kiddie games" available for it. Yes, there will be kiddie titles on the Wii - hell, they crop up on every console - but that doesn't make it childish. It's like saying Disney only makes kiddie shows and films; you did watch Pirates of the Carribean, right? Now go play Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition for goodness' sake ;)

Now, to the merits of each console. The PS3 has Blu-Ray (but it's not a real advantage yet because of the format war), high-definition graphics better than in most Wii games (but don't expect Sony to deliver on it's pre-release eye-candy promises), and of course the DualShock 3 (even if SIXAXIS is cheap Wii remote knock-off). Also, a lot of upcoming PS3 titles will be exclusive to it, and the console has a much wider range of support from developers; there aren't many developers supporting the Wii at this stage.

The Wii, on the other hand, is filled to the brim with originality - creating Miis and weather and news updates are just a couple of new things Nintendo have had a crack at, and that's not including what Wii developers are coming up with - you don't see many games like Wii Sports or Red Steel for example. In a way the lack of power is a plus, since it's going to force developers to think of new stuff instead of thinking about the best way to show something blowing up into a million pieces. So far it's also outsold the PS3 and Xbox 360 (last time I checked anyway), and I have never heard of a Wii experiencing system failure, bricking or even three red lights that form a semi-ring and mean no more playing on that machine (sorry Micro$oft, couldn't resist); kudos to Nintendo for getting it right first time. The light-gun genre is a lot more accessible with the remote as well; no more buying G-Cons separately (though I bet it's only a matter of time before a full-blown Wii light-gun is released), and Virtual Console is a huge plus (assuming you're willing to part with some extra cash for the Classic Controller and Wii Points). Unfortunately though I have yet to see a Wii game make full use of online capabilities, which kind of feels like we're regressing back to Multitaps (only with wireless remotes and without those black bulky things reserved almost exclusively for Mashed these days, i.e. the Multitaps).

The final verdict: PS3 is definitely the safer bet - with lots of hot new exclusives coming up and even hotter visuals, you're pretty much covered. But if you're looking for something more original that doesn't have reports of widespread crashes or bricking, then the Wii is for you.

OK, I'm done now ;)

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just a note.

Nintendo was the last of the consoles to use CD format and then the last to use DVD format. That never stopped them from keeping up to date with the latest games.
Nintendo would rather make good use of old technology rather than try and shoot ahead in the new technology.

imaran

Reaction score
Using DVDs is acceptable for now, however in a few years when the PS3 and 360 are pushing their systems more, Wii will look the exact same way as it does now. Hopefully by then some better games will be out.

As for the argument that it's harder to make games for the ps3 so there are less, MOST games are cross console between PS3 and 360. Nothing really keeps them from it. There are MANY exclusive ps3 games coming out that will display a hint of the PS3's power and there are some scheduled further out that really show off the ability (Afrika, FFXIII to name 2).

The argument that Wii has better gameplay is pure fallacy. PS3 games have already been found to have better story lines and more replay value. The controls for the Wii are what keep people playing their games, not the games themselves for the most part. Resident Evil 4 is fun all the way through for someone who didn't play it already, which 95%+ of the gamers that like the series already did. The only good exclusive game that I can think of for the Wii that is truly for Teens and older is Metroid. The rest are ports from other consoles.

Last edited: