Will something terrible happen in 2012?

Will calamity strike in 2012?

• Yes, the end is near!

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No, the end is near crowd are nutcases!

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Let's have beer!

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

BentFX

Reaction score
The year 2012 is coming up quickly with several different ancient prophecies pointing to it as being the cataclysmic end of the age.

First is the Mayan calender which ends Dec. 21st of 2012. It doesn't really end, but signifies a time of woe and the end of the current 'life as we know it' era.

Supposedly the ancient Chinese fortune telling device, the I Ching also points to 2012 as being the end of time.

Bible codes, while being extremely controversial, also predict a collision with a comet in 2012.

When asked about the end times Jesus said, When the fig tree puts forth new leaves you know that summer is near and this generation shall by no means pass away before all these things have come to pass. In the bible the fig tree is often used to refer to the nation of Israel. The first children born in the modern day nation of Israel will be 65 years old in 2012.

Last and most startling is alignment of our solar system with the galactic plane. As our solar system orbits the center of the milky way galaxy it drifts up and down on a 13,000 year cycle. In Dec of 2012 the solar system will be aligned with the galactic core as it passes from below to above the galactic plane.

Is it all a bunch of Hooey, or does it really point to destruction? You decide.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I do know an Internet Apocalypse might happen in 2012. It would be scary if all of the things you mentioned did happen...

vicnet

Reaction score
Well, this is all interesting and stuff, but...

What if something actually happens in 2012, but not something bad, something totally awesome ?!

Like, aliens coming to visit, or discovery of a clean renewable energy source, or the end of Microsoft, or maybe even world peace...

But well... I also have to admit that all those things are way less likely than a global war, genocides, or world destruction by an asteroid... It's sad to admit it but true. Except maybe for the energy source part, but if such a thing was discovered, what would it be used for as soon as the technology is mature enough ? War. Yep, that's sad, I know...

Anyway, one way or the other I really don't see a point in dreading/anticipating that precise date, because we don't know for sure if something will happen and what, and even if we did we would most likely have no way to prevent it.

That's why I said that the "end is near" crowd are nutcases. Because even if they're right, whatever.

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
After watching the movies "I Am Legend" and "Resident Evil" and then listening to the radio the other day about how some chap is messing with inserting human DNA into animal embryos to clone humans(with success), I started working through my plan of action should such things happen.

This is all to real in the day and age we are in, people messing with Biological warfare viruses and looking for cures for cancer and HIV.

All I know is that if the above events don't happen, South Africa is going to eat itself up at the rate we are going. Almost every official in government is being charged with fraud or something similar, we have overloaded our power stations. The roads have gone to hell and there is no justice in this country.

We are all doomed, so start planing for the long run !

interwebtubes

Reaction score
Eh, it's a load of bull if you ask me. There's no way that we can predict what's going to happen in the future, but if something awful does happen you can bet it's not going to be on account of some ridiculous ancient riddle or whatever.

Jesse

Reaction score
No...
It depends on us...

In the world today we are experiencing global warming. If we not take action into it to prevent it in the few more years it may be the end of the world because of global warming...

And also according to scientists there will be a Solar Storm on year 2011.

vicnet

Reaction score
Actually, there is no such thing as man-made global warming.

Ok, we pollute, and it's bad, but not because it causes global warming (it doesn't), but because it kills animals and destroys biodiversity by making important species go extinct.

About global warming, I recommend you watch the video "The Great Global Warming Swindle." It explains how carbon dioxide has little to no consequences on global warming, but rather global warming makes the oceans produce more carbon dioxide. Besides, compared to the oceans and nature, we men don't produce any significant amounts of carbon dioxide.

Global warming is a natural even that has already taken place in the past. We just don't have weather archives that go back far enough to actually know all the mechanisms of the Earth's weather system.

People nowadays freak out because big ice chunks rip off the poles, but that is also natural. The ice just gets renewed in a big cycle. The only difference nowadays is that we can see it happen with satellites and scientists staring at the ice waiting for something to happen...

Anyway, all I've said so far is explained far better in the documentary cited above.

A link to the video on Google Video.

I used to be all upset about global warming too, but now I know we didn't do it. Now I'm just upset about pollution destroying our ecosystem. Which by the way is in itself a big deal because it could also bring us (humanity) to an end.

So Jesse is right saying it's all up to us. He's just wrong about global warming. It's up to us but if we waste our time and energy trying to solve a problem that is actually not one (it's just a natural phenomenon), we might be missing on the real issues and that would be really bad.

Last edited:

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I totaly disagree with what you are saying.

There has never been CO2 levels as high as there have been now.

Have you seen the movie "A Inconvenient Truth" ?

There is a way to see back 100's of thousands of years. They look at the CO2 levels in the ice on the polar caps. They core drill a sample that goes far down and from this they can deduce the CO2 levels in the atmosphere.

I find it very unbelievable that we had nothing to do with it. Its kinda like when our president said that AID's has nothing to do with HIV or when our to be president said that having a shower after sex will prevent HIV.

Last edited:

BentFX

Reaction score
I have to agree that mankind is playing a substantial role in warming. Yes there are natural trends, but mans activity is helping to drive the current warming.

Last edited:

Loneua Technologies

Reaction score
What is Religion?
Its a bunch of people who wrote a book and got people to follow it. Do you believe everything that comes out of that book? I wouldnt, some stuff is acceptable but i can tell you this much, the second you start believing that sort of stuff, your doomed.

vicnet

Reaction score
Edit -> Sorry, this is quite huge, when I get carried away I can type forever...

Well, like I said it's all explained in the documentary I linked to. But basically it's saying that besides the sun's activity, the energy of other distant suns/stars affects the earth's temperature. They go much more in detail about that but I'll just sum it up.

The oceans are the n°1 source of CO2 on Earth, and they produce more when they are hotter. However, they can't warm up that fast, so it takes quite a while for their temperature to take effect.

About the sample drillings in the ice, people (like Al Gore for example) have been saying that a close relation was found between the CO2 levels and the temperatures during those studies. But the relation goes the other way around : higher temperatures warm up the oceans, which takes time, and after a little gap the CO2 levels will start rising too. So if you look at a graph of CO2 levels throughout ages, and draw a temperatures graph with it, they will indeed match, but if you look closely, there is a gap: the temperature rises, and then the CO2 levels rise.

Besides all that, looking at that same temperature graph, you'd notice that when heavy industry started (that means when there were no pollution regulations whatsoever) the temperatures actually dropped for a while! They then started rising again, and people started saying that it was all our fault.

The guy who originally mentioned a theory according to which we would be responsible is actually interviewed in that documentary, and he says that it was just a theory, that now he realizes that it was wrong, and he's kind of upset that people took his word so far.

Now, about politicians' say about all that, it is also mentioned in the documentary. They just say what people want to hear! There is so much activism against "man-made" global warming that it would just be political suicide not to mention it, and not to agree with the widely accepted theory of us being all responsible. Granted, you can not base any affirmations on what government people say, because they obviously lie a lot. You can't assume they always lie either... But the fact is that they almost all agree about that. If they're wrong/lying as usual, then I'm right. If they are right and I'm wrong, then your argument doesn't make sense, because you're just saying they tell lies.

Anyway, I am not going to try and force anyone to think the way I do. I am no scientist, and I am no omniscient god. Therefore, I could very well be wrong. But you might just as well be wrong too ;)

All I can ask you guys to do before arguing against me any further, is to watch the video I linked to. It'll explain all this way better than I could ever. Like I said before, I used to think we were responsible for global warming, so I know what the arguments are on that side of the debate. I would not say you are wrong without knowing about both sides of the matter. Please try to do the same.

Then, if you still disagree, we can keep talking about it or just accept that we will not agree ;)

Now, I also want to point out that I am NOT saying that we should keep polluting without worrying at all. Pollution is a big issue, as well as deforestation, and hunting/poaching endangered species. The destruction of our ecosystem is a huge problem of its own, and could wipe us out quite fast too. So even if global warming really is our fault, and even if we sort that out, we may still be wiped out because of some unbalance in the ecosystem. Anyway, I think scientists will come up with alternate sources of energies very soon, or may even already have.

But now that is yet another matter. I think big gas companies are holding back research or better yet: leading research themselves and keeping it secret, because they know they're running low on petroleum (which they are trying to sell for more, since they don't have much left), and they're preparing their future. I think that as soon as we're out of gas, we'll hear about new energy sources and new cars that run on water/electricity/whatever. And the gas companies will be selling those to us, and keep making big bucks.

Ahem... I kinda went out-of-topic right there... But maybe not. Maybe the 2012 catastrophe will be petroleum disappearing from the face of the earth...

Anyway, please watch "The Great Global Warming Swindle" and let's talk about it some more after that.

Last edited:
F

Fahad

how enter in cpanel I have created one week
WTF???

As for the topic:
We shouldn't be looking at what will happen in the future. We should be looking at what is happenning now. We can choose to believe something terrible is going to happen then. But many terrible things are happenning now, and that's much more relevant.

Also, global warming will not end the world

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Well, this is all interesting and stuff, but...

What if something actually happens in 2012, but not something bad, something totally awesome ?!
<snip>
or the end of Microsoft,

That's a bad thing. No more games, because Windows won't be around to run them.

vicnet

Reaction score
Actually, it would be great, even for the games.

Because the developers would have to make cross-platform games for what would be left : GNU/Linux, Mac, Unix, whatever floats your boat.

That would force them to design, code and optimize their games much better than most do nowadays, even just for the sake of being easily portable. (though there are some PC games ported to/from consoles that still suck in that regard)

Same thing goes for hardware vendors having to make drivers for other operating systems. (We GNU/Linux users would finally have real ATI drivers that work!)

But the best about that if it happened, would be that consumers would finally have a real choice when they buy a PC about the software they want/don't want installed on it. Because right now unless you buy your PC online on some websites that give the choice (like Dell recently) or go to a computer shop where they'll custom build it, or unless you just build it yourself (kinda hard for a laptop) there is NO such choice whatsoever. I know : I tried. My laptop died and I needed a new one, and every single store I went to told me they didn't have a choice but to sell Windows and a bunch of other stuff pre-installed. And they got angry when I told them it was illegal to force-selling a product with another one (at least here in France it's illegal... officially). And a custom laptop was out of my budget. I ended up getting very lucky and finding a good laptop with no operating system online.

Besides, I already had Windows XP with my other laptop. If I had wanted to use it, I already had it, so why in hell would I want to buy a new copy along with a new computer ? -_-

So, yeah, if Microsoft hadn't existed then, or if they hadn't had that kind of "marketing" (forcing people to buy your stuff isn't marketing in my opinion) I would have gotten a replacement laptop only one or two days after my other one broke. Maybe even on the same day...

Last edited:

VeggieBoy

Reaction score
No...
It depends on us...

In the world today we are experiencing global warming. If we not take action into it to prevent it in the few more years it may be the end of the world because of global warming...

And also according to scientists there will be a Solar Storm on year 2011.

I will Have to agree with you there. All this religion BS is annoying. In my town there is about 50 churches and there isn't even 4,000 people.

Now about the ending of the world in 2012. I don't believe that the end is that near, but the end is very near. The way we are going we won't live much longer. We won't get rid of gas for a very long time because the government politician guys are making mucho bucks. If it isn't are fumes that kill us it will be a war that will or maybe a disease... We are always fighting over something, usually something stupid. Something like a major bomb war will go on and kill out the rest of humanity. Or maybe HIV or some kind of disease or bug or whatever will get out of hand and kill us...

Like I said above 2012 is too soon... We will die soon though.:rant2:

alcramer

Reaction score
A lot of New-Age people in the US think there's some kind of planetery shift in human consciousness going on, and it will manesfest in a big way by 2012. The basic idea is that we'll all (well, most of us) be thinking a lot less like George Bush, and a lot more like the Dalai Lama. It would be nice if this were true...

Sohail

Reaction score
Yeah iv'e heard a bit about this. There used to be this ancient religion who predicted the 9/11 attack and they also predicted that the world would end in December 21st 2012 so it could be possible... :(

gmtech

Reaction score
come on everybody knows the world is going to end in 2019! Some astroyed (yea like i know how to spell!) is supposed to hit.

cointoss

Reaction score
Again, I don't believe we are causing global warming, just as I don't believe dinosaurs caused global cooling. One must be careful when choosing what to believe. A few years ago, magazines were all buzzing about global cooling (though it appears no one remembers...) I'm not saying that our actions don't cause the world to heat up, because I don't really know to what extent we influence this. What I am saying is the world has warmed and cooled for millions of years, with our without us. Furthermore, I would wager you couldn't measure CO2 from ice that likely melted countless times since the birth of Earth.

As for the 2012, it could happen. But one thing people should note is that even many religious leaders now interpret Revelations to refer to an end of not the world but an age (some speculate Technology). Think about it. If there is a global war that does not destroy the world completely, how much of the world would have to be destroyed to end electricity. Not very much.

I think at best, and possibly not 2012, we should all prepare to grow a garden and raise animals. lol. I'm certain it is not the first time the age of man has started over. And it is foolhardy to assume that man will dominate the world forever. We see species going extinct everyday. Its only a matter of time before we also become extinct.

rlodge

Reaction score
I voted "Let's have a beer". Can't change it, not going to worry about it. If it happens, it happens. I'm not about to lose sleep over it.