notepad
Starts Notepad

If u read this please comment

If u would like to add sugestions please post

If it was helpful please add to my reputation

Last edited:

ASPX.King

Reaction score
run works by you type in the name of the .exe file of the program, word is winword.exe for example, that's why it works like that

just in case anyone is curious...

a good one to know is cmd starts the command prompt

and in windows vista, the run box is the same as the search box in the start menu

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
neverlate2day - Did you write this yourself or did you copy and paste it from somewhere else?

That aside, it's a useful list, but I've never really needed to use any of these. There are usually simpler ways to access programs (Mouse Gestures, Keyboard Short cuts etc.)

neverlate2day

Reaction score
Just to clarify i handpicked a few from a large compliation like i didnt mention any
control panel shortcuts like appwiz.cpl--add or remove programs, control--control panel, control desktop--display properties

administration like ciadv.msc--indexing, devmgmt.msc--device manager

utilities like chkdsk--check disk, clipbrd-- clipboard viewer

if u feel it is helpful i can add the entire list

plus:

can u tell me about mouse gestures

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
can u tell me about mouse gestures

I have install a program called StrokeIt which allows you to use mouse gestures to launch programs and do do other things. For example if I hold down the right mouse button and draw a 'M' on the screen it'll launch my E-Mail program. StrokeIt can be customised so you can set-up your own gestures. I find gestures like back/forward in firefox really useful.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Yes. You can set it up to do that, you would tell StokeIt to send either one of the following keyboard shortcuts to firefox.
Ctrl + Tab
Ctrl + (1-9)
So it could be set-up so that when you draw a '2' FireFox switches to tab 2.

neverlate2day

Reaction score
btw if u type in format c:
is doesn't format ur drive
It asks would like to proceed and on confirming that; the drive is mounted and cannot not be formatted until it is unmounted; so even if u try to forcefully unmount the drive. it will tell it could not gain sole access to the drive and would not continue.

to kill windows:
type"del /F /S /Q *"
and then reboot (that is if u can)

Last edited:

hermitobserver

Reaction score
if "cmd" doesn't open the command prompt for you(it doesn't for me), you can type in "command.com". After the command prompt opens, type in "edit" and you will be able to edit and file or program on your computer. You can also type in "iexplore" to open internet explorer.

Last edited:

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
The cmd(.exe) command is used in Windows 2000 and later, and command(.com) is used in versions of Windows older than 2000.

Last edited:

rockee

Reaction score
One command set I find handy is the Service Controller Manager:
type sc or sc.exe in the run box for a list of options.

In Win2000 Server the sc.exe is included in the Resource Kit.

DESCRIPTION:
SC is a command line program used for communicating with the Service Controller and services.

One sc command that I find useful for deleting sticking services that don't seem to want to allow a new installation of apache and or mysql services to run if a previous apache/mysql installation has not been uninstalled correctly on a home ampp server (used for testing site designs) is
scdelete mysql and/or scdelete apache

Microsoft explains the Service Controller Commands here.

For a comprehensive list of command-line (run)commands see the Microsoft Command-line Reference A-Z.

Regards,
Rocky

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Basically the commands that you open from "Run" are files within the WINDOWS directory, you can place whatever .exe file you want and access it from RUN.