Windows Vista: The Ow starts now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
AREO is running on my laptop. Not sure about the others though.

t2t2t

Reaction score
So... when following occurs?

Win 98 > Win XP > Win Vista
All WIN < LINUX

[he he hee]

mikel2k3

Reaction score
I use a version of xp that somebody made on a forum im on... tis called 'tinyXP_version3'

Its more or less a stripped down version of windowsXp professional, works great and fast on my amazingly crap computers :)

Joker Boy

Reaction score
Niiice bank card!

I'm running windows Vista on my mac right now, I need RAM bad only got 512 Megs ='(

Last edited:

Equiflux

Reaction score
Even if my system was built wrong(Which I see kind of being unlikely, as putting a bunch of parts into a Mobo and case is pretty much straight forward IMO) and Vista is perfectly awesome, there's still one thing I'm not too sure about: http://www.nowpublic.com/government_spooks_helped_microsoft_build_vista

Hey, even though I'm not a terrorist, I'd still hate to know that I'm being watched when I IM a friend, watched when I play a game, watched when I work in Photoshop, watched when I do anything else.

dest581

Reaction score
The NSA additions are 99% likely to just be actual security stuff since, you know, the NSA would like their own data secure. Though, yes, I am paranoid about it as well :p

As I'm going to college next year, and will need a new computer (current one is awful :D), my plan is as follows

I will get a pc that can actually run Vista well. Then, I'll use gParted to take a large chunk of the main partition out. I'll leave a few GB for Vista to expand. Then, I'll make a second NTFS partition for storage space of programs/games. On a second drive (probably stolen from my current computer) I'll put XP, Ubuntu, and a FAT32 drive for sharing stuff between all 3 operating systems.

That way, I'll be able to do anything with the computer (except survive the apocalypse).

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
[B said:
Trixter[/B]]

ROFL

That’s not entierly true micro iv done over 40 upgrade installs and not a problem on one of em.... well nothing that isn't just bad planning on Vistas side.

Vista requires atleast 1gig of ram to run correctly more if your running it with the areo system enabled. Its also built to ask for the administrator password every time you make even the slightest change ( alittle something thay stole/borrowed from linux but atleast in linux you can disable it) thay call it a security feature.

Heres a little something mose people iv talked to dont know,its called the five point rule, microsoft alowes you to change upto five points of hardware , with each peice of hardware having a point value if i remember correctly your MB has a point value of between 2-4 depending on what it has onboard, if you exceed the five points you have to buy a whole new OS from Microsoft!! At FULL price!!! this means if your building is struck by lightning or a power surge and fries your computer (or even certian componints in your computer) you have to not only buy new hardware but new software as well!!!! all this is NOT even mentioning the Machine ID code they wright to a chip on your MB that is checked every time Vista is installed/reinstalled Its “Job” is to record (A)The current Hardware installed in your machine and (B) how many times youve installed Vista on that machine. After a certian number of Installs/Reinstalls it requires you to buy a new product code from Microsoft this is kinda like the verification on XP(which you have to do on Vista aswell) but it now uses the hardware as well as the software key online.

So what do i say to all the people buying and installing Vista? Knock yourself out. Ill install the sucker for you but as for me? Ill be giving it a complete skip. XP was intrusive and constraning enough for my taste. Im currently migrating to mac and linux, something which i see more and more of the tech people who went for longhorn/vista training and were involved in beta testing are doing.

Maybe there is a way around this.

1. Install vista
2. Make an image

so if you need to re-install, the activation and hardware id are the same, and it dosn't know its a new install?

It won't know, brandons right.

You can disable UAC, its in System somewhere (Or User Accounts, i c ant remember and i cant be bothered to install the beta again...)

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Anyone here use ReadyBoost?

I'm gonna buy a new comp soon, and I'm wondering if I should spend an additional $130 for an additional gig of RAM (2 GB, 2 DIMMs), or if I should just get a 4 GB ReadyBoost enabled flash drive for $50 to save $130

t2t2t

Reaction score
Anyone here use ReadyBoost?

I'm gonna buy a new comp soon, and I'm wondering if I should spend an additional $130 for an additional gig of RAM (2 GB, 2 DIMMs), or if I should just get a 4 GB ReadyBoost enabled flash drive for $50 to save $130

Speed if ran by ReadyBoost = Usb speed

Currntly high speed for USB is 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s), and max speed (by usb hubs) about half of that.

So this between cost vs. speed.

Kamikaze_Hamster

Reaction score
If I wasn't such a gamer I would say goodbye to Microsoft, and jump ship over to Linux permanently (also an intense level of programming knowledge wouldn't hurt either). Unfortunately, Microsoft is cutting off XP support around June-July for XP, if I'm right. So, Vista for me, might be a forced "upgrade" (I use that term very lightly).

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Noone's answered this so... In IE7, just click "Browse Folders" at the bottom of the window. "it doesn't even give you a choice where your downloaded files are saved".

Runs very fast and without a hitch on my PC. It's not the fastest in the world, but it's enough for me. Step up from my old Celeron machine, and I thought that wasn't too bad.

Last edited:

Emihaumut

Reaction score
I hate Vista with a passion. I have a custom built computer that met the requirements for installing Vista. For a whole week, I tried installing, re-installing, formatting, partitioning to get Vista to run on my machine. Turns out that some of my hardware (I think it was the motherboard and/or video card) was incompatible. I spent all that time and effort to try to install Vista just to find out it was incompatible with something that they never mentioned. XP runs just fine for me, but if I have to get another computer, I'm going to get myself a mac. I want to leave microsoft already.

Synkc

Reaction score
Thats good news, I don't have to buy vista until I'm good and freaking ready
If you wait until 2011 you most likely will not have to upgrade to vista at all, that depends if Microsoft's "Windows 7" operating system is anything better than Vista... or if it is even released yet, haha (supposed to be released in 2009, just over a year away).

Last edited:

stylez

Reaction score
VISTA ROCKS.

AMDX2 6000+ OC 4.0ghz
2x2gb DDR3 1800mhz ram
Gigabyte Board
XFX 8800 Ultra
136gb raptor hdd
500gb sata hdd

runs vista like a ****in beast and i only paid $550 for it. employee benefits :D

relisys

Reaction score
i dont get why most of you hate microsoft, I think thay are the bst out there well i think vista is mint

i got my system prebuilt

here is my specs

cpu 2+ 1.60 GHz
1gb DDR3 ram
256 mb card
160gb maxter hdd

and yes mine works a dream, best system iv had since ...well ever its welll better then xp :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.