Windows VPSs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to see if anyone would be interested in purchasing Windows VPSs if we offer them? I know our linux ones got a pretty decent response.

themcman1

Reaction score
It depends how much more they will cost - it would be another great addition if you were to start offering them.

I have been contemplating ordering one of your linux VPS's recently though.

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd have to really check into it but my guess would probably be around $15 for the smallest VPS plan since we also have to pay for licensing with windows, and Windows uses considerably more resources than linux by default.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd have to really check into it but my guess would probably be around $15 for the smallest VPS plan since we also have to pay for licensing with windows, and Windows uses considerably more resources than linux by default.

Hypothetically speaking (as I'm skint ;) )... What if I've got my own (geniune and valid) Windows server licence?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, how we would get the server is pay a flat fee per server for unlimited licensing :)

rsguthix

Reaction score
If the pricing was competitve then definately. And I didn't realise you did linux vps :O

Where do I find that page?

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
I would consider it, but as you have said, windows uses more resources than linux, which is why i would go more for a linux distro(more bang for the buck).

although im not sure if mono on linux perferms better than windows and .net framework(time for some tests)

if you don't mind me asking, what is said flat fee for the licensing.

try here rsguthix: http://clients.x10hosting.com/

Last edited:

rsguthix

Reaction score
I would consider it, but as you have said, windows uses more resources than linux, which is why i would go more for a linux distro(more bang for the buck).

although im not sure if mono on linux perferms better than windows and .net framework.

if you don't mind me asking, what is said flat fee for the licensing.

try here rsguthix: http://clients.x10hosting.com/

Thanks mat :) Found them

Wizet

Reaction score
It depends if we are buying them with credits or money. I prefer credits, too young to use money on the internet yet...yet.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
well actually looking at it from a buyers stand point, what are the stats of the servers the VPS are hosted on and how many Guest OSes are on each server.

also after playing with win2k3 compared to a linux server distro(ubuntu), windows might not be as bad as i initially thought when i first read the post.

the GUI of windows does take more resources, but most server applications shouldn't need to worry about how much resources windows is taking up, compared to what is avalable. if windows is affecting your performance, then it might be a good idea to upgrage.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Those VPSs are all being upgraded with the new site (new plans). I think all of them are getting more disk\bandwidth\memory. We actually have a VPS page on the new site :)

I'll work out some windows plans I guess, see if they're profitable. We would pay a flat fee per server for the licensing. So if we put 5 VPSs or 20 it wouldn't matter. It's just that we have to pay for that initial license per server :)

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
If I were to buy a VPS, I would buy Linux regardless of price.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

*Closed*

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I would be highly interested as I have been waiting for windows dedi's and VPS's from x10 for a long time. I even asked then the linux ones first came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.