Windows VS. Mac

mcklovin

Reaction score
Whats really better, I like to stick to windows since I'm a gamer. I hear how macs are so amazing but they are so very limited in the software area, I have a whole drawer full of discs that would only work on windows how am I supposed to just forget about that. I see Macs being good for musicians or designers, Macs are great for that stuff, but what about everything else? What do you think?

Pi606

Reaction score
I am sticking to Windows, I have tried to use Mac OSX, but I can't really understand how to do the same things that I can do on my Windows XP machine. Plus, as you stated, many programs don't work on Mac, and emulators don't achieve as good results.

One major thing that I don't like about the Mac, is the lack of right-clicking.

I actually think that the hardware that comes with the Mac is nice, but I don't like the OS as much as Windows.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I am sticking to Windows, I have tried to use Mac OSX, but I can't really understand how to do the same things that I can do on my Windows XP machine. Plus, as you stated, many programs don't work on Mac, and emulators don't achieve as good results.

One major thing that I don't like about the Mac, is the lack of right-clicking.

I actually think that the hardware that comes with the Mac is nice, but I don't like the OS as much as Windows.

You can enable right click on Macs. There is a feature I believe with some new version of OS-X that if you have a right click capable mouse, it will do things like Windows with right click. I may be wrong though.

echidna

Reaction score
The only things I like about Mac are the design in both the Hardware and Software. It's so smooth! Other than that I'm sticking with Windows

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I use Windows and will never use a Mac. The price is too high, and there is a lack of upgeadibility, except on the high-end Macs which cost $6,000. I got my new PC for about NZ$500, with 2GB RAM, Core 2 Duo and DX10.1 graphics. Beat that Apple!

exitnow

Reaction score
Overall it's Windows but Mac really got advantages in mediaproductions..
Been into music a long time and all the time and generally Mac have been perferd before PC.

LHVWB

Reaction score
Macs are very useful for doing Media stuff, like video editing and mucking around with photo shop. I always use Windows though because I use it for games and other applications.

Evocation

Reaction score
As mac's become more popular less games will be made for only windows, quite afew old game i've got are compatible with both... at the moment it's no worth game designers time but apple is trying to get the gamer share
Can't say i use ether though

magaly

Reaction score
Onoes, what about Linux?

I used Macs in college and they are great - at least for what I do which is graphic work. The interface is pleasing, smooth and minimalistic. The whole system is in itself - at least to the user, very basic and I liked that. If only someone combined OSX's good points with Windows, we'd all be happy.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
In my opinion, both suck. This isn't because I'm a total open source fanatic, but because neither operating system is customisable enough for what I'd use it for. I like being able to fiddle with code I'm not supposed to. I like being able to change my desktop environment if I don't like the one I've got now. I hate being confined to fiddling in control panels and such.

Neither for me, I'll stick to Fedora / Ubuntu / openSUSE thanks =P
-Luke.

Showa

Reaction score
Urgh, where do i start?

I'll start with hardware. It is next to impossible to upgrade the hardware Macs come with, and what it does come with is INSAINLY overpriced. They aren't compatible with anything that was built for REAL computers. Another thing is their users! Have you ever talked to a Mac fanboy? It's like talking too a brick wall.

Me - "Hey man, why do you like Mac so much?"
mac fanboy - "Because they just work!"
Me - "Then explain to me why it is so complicated to do simple tasks i can do on my windows PC?"
mac fanboy - "It just works!"
Me - "Why can't i play Crysis on a Mac?"
mac fanboy -"They just work!"

hamsn

Reaction score
hey guys
macintosh is certainly virus-free
as for concerning windows, it takes you to love hell even with up to date virus signatures
hate viruses!

Sohail

Reaction score
Mac has never failed me, it's fast and easy to use...

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I actually like Ubuntu a lot know and have sorta ditched Mac for now. =P
But overall,
Windows < Mac < Linux
That is how I think of it.
:)

ASPX.King

Reaction score
windows is definetely better, especially if you get windows vista.
smooth graphics? get windows vista with Aero, and you get them
fancy cases? get a good pc, and you get them
people say macs are better when it comes to multimedia and image stuff, but windows can do all the same things, and much of the same programs, like photoshop.
windows can also run many many more programs

one of the biggest complaints people have about windows vs mac is that windows has several million or even billion viruses, but macs don't have very many. this is because not many people use macs, so all the bad guys are targeting windows, because that's where the users are. take a look at this comic

in a recent study, it took about 11 minutes to hack into a mac and compromise it, but it took two days to hack into a windows vista pc and compromise it. windows xp was not tested, but it would probably be about what the mac was.

ashwinsinha

Reaction score
One of the most daunting tasks for many families is buying a home computer. There is the stress of trying to find the right computer, getting everything you want on it, and not spending too much.
Windows & Macs

Historically, there have been two viable choices for computing; Windows and Macs. Windows has been wildly popular, and has, for the most part, controlled the PC (personal computer) industry. Windows based PCs have traditionally been cheaper than Macs, and have had more software titles. Macs, on the other hand, have traditionally cost a little more than Windows based PCs, and have had a much more limited selection of software titles. However, this tradition has been changing dramatically within the past couple of years.

Apple, the company that makes Mac computers, introduced an operating system called OS X. They based OS X on one of the most secure and stable operating systems ever made, Unix. They then programmed a powerful graphics system and software architecture that turned OS X into multimedia marvel. OS X is now in its fifth version (10.4), and is considered by many technology experts as the most advanced commercial operating system on the market.
Stability

Almost all Windows users have experienced the poor stability that comes with Windows. Many users have to restart their computer at least once a day. Also, when a program locks up, the entire computer usually quits functioning (requiring another restart). This is often due to the fact that all of Windows' software components are connected (married) to each other. For example, if Internet Explorer quits working, the rest of the computer usually quits working too.

OS X doesn't work anything like Windows. Instead, it separates most programs from each other, and from the operating system itself. What this means is that if one program quits working, the rest of the computer keeps working. In fact, you can use a feature in OS X called, "Force Quit" that will immediately close the offending program without affecting any other programs that you're running. You can also restart the program that you closed, and it should work as if there was never a problem to begin with.
Security

Windows is notorious for viruses and security problems. This poses a threat to all Windows users, because a virus can wipe out a person's hard drive (where all of your files are stored), and security holes can allow crackers (often referred to as hackers) to control and sabotage your computer.

Viruses and security holes on the Mac are almost nonexistent with OS X. Because OS X is built on Unix, and Unix is an extremely secure operating system, OS X has yet to be threatened by a virus or have a major security hole.
Reliability

To put it simply, Windows is easy to break. If you move the wrong file or folder, the entire computer can quit working. This is not so with OS X. OS X is so smart, that you can move a program file/folder anywhere on the hard drive, and it won't break. In fact, it will also update any shortcuts (icons) that you had pointed to it. If you did this on Windows, you would have to completely reinstall the software, and it might even make Windows quit working altogether.

Mac computers are also easy to problem solve and fix, whereas Windows computers often need the help of a paid computer technician.
Compatibility

Historically, Macs have not been very compatible with Windows computers. In particular, Microsoft Office documents had difficulty translating correctly between Macs and Windows based PCs. Today, this is no longer an issue. Not only does Microsoft make a version of Office (Word, Excel, etc...) for OS X, they (Microsoft) also consider it to be better than Office for Windows! You can also open and save native Word documents using Apple's word processor, Pages (a part of the iWork software bundle).

OS X is Windows network friendly too. OS X can share printers and files over a network with Windows based PCs.
Multimedia

Windows based PCs are certainly more multimedia equipped than they have ever been, but they are still unparalleled when it comes to the ease of use that OS X provides. It's well known and recognized by Windows and Mac enthusiasts alike, that Macs offer an unprecedented group of applications and hardware for music, photos, and video editing.

Apple provides a suite of applications called iLife. The package contains iTunes (an MP3 encoder/player), iPhoto (a digital photography manager), iMovie (easy to use movie editing), iDVD (creates professional looking DVDs from your movies), GarageBand (studio recording software for the masses), and iWeb (create websites and blogs). All six programs are designed to work together seamlessly. They are also award-winning programs for ease of use and features, where Windows' offerings (Movie Maker & Media Player) are not.
Affordable

Now to the important issue, cost! Windows and Mac computers are now almost equal in cost. Whereas you can buy a Windows based PC for less than $500, you will not get the multimedia hardware and software that you will want and need. In fact, to do so would cost equal or more to the cost of a Mac. You would also end up spending more than you would on a Mac just to get software that could come close to doing what iLife does (which comes bundled free with all new Macs).

Apple now provides an entry level computer called the Mac mini, which is intended to replace an existing Windows based PC. The Mac mini starts at $599, is a stand alone computer, and is designed to use the monitor, mouse and keyboard from the old PC.

It's beyond obvious that I prefer Macs over Windows based PCs. However, you should know that I've used Windows for 11 years. In fact, I've taught Windows classes, I've run Windows servers, and I used to be a Windows advocate. All of this changed when OS X came out. I have never been more thrilled and pleased with a computer than I have with OS X. I used to loath using my Windows based PCs (even Windows XP), but now I thoroughly enjoy not only using OS X, but also using its software, like iLife. I would never go back Windows, and I doubt you will either if and when you give Mac a try.

ASPX.King

Reaction score
you have obviously never used windows vista

even on a slow, <$1000 laptop, windows vista rarely crashes, when a program crashes, it's just that program. windows vista recognizes that the program has locked up, and you can terminate it easily, then continue work as usual. on my laptop, i get all the fancy stuff, and can run all my fancy programs (although will lower graphics and much slower)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
My very old system, an AMD K6 still runs fine even when I have 4 programs locked up on Windows 2000. I completely disagree with the 2nd above statement if a system that slow can still do it. I think you're thinking of Windows 98/95/ME which was like that. Until the Windows NT Kernal, which is what Windows Server, XP, 2000, Vista, along with Workstation use, it can handle programs locking up and keep on going, even if a program were to refuse to close or a process won't terminate.

With Vista being unstable, it's either because you have old hardware, or old drivers. My gaming computer has been up for 7 whole months with reboots only for updates and soon to be Service Pack 1, and it still runs as strong as when I built it. If Microsoft hadn't have used the NT Kernel in Vista, then I'd see why it's unstable, but it's running NT and it's been very stable. I have NEVER had a BSOD, or any of the problems of things such as the video cards locking up and such.

Last edited:

amarias

Reaction score
I have a mac laptop and a windows based desktop computer. I think that the mac y more efficient and powerful when working with pplication like adobe CS3, but in windows is way better the games. So i'm sticking with windows.