Windows XP SP3

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't think this is a final build yet, it's only a release candidate stage.

Daniel S

Reaction score
Does anybody know when the official release is for xp sp3?

Last edited:

Pistolpete01

Reaction score
well i think I'll just wait for Microsoft to release their authentic copy i don't like experimenting unless i have some good factual ground to stand on. But maybe i will look into softpedia copy

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Well,

Once SP3 finally comes out, XP users won't have long left before support for it runs out. Shame really, XP is a good OS, and I don't know anyone who prefers Vista over it. I only run Windows in a virtual machine for Internet Explorer testing so it won't affect me in the slightest, I run Ubuntu Linux as my main OS (new release today, Hardy Heron (8.04)).

I reckon Microsoft are going to have some massive issues when they attempt to kill off XP later this year, most business systems aren't capable of running Vista because they don't have billions of megabytes of RAM or monster processors. I mean our PCs at school have a maximum of 512MB RAM, hte latest shipment of them only came in last September. We're still running XP at school, there's no way these systems will run Vista, because of hardware and software restrictions.

But back on topic, XP SP3 isn't going to be as big an improvment as SP2, but it should fix some security and stability issues; so it'd be a good idea to update.

-Luke.

ccone

Reaction score
it's released by softpedia yesterday language is now english

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'll download Service Pack 3 as soon as it gets on to Microsoft Update, just to make sure I'm not fragging the operating system on any of my computers with bugs (like what happened before I built my gaming computer and tried the IE7 beta, IE wouldn't work nor downgrade, and it was a pain to fix).

wolf693

Reaction score
I'm currently testing a beta of SP3, I've been waiting for the final version to come out for a while. But I'm gonna wait for Microsoft to actually update the beta to the final.

Last edited:

kkenny

Reaction score
Are there any notable changes in XP SP3?
Or is it just one of those unexciting service packs?

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I don't think there are any changes you would notice.
Microsoft said:
Windows® XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system, in addition to a small number of new functionalities that will not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system. This white paper summarizes what is new in Windows XP SP3, and how to deploy the service pack.

You can read the Overview here.

z_killemall

Reaction score
All I expect from it is that they improve the stability in multi-core processors (something I've been noticing in many computers), solving issues like those sudden restarts or when the screen gets completely frozen, giving a fatal error report in any of the cases after you restart.

I'll download it when the official version comes out (I have enough troubles for the moment with WLM9 and IE8 betas)

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Well they're wrong; the true SP3 final has been leaked onto torrent websites. However I figure it's just best to wait.. it's only three more days

Tom743

Reaction score
I got sp3 from windows update, with a reg edit hack. :)

Lets not post warez, or reg patch links here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hauzer

Reaction score
29th April today, no news. This was planned for 23rd March, but it got delayed. I believe it was supposed to be released in '07 but it got delayed again.

Tom743, Yeah thats possible, but how are you sure you din't download SP3 RC.

crisp

Reaction score
29th April today, no news. This was planned for 23rd March, but it got delayed. I believe it was supposed to be released in '07 but it got delayed again.
No one from MS ever said it would be released in March, official release was set for today, but has been kicked back while they fix a problem it causes for MS dynamic RMS customers

Posted today....
In the last few days, we have uncovered a compatibility issue between Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1). In order to make sure customers have the best possible experience, we have decided to delay releasing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) to the web.

To help protect customers, we plan to put filtering in place shortly to prevent Windows Update from offering both service packs to systems running Microsoft Dynamics RMS. Once filtering is in place, we expect to release Windows XP SP3 to the web.

We are also testing a fix, and will make it available once that process is complete. Once they have installed the fix, Microsoft Dynamics RMS customers should be able to run both service packs.

Until then, we advise Microsoft Dynamics RMS customers to not install either service pack. Microsoft Dynamics RMS customers running Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP1 should contact Microsoft Customer Support Services for additional information.

source: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3262170&SiteID=17

(Oh, and really, if you want a release from MS, get it from MS, not some torrent site or free software download page)