Windows XP SP3

crisp

Reaction score
how long is it gonna be delayed?
As soon as they've patched Windows Update to not serve SP3 to their DRMS customers. MS like releasing things on Tuesdays, so I'd expect next Tuesday, but where MS and patches/updates are concerned, it's anyone's guess :dunno:

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah

The guess is after one week..

Hauzer

Reaction score
Yes, it is out. It's a crazy download, takes a very long while.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I'm currently downloading SP3. Lets hope it doesn't completely screw up my system.

There have been reports on the Microsoft TechNet Forums that XP SP3 can cause spontaneous reboots etc. so I'm crossing my fingers, and creating multiple backups.

Hauzer

Reaction score
The installer creates auto-backups. I've now installed it, I can't really notice a difference.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
omg, what's the big deal? I don't think such a big fuss was created over NT4 SP6a, or Windows 2000 SP4...

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The installer only took 4 1/2 minutes to download here, but I'm not going to install the file from SoftPedia just so I don't break anything (which I'll have to spend time to fix). I'll wait until Automatic Updates comes up with it.

Hauzer

Reaction score
It's released via Automatic Updates, make sure it is on.

If it is and your recieving notthing, thats because it can mess your computer up so they've disabled it for computers like that until they fix it. Try visiting http://update.microsoft.com/

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I just tried installing it (from Microsoft Update), and about 3/4 of the way through it failed saying "Access is Denied". It's rather annoying because I've just spent at least an hour waiting for it, just to find that it doesn't work on my computer.

aionline

Reaction score
My Windows update is set to "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them." It had prompted me to download Windows XP SP3 but after the Yellow Shield icon showed "Downloading updates: [Some percentage]," it just disappeared. I thought for a while that it was completed and that it would prompt me once I turn off my computer, but it didn't. I don't know what happened with the update. But whatever, I'm fine with SP2 just yet.

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
A quick note for anyone installing it,
Install any available drivers through Microsoft Update first.

I have found that after I installed SP3 I can't install some through Microsoft Update.

Last edited:

chrisi

Reaction score
Anyone experiencing any glitches after installing SP3? (Just curious.)

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I am unable to install from the windows update but i installed from the downloaded copy from microsoft... It went through without a pain.. It has ben two days, till now no problems...

-gouri

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I went directly to Windows Update in IE and had the download and installation of SP3 completed. After a long reboot, SP3 is installed. No glitches of any sort, but doesn't feel any faster. I haven't put it on my machine personally since I hear that SP3 messes with the uxtheme.dll if it's patched

Zangetsu

Reaction score
ive tried SP3 but it didnt work out, oh and in case it doesnt work out for you be advised that if you un-install sp3 some apps like, wordpad, sndvol32 (system volume panel) disappears along with it so be warned

CoolFinalFan

Reaction score
The way it sounds from several different sources, I'm going to wait to install SP3! Plus, I'm trying out & learning Ubuntu!!

engineer54

Reaction score
I would be very wary of downloading an important upgrade from MS unless it's made available at their Update site. XP is good but it can't last forever, push Vista out of the way and let's let MS design something that is actually an improvement in security and functionality.