WordPress Installation Tutorial

engel

Reaction score
Hey.. I know some people have had a hard time installing WordPress. Many get impatient, which sometimes becomes a hard-to-handle situation!

Here's a down-and-dirty tutorial for installing WordPress. To follow the instructions it is recommended to know how to click your mouse, type, and look at your computer screen. Everything else will be instructed to you. A little tip: the important part of the instructions are in bold, like this. That will probably make it easier for you, because this post is very, very long. Oh! Another note: this post was written on October 30th, 2007. Some information may be outdated, so please don't freak out if there's a minor difference, especially if you're reading this in 2008 or something.

Preparation
So! Let's get started. Firstly, WordPress uses some functions that aren't available on X10's v1 PHP plan. You will need to go to the bottom of your account page and request an upgrade to v2. Unfortunately you may have to wait up to 24 hours for a request and decision on your upgrade.

Getting WordPress
After you have the v2 (or v3, I guess) PHP service from X10, we can get going. Obviously, you will need to download the latest version. That link will bring you to a latest download, so don't worry about this post being outdated (unless WordPress.Org decides to stop uploading a latest download at that location.)

So you now have a file that you just downloaded. Extract it, and you should get a folder entitled wordpress. Go into that folder. You should get a fairly large list of files and three folders. Now, you have two options here. You can either upload the files through FTP, or upload an archive of them and extract them once they're on the server.

Uploading Via FTP
To upload these files through FTP, you'll probably want to get an FTP client. I recommend FileZilla; it's open-source and runs on Windows, Linux, and a Mac. Open the client and connect using this information (substitute italics, of course, and examples follow non-italicized):
  • Server / Host: your site address (ex. http://example.x10hosting.com)
  • Username: your X10 username (ex. example)
  • Password: your X10 password (ex. 123)
  • Port: (usually is) 21
That should be enough information to get connected. Once you are connected, double-click on the public_html folder to view it. (This next step will upload WordPress to your root folder, so it would be visible by going to your base address, ex. http://example.x10hosting.com. If you don't want this, create a folder for where you would like it to be through your FTP client, ex. http://example.x10hosting.com/blog.) Now, in most clients, you can just drag the entire contents of the folder we opened earlier into the window (probably the area which is currently displaying the contents of the public_html folder). It should start uploading all these files. Once it is done, skip over the 'File Manager' section to the next step.

Uploading Via the File Manager
For the computer-illiterate, this option is probably a bit easier to understand and perform. No connecting to servers, or odd terminology. This step will be done through cPanel.

Remember that folder we opened earlier, after we extracted what we downloaded? Go to that. It should be entitled wordpress and/or contain lots of files; to name a few: wp-login.php, index.php, and wp-feed.php. Select every file and folder here, and add it to a .zip archive. Creating an archive varies depending on your operating system. In Windows XP, right-click any selected file and hover over the Send To menu. Then select Compressed (zipped) folder from the new menu which Send To creates. For Macs, there's a short little guide here. For Linux machines running GNOME (Ubuntu, Debian, etc.) right click on any selected file, select Create Archive, make sure .zip is selected as the filetype, and then click OK.

Okay, after that dreadfully long paragraph, we now have our archive which we will upload to our server. Log into cPanel by visiting your site's address followed by :2082. For example, if my site was http://example.x10hosting.com, I would go to http://example.x10hosting.com:2082. You may need to log in; use your X10 username and password. Now you're in the control panel. Search the page for something close to the phrase File Manager. Once you have found it, click on it. If it asks you about directory selection, choose Web Root and click Go.

Don't be overwhelmed by this new screen with lots of buttons; I will guide you through it! Search this page for the word Upload. Once you have found it, click on it. Click Browse... in this new page and go to wherever you saved your archive you created earlier. After you finish browsing, the files will automatically upload. Then, go back to the File Manager and click on the icon of the archive you uploaded, then click Extract. If that all goes successfully, proceed on.

Setting Up a Database
Return to the main page of cPanel, where we selected File Manager. Click on something that should be close to MySQL Databases. Create a new database; call it whatever you want (but write it down, we'll need it later.) Go back to that page after the database is created, and create a user. You'll need to write the username and password down. For the third time, return to that page. At the very bottom, assign the user you made to the database you made. Give them all permissions if you are asked.

Finally Installing WordPress
Now navigate to wherever you uploaded WordPress. Most of the install is self-explanatory. When it asks for your database name, username, and password, use the things that you wrote down when we created our database. If it asks for a server or host, use localhost. At the time this was written, X10's MySQL servers are hosted on the same server as the web server is. After that, you may be asked a few more questions, and then... WAHOO! We're done!

Phew, that was a looooong post. Enjoy WordPress!

zathras

Reaction score
It is imperative to rename the wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php and edit the database details, or its not needed?

engel

Reaction score
It's not necessary. Just create it there, they'll ask you the questions I listed. (they should give you some kind of option called 'web-based' or something)

JenLea

Reaction score
I'm a Wordpress user... thanks for giving me guidelines to set up my webhosting account so i could install it.
Much Appreciated..

QueenHawkeye

Reaction score
Pretty good, it's simple enough for average/less advanced users to follow through on it. I give it a 10/10. Keep up the nice work!

Thirsteen

Reaction score
bleh...
*feels stupid*
How do you start the install/setup-thingy?:frown:

Ahhhh, Nevermind, Missed A Very Important Part, Silly Me

Last edited:

umja345

Reaction score
K I started, but I keep getting this error:
Error establishing a database connection
This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host's database server is down.

Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
Are you sure that the database server is running?
If you're unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums.

titch

Reaction score
Small change in the tutorial, with the recent change of MySQL Servers.....

Finally Installing WordPress
Now navigate to wherever you uploaded WordPress. Most of the install is self-explanatory. When it asks for your database name, username, and password, use the things that you wrote down when we created our database. If it asks for a server or host, use localhost. At the time this was written, X10's MySQL servers are hosted on the same server as the web server is. After that, you may be asked a few more questions, and then... WAHOO! We're done!

localhost now needs to be "mysql.x10hosting.com"

for those of you who already have WordPress installed....

Using your FTP client, open up your FTP, and go to your home wordpress folder - e.g \public_html\blog\

You will see a large amount of files and folders- most of which start with "wp-" (which, incase you haven't worked it out, stands for WordPress)

Open wp-config.php with a program which can handle such files- DreamWeaver, notepad++, or even notepad will do.

Find the line, 5ish down...

define('DB_HOST', 'localhost'); // 99% chance you won't need to change this value

Thats it, save, and reuplaod the file!
and change it to.
define('DB_HOST', 'mysql.x10hosting.com'); // 99% chance you won't need to change this value

Last edited:

pennies

Reaction score
Doesn't Fantastico have a wizard where you can automatically install WordPress in 3 easy steps? That's what I used and it was done in a minute.

umja345

Reaction score
hmm I did have mysql.x10hosting.com before, and then I tried localhost...I think they changed it back to localhost...

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
hmm I did have mysql.x10hosting.com before, and then I tried localhost...I think they changed it back to localhost...

They did; this tutorial was last replied to in december 2007. As usual, all tutorials are dependent on the servers not changing, which they had to because mysql has some hefty problems in january 08 - it's back to localhost.

And for the record, I do NOT know if wordpress is in fantastico on free, however it is most definitely under Blogs on Paid. I'm willing to bet they're the exact same since I don't think fantastico's unique to each server - in all honesty installing it from there is probably the easiest way to get it installed.

kkenny

Reaction score
This guide is pretty good, but it has some extra steps that Wordpress eliminated in 2008.

1) You don't have to edit your own config file. Once you create the database and have Intermediate PHP, extract wordpress into the directory you want (like /blog) then go to www.yoursite.com/blog/index.php then from there use the config editor. It is much safer, unless you really have to edit the other things in config.php // After you finish editing the config, it automatically renames the php file, and all you have to do left is run the installation.

kiel2k

Reaction score
This give me a new chance for creating a wordpress because I can't open the site software,they required cAddons that I don't have any idea what it is. By the way this installation tutorial was very good detailed one than other, this is the information i want exactly and It also help me how to install manually.

//Thank You Very Much\/
Kael Holstein