Wordpress is really killing this N00b...

Neurosylum

Reaction score
Good tutorial that I found here at the forums:
http://forums.x10hosting.com/tutorials/35490-wordpress-installation-tutorial-3.html#post348022

I'm one of the ones who got really frustrated in installing Wordpress. I didn't want to install it in the root directory (/home/cpanelusername) because I didn't want my site to be a weblog. Instead, I created a new folder named "blog", moved all the contents there, but how do I install wordpress? Everytime I try to view the install.php file from the wp-admin folder, it gives me a page with a ridiculously long address loaded with a bunch of codes and the login thing - not at all what it's supposed to look like.

Does anybody know how to install it in a subdirectory? What address are you supposed to type when you install wordpress? I've spent a good 12 hours on trying to figure that out only to have my eyes leak blood from having to work on it all day. >_< Please help! I'm really really really new at this!

Edit 1:
Oops! Sorry! Can someone move this thread? I was so upset about wordpress that I didn't see where it posted! Sorry. :(

Last edited:

sunils

Reaction score
Moving the Thread to Scripts and Third party application
Reason:- User Requested

ThePBgod

Reaction score
Did you upgrade your PHP access?

I will try and install wordpress and see if it works for me. Back at you in a little bit.

Edit: No luck for me. But I have level 1 php access. Gives me some errors. Make sure you've upgraded your account, otherwise everything seems really straight forward.

Last edited:

Neurosylum

Reaction score
Did you upgrade your PHP access?

I will try and install wordpress and see if it works for me. Back at you in a little bit.

Edit: No luck for me. But I have level 1 php access. Gives me some errors. Make sure you've upgraded your account, otherwise everything seems really straight forward.

Thanks for moving this, sunils.

Hi there! I was upgraded to level 2 php recently. I'm trying to install Wordpress externally rather than using Fantastico because of the different version.

Also, I'm really confused in how to use cPanel, now. How do the folders work, actually? When you're trying to see a PHP script in your browser, what do you type in? For example, the Wordpress php script "install.php" is located in my "public_HTML" folder (because I didn't want to install it in the root directory), so how do you view it in your browser? I tried checking the box and click on "View", but it gives me a weird page that doesn't look like the login page for admin in Wordpress.

X10hosting cPanel is really really different than what I've had to work with in the past, and it's kinda getting a little frustrating. :(

EDIT 1:
OH MY G-WORD. OH MY EFFING G-WORD. IT EFFING WORKS NOW. IT EFFING WORKS. IT EFFING EFFING EFFING WORKS.
And this was because I have a level 2 php. 12 HOURS WASTED BECAUSE I DIDN'T UPGRADE TO LEVEL 2 PHP.
I'M SUCH A MORON. >_<

x10hosting, you are a mysterious mistress who brings joy and happiness to those who want to know her secrets...

But I still need to know how the folders work in cPanel. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
the public_html folder is in a way your root folder, at least when it comes to viewable webpages. Those has to be in that folder or its subfolders.

If you installed it in the public_html folder and not a subfolder inside that, the weblog is your main site, yourname.host.com if you want it to be at yourname.host.com/blog you need to create a folder inside the public_htm folder and call it blog, and in that blog folder install your wordpress script.

Hope that clears things a little for you.

Neurosylum

Reaction score
the public_html folder is in a way your root folder, at least when it comes to viewable webpages. Those has to be in that folder or its subfolders.

If you installed it in the public_html folder and not a subfolder inside that, the weblog is your main site, yourname.host.com if you want it to be at yourname.host.com/blog you need to create a folder inside the public_htm folder and call it blog, and in that blog folder install your wordpress script.

Hope that clears things a little for you.

I see, I see. I did it and now it displays http://domainname.com/blog. Thanks for the clarification! But how do you view php scripts in firefox? Do you type: http://domainname.com/folderlocation/install.php

where "folderlocation" is the subdirectory where you put the Wordpress files in?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
yes, if you want to run the install process, that would be the case (same as for html really, if you want to view a page called page2.htm you'd have to include the filename in the full address, http://domainname.com/folderlocation/page2.htm

If you mean you want to look at the actual code, you will have to go through filemanager (or if you have a local copy on your computer open it in a texteditor, notepad++ works fine) in cpanel to view it. (same if you want to view the actual code of a html page)

as for files named index.* normally you can leave the actual filename out of the address as most webservers are configured to use that as a default page when no specific file is requested.

Neurosylum

Reaction score
yes, if you want to run the install process, that would be the case (same as for html really, if you want to view a page called page2.htm you'd have to include the filename in the full address, http://domainname.com/folderlocation/page2.htm

If you mean you want to look at the actual code, you will have to go through filemanager (or if you have a local copy on your computer open it in a texteditor, notepad++ works fine) in cpanel to view it. (same if you want to view the actual code of a html page)

as for files named index.* normally you can leave the actual filename out of the address as most webservers are configured to use that as a default page when no specific file is requested.

Ah, okay. It seems so simple, yet it's so hard at the same time.

Oh, by the way, I just discovered (5 seconds ago), that some php files are handled differently. I was trying to run rss2html.php, but to do so, I had to add (w/o quotations) "?buildURL". That's weird. Really weird. Do you have any ideas about that? I'm so confused.