Votes: 25 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters

swirly

Reaction score
I want to make a game, I already know how. I'm just debating two different methods. Making a text based game would be much easier, and I'm wondering if many people would be willing to try a text based game much less play it. So my question is, would you?

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Not really, unless you make it quite complex.

Edit: Just like if you type 'emacs -batch -l dunnet' in terminal on a mac?

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Not sure, really. It all depends on mainly what the game is about.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, here's the question. Do you consider a text-based game to be "You are in a dark room, what do you want to do? Light Torch," or do you consider it to be more of a Stats War such as TribeWars or 1000AD (battles aren't graphically displayed, it's essentially a numbers war with some randomness added in).

Cause the former, I'd never play, but I <3 StatsWars :)

dquigley

Reaction score
Not pure text based, but if it had light graphics, especially classical, then probably.

sbflinn

Reaction score
i find most text based game
i would rather play a game like runescape that only text based
but of course id rather play other games besides runescape since runescape blows.

marxel

Reaction score
Of course I would. In fact, I have played alot of text based games. It may be the statswar kind of game or the -go north -check inventory or even the choose-your-adventure kind of game.

Graphics aren't everything. Most of the time, it all comes down to the gameplay and content.

jbdesign

Reaction score
Would I, maybe.
Have I, who hasn't? I remember playing one that had seventeen floppy discs... you were always changing disks.

It really depends on how well it's written and how deep the story is. If you took most any of todays top games and made them text based, they'd be boring and have a bad story line because they rely so heavily on graphics.

scc123

Reaction score
I own one that gets ~2000 active players a month so a fair few would play.

taha116

Reaction score
YesI would PLAY one i am making one right now and could use help, i already have some. The main person helping me is adding ajax to the game. Here is the Alpha site right now:

http://DragonScourge.co.cc There are alot of changes i am gona do this week, so ignore the crappy design of the actuall game compared to the site and other usless text its all there as example text, ive left it as im not going public untill i am completley ready

ponypony

Reaction score
I probably wouldn't- but then again it would depend greatly on its quality as well as what it is about. :)

nico31

Reaction score
I've been playing www.astrowars.com for the last 6 years and i really love it. Text based games allow ou imagination to work and therefore the best "graphics" ever.

timotyst

Reaction score
Yeah, if you play text game, you would be smart=)

Is there any alternatives to astrowars in russian?