X10Hosting Supension

Status
Not open for further replies.

je1111

Reaction score
To keep our accounts active, we have to log in to the forums every 2 weeks! This is just annoying and I think this suspension should be removed. Instead, why not every 2 months???

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
We have this system in place so that when you visit you hopefully look at the news and announcements section and to help keep the accounts on the servers only active accounts. This makes the servers run faster and saves money.

You can remove the requirement for $3/year at http://forums.x10hosting.com/payments.php or by purchasing a paid plan if you find it really annoying.

homer693

Reaction score
It is pretty annoying, if someone goes on holiday for 2 weeks, they come back just to find they got suspended, at least you can pay to remove it for a yr.

achilleasgr

Prime Account
Reaction score
This really is nothing for the service that is provided for free; And I don't think you can go on vacation anywhere without having an internet cafe nearby these days. Also as a webmaster won't you be checking your emails at least once every two weeks anyway?
I find x10hosting's requirements very logical

battlingmaxo

Reaction score
I have been suspended as well. I know it is free but 2 weeks is a bit much if you don't need to post. I also have free-space they have no such requirements, though uploading on that site for me is a huge headache, the reason i am here. so i won't complain

battlingmaxo

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
To keep our accounts active, we have to log in to the forums every 2 weeks! This is just annoying and I think this suspension should be removed. Instead, why not every 2 months???

Hang on a minute, you were fully aware of this policy when you joined. A lot of people start using web hosting then just give up and ignore it. Requesting free hosting users SIGN IN to the forums once every fourteen days means that there are fewer dormant accounts, which, in turn, makes the service better for everyone. Stop whinging, this is not a legitimate cause for complaint. Having six weeks worth of extra idle accounts taking up space and making everything slow and nasty? That'd be a cause for complaint! Plus...read below.

It is pretty annoying, if someone goes on holiday for 2 weeks, they come back just to find they got suspended, at least you can pay to remove it for a yr.

There used to be an addon package whereby you could be exempt from the inactivity counter for twelve months. Can't recall where the details of that are, or even if it's still active.

zapzack

Reaction score
There used to be an addon package whereby you could be exempt from the inactivity counter for twelve months. Can't recall where the details of that are, or even if it's still active.

Did you bypass all the other comments? Like Chris'?

Christopher said:
You can remove the requirement for $3/year at http://forums.x10hosting.com/payments.php or by purchasing a paid plan if you find it really annoying.

cliveash

Reaction score
I do forget to log into the forums, especially as my account does not require me to check emails for my site as all enquiries should come to my personal account. I also rarely ever need to actually log into the forums even if I do sometimes log into the control panel. Now, it would make sense if you suspended activity for those not logging into the control panel!

Also, I am not sure what kind of work is involved in suspending and unsuspending people, or how many are regularly guilty of this by mistake, but it does seem to me like sledgehammer to crack a nut - really does someone being inactive for 2 weeks warrant the amount of work it takes to follow this process?

I won't complain, as yes this was the T&Cs I signed up to, but just trying to help in general....:naughty:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Did you bypass all the other comments? Like Chris'?

Yes I did. Please accept my sincerest unreserved apologies on this matter.
2006_rolling_eyes_back.gif

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I do forget to log into the forums, especially as my account does not require me to check emails for my site as all enquiries should come to my personal account. I also rarely ever need to actually log into the forums even if I do sometimes log into the control panel. Now, it would make sense if you suspended activity for those not logging into the control panel!

Also, I am not sure what kind of work is involved in suspending and unsuspending people, or how many are regularly guilty of this by mistake, but it does seem to me like sledgehammer to crack a nut - really does someone being inactive for 2 weeks warrant the amount of work it takes to follow this process?

I won't complain, as yes this was the T&Cs I signed up to, but just trying to help in general....:naughty:

From what I understand from other people, it's all automated and unless there is an error no human intervention is needed.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
The suspensions for inactivity are automated, and so are the unsuspensions (Users can unsuspend themselves). For all the features we offer I don't believe asking someone to login once every two weeks is much to ask, no posting is ever required. You can even set it as your home page or, as people have already stated you can pay $3 to bypass it for a year.

This policy has worked great for us for years and it will stay this way, at least for now. We suspend well over 100 accounts per day for inactivity, most people do not unsuspend themselves. An extra 100 accounts per day over a few months will really slow some servers down if left to sit.

-Corey

taohero

Reaction score

I support you:lockd::lockd:

thekingofhearts

Reaction score
+1 to x10

How can anyone start to complain when this service is like absolutely unbelievable?

Alternative is to pay not just $3 a month, but $3 a year:p

And it makes a ton of sense to check the news and announcements once in a while. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
+1 to x10

How can anyone start to complain when this service is like absolutely unbelievable?

Alternative is to pay not just $3 a year, but $3 a month :p

And it makes a ton of sense to check the news and announcements once in a while. :lol:

Correct, and if you are going to be away just have a friend or family member login to the forums real quickly.

damian15

Reaction score

Yea, I agree that it should be removed. This has happened to my site everyday that I have to post everyday. Must be some glitch. Oh well, its nice to see that people go on the forums anyway!

zen-r

Reaction score
Yea, I agree that it should be removed. This has happened to my site everyday that I have to post everyday. Must be some glitch. Oh well, its nice to see that people go on the forums anyway!

Hah! You've only posted twice.

And just how do you propose that the free service continues to operate, if the requirement to log in is removed?

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It's hardly a requirement. Most, if not all, modern browsers allow multiple tabs to open when you launch the browser. You can still have the Hello Kitty website launch when you open your browser, so it's not as though you're going to have to make any sacrifices.

Plus: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q="if+you+don't+like+it,+leave"+site:forums.x10hosting.com . Alas, as has been said, it's not much to ask. If you value your time so highly that you can't spend a few seconds per fortnight just visiting these forums (and making sure you're logged in...), then you ought to be on paid hosting anyway...

btw, I'm not trying to get rid of people.... Just pointing out where the revolving door is if they feel like taking a peek outside, getting stuck, and falling back in again. Think of it this way: what other free web hosts name their servers after vodka? See: yet another reason to stay!

Last edited:

greeneman

Reaction score
Re: X10Hosting Suspension

I have had my account suspended twice in the last 2 days it says I must log into the forums which you can see I have done.
I log into the forums and get the following errors at the top of the page.

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_1d1d4966194151ce4f3855ab28d2d3a9, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in [path]/index.php on line 504

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at [path]/includes/class_core.php:3254) in [path]/index.php on line 504

Not sure what the deal is but I don't mind logging into the forums every couple of weeks to check up news and things, but to suspend my account twice in a 24 hour period? something is buggy about that.

Thank any way for the free service.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.