Xbox 3 Ring after Kit

mjserv

Reaction score
When an Xbox 360 gets the three flashing red lights around the power button this is called the Red Ring of Death

I ordered the kit, followed the instructions very closely. I was careful not to apply to much paste, and I did get the screws tight. At the end of the instructions, it says to plug it in without putting it back together, and I should get two red lights, and then to run it for exactly two minutes. I did just that. I did get the two red lights, which led me to believe I did everything just right. The next thing the instructions say is, Congratulations, you have completed the fix. I then put it all back together, turned it on, and there it was, the RROD, like it had never left. So...what do I do now? Take it completely apart? tighten the screws? Loosen the screws? Apply more paste? What is the next trick to try? I appreciate any input, I have a feeling I am in reviewing the same question that is asked over and over after the fix is tried and it doesn't work.

Microsoft is using lead free solder which tends to more brittle than the leaded solder that has been used in the past. Way to go Microsoft.

wongers

Reaction score
where did you get this kit from?!

and what you should of done in the beginning is send it to Microsoft and tell them to fix it.

The Real Rebel

Reaction score
For starters that aint legit, The RROD is supposed to only happen when the board gets too hot and melts the solder, or burns the board. I duno where you got that kit from but it was stupid to try that.
anyway my 2006 xbox still aint got RROD and im hoping to keep it that way :p

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Your best real hope right now is contacting either the maker of the kit (which I doubt will work) or microsoft.

The issue with the latter is now that you've attempted to fix it yourself, the warranty for the RROD would be null and void. There's stuff in there about a microsoft service technician ONLY working on the device, and it's gunna be decently obvious that there's been some extracurricular repairing going on.

Still, to actually get it fixed, it's gunna be microsoft one way or the other.

energeeuk

Reaction score
Hi

Microsoft will only fix 3 red lights and the Error 74 error if the xbox360 is under 3 years old
if its out of warranty it will cost ya about £60.
I tried the Towel fix on mine as its well over 3 years old and it worked, i then bought a cooling fan for it and its been running brill ever since( did mine about 9months ago)

krofunk

Reaction score
I am guessing the repair you have attempted was to do with removing the "X" clamps from the bottom of the mother board and replacing thermal transfer paste on both the cpu and gpu. The chances are that you have successfully completed the fix, however once an xbox has decided that it is broken it stays that way until told otherwise. This is (to my understanding) why the towel trick works.

-healthy state>Post (if fails, set to and remain in unhealthy state) >games
start>
-unhealthy state>rrod>separate error (over heating from towel trick) goto start.

ultimately your xbox may not even try to boot up if it thinks its broken, so try the towel trick to "reset" it, If this fails then you may have had a completely un related error.

my xbox rodded because its bluetooth transmitter failed, nothing to do with the heat sinks.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You could have got an repair from Microsoft if you would have sent it in for a small fee (or even free depending on it's age), well now that isn't possible as you broke the warranty and tos by taking it apart, I don't believe they will accept to repair it now.

Best bet is to ask ms, otherwise, most likely, you need to buy a new one

Last edited:

kaepos

Reaction score
Which kit did you get? I've fixed four 360's with the Hybrid Kit. The typical "X-Clamp" fix is typically not enough to repair them. For a perfectly repaired XBox 360, the GPU/CPU needs to be reflowed for the BGA solder to re-align.

play3rx

Reaction score
Yeah it seems you attempted the xclamp fix. You could always try the penny or towel trick that would work but probaly won't work forever.

dibb3386

Reaction score
X clamp trick.... Cheap set of ebay am guessing.... buy some good thermal contact. I bought a kit of ebay had crap thermal compound in.... couldn't get it to work...gave it to my mate....he used the same kit only used his own thermal.....works! had it running for a while now a good 4-5 months with out ne porbs.