Xbox 360 Gamertag API

zbloomq35

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, please move it if there is a better place.
A few days ago I was trying to figure out how I could access gamertag information on Xbox Live so I could make a website for clans. Unfortunately, it looks like the only straightforward way to access said info is to sign up for a developer program and hope you get accepted. This is a little bit too much trouble for me, so I created an "API" for everybody to use. It uses content mining techniques to get the necessary information straight from the Xbox Live servers, and returns the data in an easy-to-use JSON format.
I would appreciate it if some of you could integrate this API into your website so I can uncover any bugs hiding in the woodwork. It would also help to give it some exposure.
Read more and get access here: http://za.chary.us/content/x360-api.html

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's an interesting concept and would strongly suggest applying for the developers API as it never hurts to ask. Plus having legitimate permission to use the API and associated content means that you can develop the idea further using the hosting resources available here at X10.

My initial thoughts are that although the basic idea is sound it will however need a little more 'polish' to increase the appeal. Gamers after all are not generally programmers so asking them to parse their own JSON is going to be a turn off. Further processing is going to be needed to be done at your end converting the raw data into either an embedded iframe or dynamic signature tag that requires just nothing more complex than Cut & Paste on the part of the end user.

zbloomq35

Reaction score
Well, thats not why I made it. I made it so that programmers could have access to data to build things like you describe.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That's looking pretty good! Have you shown it to others in the gaming community yet?

zbloomq35

Reaction score
@cybrax: Only posted it on x10 and GTAFoums so far.
@Lavoaster: Cool. How did you get achievement data?

Lavoaster

Reaction score
@cybrax: Only posted it on x10 and GTAFoums so far.
@Lavoaster: Cool. How did you get achievement data?

I have a code that logs into xbox.com, reads the page, parses it and stuff, then outputs it.

zbloomq35

Reaction score
I've heard that Microsoft has been banning people with suspicious activity like that, I would watch out.
The API hit 10,000 requests sometime last night, for anybody who wants to know. I wonder how long it will take to get to 100,000.

Quozzo

Reaction score
Looks really good but it doesn't load my gamer tag, it has a space in it which might be the cause, i can pm you my gamer tag if you would prefer.

Oh, i also noticed that the img HTML tag (for use on blogs and websites) is not self closing, or otherwise.

Last edited:

zbloomq35

Reaction score
Looks really good but it doesn't load my gamer tag, it has a space in it which might be the cause, i can pm you my gamer tag if you would prefer.

Oh, i also noticed that the img HTML tag (for use on blogs and websites) is not self closing, or otherwise.
You can post it here or PM it to me, thanks for the heads up.
And yeah, the img tag isn't self closing. Self closing tags cause validation problems in some earlier HTML variants, and work perfectly fine in newer XHTML implementations. I'm not too worried about it.