C++, PHP, Assembly, Delphi, Java e.t.c Which is most powerful?

mygorillanet

Reaction score
I have had the opportunity to work extensively with assembly language(tasm/masm), C++(mfc,win32) , Javascript, and PHP. All these programming languages have their weaknesses but I beg to target only their strengths.

When it comes to web development, PHP rules over Java hands-down! But then again, php is only trully powerful if incorporated with snippets from javascript. I think Java's problem is it is sort of an undecided language. A hybrid between hardcore programming and loose web development.

I am a loud assembly language fan! With a few lines of Tasm code I have been able to do stuff with my computer that would require 400 lines of code and extensive literature in any other programming language! Assembly lets you get down and grimy with machine language. You do not get more powerful than that!

If you are good in assembly, you can write the wittiest and tiniest of programs. Examples include key loggers, root kits etc. Cracking and hacking requires a higher understanding of assembly too!

C++, what can I say? Its the first language any programmer is taught in college. It is the base platform by which most programs are developed. I should say, its is definately in the top running...at which position exactly? Any but not number 1 !

What say you?

HomerJ

Reaction score
Well, with assembly you can do anything that can be done, so that gives it total power. But, for a graphical or otherwise interactive application, it would probably be incredibly difficult.

I would say: assembly, C++, Java, PHP, Javascript in order. However, I am not a programmer.

kaspita

Reaction score
In Assembler u got to write a lot of code, but it is still a powerful programming language...

We can say that C++ is the "evolution" of Java...

PHP and Delphi aren't big things...

So i think C++ is the best

Jesse

Reaction score
I also think that C and C++ are the most powerful...
You could create everything with it from software to virus...
and so on... :p

kajasweb

Reaction score
Java is ok. But, you can't get the flexibility that C gives you.

I Love C....

Jesse

Reaction score
Hmm...
Java is commonly used on platforms, like runescape. Although java is also powerful nothing can stop the C++ :p

mygorillanet

Reaction score
What do y'all know about assembly?

I see a lot of us up in here believe that c or c++ or its other cousin c# are the most powerful languages. I DISAGREE!!! NO NO NO! He he.

You all have it 'not totally wrong'(but are headed that side..if you get me, he he)...C and its later derivations/hybrids are really strong fellas. They more or so remind me of good looking lean and muscled beach bums. That is, they have a user friendly GUI, are easy to work with and do not require the user to have highly intellectual conversations with them. Its all about; if(( i came to the beach) && (forgot to wear my pants)){ please dont call my mom; }

Assembler however, is the muscle by which the pc runs. Its the Ronnie Colman kind of will, determination and power...if you may. It requires a deeper understanding of what you are doing and will go the extra mile while the 'beach bums' are panting and waiting for 'Bill' to upgrade their libraries. Assembler uses minimal system resources and will always say; MOV beachBum, kindergaten

For the same reason, the average user will work with xp/vista osx while the power user would prefer a unix based platform.

So, c++ good!
but, assembly goodestest!

kajasweb

Reaction score
Oh!... You just got it wrong, I think...

Assembly Language canNOT be compared to any language as everything will be converted to it, at last.

Jesse

Reaction score
@mygorillanet - Believe in Kajasweb... :p He is a Computer Programmer and works in a IT Company... ;)

C++ is the Main and i think powerful language...
Although the others like Assembly, PHP, etc. they have limitations.. (I think so... :p)

mygorillanet

Reaction score
Oh!... You just got it wrong, I think...

Assembly Language canNOT be compared to any language as everything will be converted to it, at last.

He he, thats right Jesse. The 'beach bums' are just a gui and user friendly language. At the end of the day, all their code is translated to...MACHINE LANGUAGE....which is why, they arent that powerful. They cant do without assembler. Whereas, assembler can do without them!

shaunak

Reaction score
if your comparing Assembly with the rest, then of course assembly is the most powerfull.
Just look at the scalability of the language, from a few hundred lines on a 2$ microcontroller making a few LED's glow, to the flight controls of million dollar jets, its every where and controls every thing.

As for high level languages, I'd say C++ for the flexibility and easy of use.

Silverspoon

Reaction score
which makes machine-level code the most powerful of all... right?

like kaja said, asm and machine code don't count in this case, as everything must be run as asm/machine code in order to be run (don't get into interpretive languages, those still must run off machine language in the end...)

Java just doesn't let you get into the memory structure, it runs off a virtual machine (which is why it's platform independent). C is not only available on all machine times, but also allows for advanced memory management and manipulation.

C/C++

kajasweb

Reaction score
Java just doesn't let you get into the memory structure, it runs off a virtual machine (which is why it's platform independent).

Still, Virtual Machines are designed for particular machines. Like .Net Frameworks.

Platform independent languages are somewhat slow because of this reason. They are complied to Intermediate ByteCodes and they're in turn converted for compatibility with the particular machine by the Virtual Machines.

Whatever New languages come, most of those languages' compilers are written in C.

C Rocks :)

sandogg

Reaction score
I just wanted to add that as an Electronic Engineering student at University,
we were told that there was no point in learning assembly languages as C can do all the work for you and assembler is harder to learn.

We get started on C++ and that is what we use all the way.

C is more of an interpreter language in my opinion but we have also been told that it is far easier to use and implement C than assembler and basically why should you need to program in assembler when you have an interpreter i.e. let something else do most of the work for you.

Last edited:

mygorillanet

Reaction score
why should you need to program in assembler when you have an interpreter i.e. let something else do most of the work for you.

There's just some things that interpreter wont help you do. However powerful a user you are at c, there's just some things you wont understand or be able to do unless you have your asm right. Simple example, interpretation and manipulation of disassembler code. This art, now almost fully 'white collared' is the reason crackers and hackers are always regarded with awe. Simply because they have mastered the language that rules all!!

sandogg

Reaction score
There's just some things that interpreter wont help you do. However powerful a user you are at c, there's just some things you wont understand or be able to do unless you have your asm right.

I don't have much experience in this field, but I concede your point regarding how C will not be able to do certain things such as programming in relation to say a CPU architecture.

I think that these days assembly is mostly only used down to a hardware/machine level i.e. to specific hardware such as CPU, for ROM BIOS or embedded system... where it is necessary...

Simple example, interpretation and manipulation of disassembler code. This art, now almost fully 'white collared' is the reason crackers and hackers are always regarded with awe.

I was under the impression that crackers targeted all software no just those written using assembly. It is true however that a lot of programs are distributed in assembly format only. The cracking is usually via reverse engineering but then you can get tools which do that for you...

The main thing that assembly cannot do is Porting i.e. assembly code has to be written specifically for some hardware architecture and cannot be used with others. Languages such as C allow Porting i.e. you can transfer it without having to start from scratch again.
Also, I am not completely sure of this, but doesn't C have some syntax which allow you to implement assembly.
And also C is faster to develop than assembly which is why I think it came about in the first place...so you don't have to spend all that time writing assembly code.

Simply because they have mastered the language that rules all!!
I am not exactly sure what you mean by this.
If you are trying to say it rules all because it was one of the first the you might as well use one 1GL assembly with all the 1 and 0s i.e. true machine code.
2GL assembly came about because 1GL was too slow and error prone.
The languages need to develop...then comes along C, even faster than 2GL assembly and easier to debug...

In the end however I agree that assembly is still very much needed as understanding of the fundamentals and how to program at hardware/machine level is essential.

I am kind of on the fence with this one now... but seeing C saves time and therefore money in so many areas while still allowing access to assembly level (again not completely sure about this).
I am still going to say C...

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
C++ is what I think is the most powerful, as you can use that to code games and such. PHP is just for web, but is one of the mopst powerful web languages, Java, it depends on what you're using it for. Assemby, never heard of it :p