!!!! The NEW Biggest thread !!!!

Daniel S

Reaction score
I am trying to learn html because i went to start learning php and it was recomended that i knew html first. So what do you guys think, do i need to learn html first before php?

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, you should have good knowledge of (X)HTML and CSS before attempting PHP, since PHP usually generates XML or (X)HTML in the end anyway. I wouldn't attempt PHP before understanding these because it'll be really complicated. It still confuses me now, especially when it comes OOP and fopen() / fwrite() / fclose() stuff.

-Luke.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, Learn starting from HTML , CSS then it will be easy to learn PHP.

Once i found a thread asking about the PHP tutorials, And in one topic i found this link

this was very useful.

php tutorial

Last edited:

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
@tnl : The script I posted last was what I thought you needed. It loops through any paths in the $dir_stack array and removes any files from them, whilst doing this it also pushs any directories found to the $dir_stack array for the next loop. Once it has gone as far as it can in the directory tree pushing directories and unlinking files found the loop ends. Then it loops backwards from the deepest sub directory back up to the parent removing the directories that are now all empty. That exact script I posted could only be cleaned up a little(maybe 2 lines less). But I tested it on around 20 directories with at least 5 sub directories in each with files all over the place and more directories in the sub directories. It deleted them all faster than windows ever could have :)

PHP:
$dir_stack = array('test/'); // can be 1 path or many
$i = 0;
while ($i <= count($dir_stack)-1)
// starts the loop with as many paths there are but the max on the loop increases every time a directory path is pushed to it.
{
    echo $dir_stack[$i].'<br>'; // Just to check what directory is being processed.
    if ($dir = opendir($dir_stack[$i]))
    {
        while (false !== ($file = readdir($dir))) // loop through everything in the directory
        {
            if ($file != "." && $file != ".." && false == is_dir($dir_stack[$i].$file)) // if its a file unlink it
            {
                unlink($dir_stack[$i].$file);
            }
            elseif ($file != "." && $file != "..") // else add it to the dir_stack to loop through next
            {
                array_push($dir_stack,$dir_stack[$i].$file.'/');
            }
        }
        closedir($dir);
    }
    $i++;
}
$i = count($dir_stack)-1;
while ($i >= 0) // here we go backwards from the deepest directories to the top level
{
    rmdir($dir_stack[$i]);
    $i--;
}
even Brandon agreed this was a good idea :p

@ TA : I am assuming you tried to call the function that parses the index page to many times. There was a thread about this in the staff section where I had my account suspended for high resource usage. The AIP wasn't written by me, I only modded it. It works well if you call a few of the functions. I will take a look at it in a few days again to see what else can be done to reduce the resource usage. It is defiantly not the statBar that is causing it, this I know cause I codded that myself and also cause I made a page that has 101 random reasons on it ->
http://www.defectalisman.com/class/test2.php
http://www.defectalisman.com/class/test3.php
:p (just watch this might eat up your download bandwidth and currently it is on the staff server so it wont suspend my account no matter how much you try)

I refreshed this page like crazy whilst another member did and my account didn't get caught by the script.

@ Daniel : One thing everyone neglected to say which is the best way to describe php. php is the glue that holds the web together. It can be placed directly in html and is read as the page is parsed.
html/css would be used as a means to output/display something. xml can be used as the carrier of data or for storage of data and php is what makes it all work.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone here know of or has heard of the Hockey Winter Classic, The Ice Bowl that was aired in January of this year in Buffalo, NY, United States? I had the thing on my DVR for ages, and I finally recorded it to my computer! Since this took place in my local area, it's a pretty historic moment that you cannot lose what so ever.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
@ TA : I am assuming you tried to call the function that parses the index page to many times. There was a thread about this in the staff section where I had my account suspended for high resource usage. The AIP wasn't written by me, I only modded it. It works well if you call a few of the functions. I will take a look at it in a few days again to see what else can be done to reduce the resource usage. It is defiantly not the statBar that is causing it, this I know cause I codded that myself and also cause I made a page that has 101 random reasons on it ->
http://www.defectalisman.com/class/test2.php
http://www.defectalisman.com/class/test3.php
:p (just watch this might eat up your download bandwidth and currently it is on the staff server so it wont suspend my account no matter how much you try)

I refreshed this page like crazy whilst another member did and my account didn't get caught by the script.
Well I'm not going to use it just encase, it could be a mixture of the two causing the High Resource Script to trigger.

Don't worry about my Broadband Bandwidth, I've got unlimited.

The AIP wasn't written by me, I only modded it.
I know, I found it. lol

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well if you use only the text output from the AIP you should get the same result. A huge parse time and after 2 or 3 refreshes a suspended account.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
The PHP pages hardly used my download bandwidth up. I have unlimted, but I only lost maybe 3KB of bandwidth as the page loaded. That ultimately did nothing since I can download up to 1MB/s.

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
hmm... It was just a warning as the size of the images and the percent full was totally random. For all I know they could have al popped out at the max width and 100% full. This would do damage to my connection and thought it fair to warn people before clicking it :)

I agree they were quite big scores!
Those scores are from a bug I am well aware of. They are very unrealistic and will be removed as they are not legitimate. They where ill gotten gains from cheating.

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
uhm... This seems like a good time as any. You are not required to post or spam the forums to avoid inactivity rule. You are only asked to log in once in 2 weeks.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Defec, on your statBar code why have you spelt border with an 'a' (boarder)?
Also could I have the latest version? the one with the 3D effect. Thanks.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Oh noes, why are the baby shows all on TV this morning and all of this other crap on and none of the good stuff? At least I know why I don't watch TV on any night except for Friday Night.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Oh noes, why are the baby shows all on TV this morning and all of this other crap on and none of the good stuff? At least I know why I don't watch TV on any night except for Friday Night.

Because normal TV sucks. YouTube FTW!

-Luke.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Haha, yeah I use YouTube or DVDs a lot.
The radio has been getting worse too.
Only like 2 stations that play real music.:hahano:

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Haha, yeah I use YouTube or DVDs a lot.
The radio has been getting worse too.
Only like 2 stations that play real music.:hahano:

RnB / Rap sucks; it's just fake. Rock and Indie are way better in my opinion.

-Luke.