Votes: 12 13.8%
  • 100+ Mbps

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Gigabit

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters

IonCannon218

Reaction score
Please use the http://speedtest.net website to measure your speed and post the image.

I used Hong Kong as the server which is about halfway around the world from me for this test.

Last edited:

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score

I picked the option before I took the test. My speed is normally a little faster than this.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score

Our upload speed is really shabby. It is Kiwi broadband after all. (I envy those who have 20Mbit/s.)

EDIT: I tested New York as well. It's a decent speed, but not as good as NZ.

Last edited:

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
If I get my Optimum Boost upgrade, I will have almost 30Mb/s download and 5Mb/s upload. If only I had money...

moifotki

Reaction score
308103959.png

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Speedtest.net I find is innacurate. I recommend www.speakeasy.net/speedtest for inside of the US!

Connection: DSL
Tested to: New York City, New York
Latency: 18ms

Last Result:
Download Speed: 7218 kbps (902.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1535 kbps (191.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

By the way, for you cable users who have PowerBoost or Permaboost, DO NOT USE A SPEED TEST SITE. Download an ISO of Fedora Core 9 via HTTP and screenshot the download screen after the PowerBoost wears off. Your PowerBoost does not last forever!

Otherwise, I plan on getting Fiber Optic Internet in the near future, so expect to see the next time these topics appear, for me to have a higher speed.

Last edited:

xyunaxfantasiesx

Reaction score
Using Speakeasy:

Download Speed: 18987 kbps (2373.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1332 kbps (166.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

IonCannon218

Reaction score
Last Result:
Download Speed: 3171 kbps (396.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 373 kbps (46.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

deadeye536

Reaction score
Using Speedtest.net (the one I voted upon)

Using Speakeasy
Download Speed: 18072 kbps (2259 KB/sec transfer rate) (about 17 MB/s for those who don't want to do the math)
Upload Speed: 2202 kbps (275.3 KB/sec transfer rate) (about 2 MB/s)

The other computer I use has even faster internet (about 25.5 Mb/s download 15 Mb/s Upload from speedtest.net)

Last edited:

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Speedtest.net I find is innacurate. I recommend www.speakeasy.net/speedtest for inside of the US!

Connection: DSL
Tested to: New York City, New York
Latency: 18ms

Last Result:
Download Speed: 7218 kbps (902.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1535 kbps (191.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

By the way, for you cable users who have PowerBoost or Permaboost, DO NOT USE A SPEED TEST SITE. Download an ISO of Fedora Core 9 via HTTP and screenshot the download screen after the PowerBoost wears off. Your PowerBoost does not last forever!

Otherwise, I plan on getting Fiber Optic Internet in the near future, so expect to see the next time these topics appear, for me to have a higher speed.
I get the same results for both sites. And Optimum Boost (which I don't have yet) isn't a feature, it's a totally different service. My download speeds when downloading a file usually never dip below 2MB/s (that's megabytes, so about 16Mb/s).

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Optimum Online Boost! is basically an uncapped modem, which is why a long download helps. It's more or less a permaboost that allows you to use up all of the bandwidth in your area. A download via IE will average out the KB/MB per second for you, giving you your about speed.

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Wow...

Optimum Online Boost! is basically an uncapped modem, which is why a long download helps. It's more or less a permaboost that allows you to use up all of the bandwidth in your area. A download via IE will average out the KB/MB per second for you, giving you your about speed.
Ok. Well, I don't really need anything faster since most sites cap downloads anyway. And IE always downloads slower than FF for me.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Wow...

Ok. Well, I don't really need anything faster since most sites cap downloads anyway. And IE always downloads slower than FF for me.

Just as long as your system's RWIN is tuned properly (which Firefox also uses) IE should go just as fast. IE though averages in the speed you're getting. If you have Vista, Vista has an automatic tuning feature that will tweak the computer to get the most internet throughput for your connection.