Votes: 12 13.8%
  • 100+ Mbps

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Gigabit

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters

Max1337

Reaction score
I'll do it for my relative's connection, but for my home, not going to happen since I never get accurate results on Speedtest.net's test. Speakeasy.net, DSL Reports and VisualWare all give good, accurate tests though at my house, but it's probably because all of my local servers are bottle necked on Speedtest.net or Flash is screwed up. My friends have the same problem with them as well and use Speakeasy.

Yea, none of the sites gives accurate results for me..
Sometimes they go from 40 MB/sec.. to anywhere in between 4 GB/sec.

Did several tests on many different sites.
Speakeasy - Got around 176 MB/sec the first time, the second test was 203 MB/sec
Speedtest.net - 139 MB/sec first time, second time I got 81 MB/sec
XO Communications speed test - 3.9 GB/sec
CNET speed test - 722 MB/sec

I do have a fiber optic line, and I got an OC-96 modem, and on it's manual is said to have speeds around 4 GB/sec...
Most sites give all kinds of results.
In-accurate readings.. lol
Edit:
Ok, I did more tests on other websites...
DSL Reports - 173 MB/sec
VisualWare - 112 MB/sec

Last edited:

masteraa

Reaction score
Yea, none of the sites gives accurate results for me..
Sometimes they go from 40 MB/sec.. to anywhere in between 4 GB/sec.

Did several tests on many different sites.
Speakeasy - Got around 176 MB/sec the first time, the second test was 203 MB/sec
Speedtest.net - 139 MB/sec first time, second time I got 81 MB/sec
XO Communications speed test - 3.9 GB/sec
CNET speed test - 722 MB/sec

I do have a fiber optic line, and I got an OC-96 modem, and on it's manual is said to have speeds around 4 GB/sec...
Most sites give all kinds of results.
In-accurate readings.. lol
Edit:
Ok, I did more tests on other websites...
DSL Reports - 173 MB/sec
VisualWare - 112 MB/sec

How did you get so lucky to even have access to such an internet connection even if its just for a fraction of a second.... I mena donest the speed test just come down to how fast the test site is and the software used to test?

Calipe

Reaction score
I really don't know my exact internet speed. All I know is one the fastest in the world. I'm in Japan just so you know.

masteraa

Reaction score
I really don't know my exact internet speed. All I know is one the fastest in the world. I'm in Japan just so you know.

fios has that beat, not the fastest :p but

that connection would make me jump for joy.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
fios has that beat, not the fastest :p but

that connection would make me jump for joy.

The Japanese already have wide spread Fiber Optic connections, and their standard speed is 100Mbps (megabit) symmetrical. In many places now a days in Japan they are reaching 1Gbps (gigabit) symmetrical so FiOS is still behind Japan in a way, but it is a start. The fastest FiOS speed is 50Mbps/20Mbps, and in a certain part of the US Verizon is testing 200Mbps download speeds. I'm going to be getting FiOS soon anyways. Otherwise, the results you're seeing are most likely a result of a server bandwidth issue. I have never seen a server, unless it is falsely reporting data, report ANYTHING above 60Mbps. You'd need to literally have your own server with multi-gigabit fiber links to even test a gigabit connection and even that will kill the server because of the speed if it has to serve stuff up that fast.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you have heard, but Comcast is placing a 250 GB bandwidth cap on their users starting in October I believe. Sure 250 GB doesn't sound bad right now to most of you, but once more high quality media hits the internet, they're going to have to either charge more for the cap or reduce the cap to an even smaller amount. As you can see, this marks the beginning of the end of unlimited internet.

Hopefully competitors can put a stop to this, but it is beneficial to all the companies to put in caps. It's pretty sad the market is stacked against the consumer isn't it?

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you have heard, but Comcast is placing a 250 GB bandwidth cap on their users starting in October I believe. Sure 250 GB doesn't sound bad right now to most of you, but once more high quality media hits the internet, they're going to have to either charge more for the cap or reduce the cap to an even smaller amount. As you can see, this marks the beginning of the end of unlimited internet.

Hopefully competitors can put a stop to this, but it is beneficial to all the companies to put in caps. It's pretty sad the market is stacked against the consumer isn't it?

Ouch, I used 90 gb in one day the other day, I hope fios dosn't have a cap:S.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Ouch, I used 90 gb in one day the other day, I hope fios dosn't have a cap:S.

FiOS doesn't have caps. People are reporting all over DSL Reports that they are using 2TB of data a week, making it roughly 8TB of data a month on the 20/20 plan.
Edit:

I've heard. I have Verizon as my ISP and they are seriously looking to be the only uncapped provider in the US. Right now...

Comcast, Cox Communications, possibly Charter, I also believe Wide Open West as well are already capping (am I wrong or missing someone?). Cablevision has an upload cap the last I checked. Also, Time Warner, Frontier Communications, AT&T, and Time Warner are talking about
capping, Time Warner actually testing caps in Texas. Right now, it seems like Verizon is who to stay with right now as they stated that they have no plans to cap at the moment.

Last edited:

Sohail

Reaction score
My package is 512kbps. I can't post any stats from the site at the moment because my downloads will affect the results but I will post the results straight after.

xPlozion

Reaction score

Speakeasy:
Download Speed: 15469 kbps (1933.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1847 kbps (230.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score

Speakeasy:
Download Speed: 15469 kbps (1933.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1847 kbps (230.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Looks like you have 15Mbps/2Mbps FiOS. By the way, if you are paying the current rate for 15/2, you can get a free upgrade to 20/5. Call up Verizon and ask them about that.

xPlozion

Reaction score
hmm... I've got to call them anyway, the TV boxes in the house are acting funny. Ondemand is very slow at times, picture pixelates, guide can be cumbersome too, to the point that it takes several seconds to open it up...

but I'll try to keep that in mind when I call them :)

+REP

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
hmm... I've got to call them anyway, the TV boxes in the house are acting funny. Ondemand is very slow at times, picture pixelates, guide can be cumbersome too, to the point that it takes several seconds to open it up...

but I'll try to keep that in mind when I call them :)

+REP

Thanks for the rep. Otherwise, once you get the speed upgrade, see how things improve. Also, if you notice the internet slowing down on your PCs (speed tests will show) when the VOD is fired up, Verizon is going to need to be called up anyways as the provisioning may be messed up. As for picture pixelation, that can be because of numerous things.

azzeccal

Reaction score

i'm in Italy, i'm very lucky to have this connection...
They sold me to go 20mb/s...
ahah!Funny!isn't it?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score

i'm in Italy, i'm very lucky to have this connection...
They sold me to go 20mb/s...
ahah!Funny!isn't it?

20Mbps and that is DSL, right? If it's DSL, you might be too far for 20Mbps from the exchange or your phone lines are crappy ;)

cmosbob

Reaction score
through speedtest.net i get this

and speakeasy.net/speedtest was this:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 2553 kbps (319.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 432 kbps (54 KB/sec transfer rate)

Bob

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
12 - 14 mbps down and 0.8 mbps up. Soon I get 100 mbps both way :p