Vista Help: explorer.exe doesn't laod at logon

kirtik

Reaction score
I installed vista ultimate clean the oher day... after installing all the software I needed, the next time I restarted, after I logged on, there was just a black screen, with the documents folder sitting there, open. I figured out that explorer.exe doesn't load at logon, and I have to manually start it via task manager... after I do that, everything's fine.
ouch.gif

It is a bit annoying though. I've seen suggestions that include reinstalling fresh, system restoring (tried, didn't work), and hacking around in the registry/system settings.

I'd rather not do any of the above unless I knew it'd work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

kkenny

Reaction score
sorry, not as experienced with windows vista as i would like to be.
like the guy above me said :) go google it. it's the practical solution to everything.
if you need help getting explorer.exe, then just go task manager -> new task then enter in explorer.exe and then run task.

hopefully your problem gets fixed!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Did you try running Startup Repair? It's an option found on your Vista DVD when you boot into it. Also this is one thing you should do. Don't worry, the registry is not scary. I've gone into it loads of times without breaking Windows, and not once have I killed Windows.

In the Windows Registry (open 'regedit')
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon\

Set 'Shell' variable = 'Explorer.exe'

If both of these don't work, I'd say you have a software conflict and it's probably best to reinstall, patch, and then install your apps.

Last edited:

kirtik

Reaction score
I have googled it, it came up with the suggestions that I put in the first post. Thanks to smith, I'm trying that now =D

kirtik

Reaction score
Smith's solution worked. I set it to run explorer.exe, rather than services.exe. Thanks :D

themcman1

Reaction score
I got this problem after Vista crashed while updating. Although, in my case, explorer loaded, just not the desktop. Task Manager sorted it out temp, but when I updated it again, it was fixed.

F

Fahad

OT: Thanks for that Smith. Can we tack command line parametres on to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon\Shell? (prank with rundll32 and messagebox =])

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
OT: Thanks for that Smith. Can we tack command line parametres on to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon\Shell? (prank with rundll32 and messagebox =])

Not sure if that will work. You'll probably end up breaking something unless you know the proper command line for what you want to do, but glad my help worked.