Which is better Gimp or Photoshop

• GIMP

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • Photoshop

Votes: 50 62.5%

• Total voters

flamer619

Reaction score
I am crazy with photoshop and i love it. I've tried GIMp but dont like it too much. Photoshop also lots of more features and its easier in my opinion. Also I dont like freeware programs alot because some times there just really crappy.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
I just started using GIMP and I LOVE IT!

GIMP has many unique tools that no other free-ware program can provide, and who wants to burn their wallet to get Photoshop? (Even though there are ways to get Photoshop free...)

nterror

Reaction score
Photoshop: More features? Sure. Do you really use all of them? Doubt it. A lot of people are still using PS7 because the CS line is bloated and overpriced.

Voted The GIMP. Just the tools you need, top quality, and open source.

darkninj

Reaction score
Photoshop is the best for building web graphics due to its complexity and user friendly interface. It has best color management options, best export/import capabilities, including the option from CS3 up to import 3D objects made in 3Ds MAX or the free option, Google Sketch-Up. Thus, making this one of the best, most expensive programs I have ever seen. You will unfortunately be pouring out money to be able to buy premium things such as, patterns, brushes, gradients, styles, etc. But people have gone to the dark side and cracked it to get it for free, which I do not condone. I bought it so should you. I'm mostly using it to build websites, and partially on photography.

redefinelove

Reaction score
I'm not sure why, I've just never liked Gimp. Photoshop seems more professional, as said before... Gimp has just annoyed me in the past and I've never cared to give it another chance.

Pi606

Reaction score
Paint.NET :O
It has a much better interface than GIMP, and for the same price: free.

But if I had to pick between the two, Photoshop. I've used it, like it, but don't have the money to buy it. I've tried GIMP, I just couldn't find my way around the interface as well.

gautham

Reaction score
GIMP. Its easier to use and learn and is free.

I doubt I would need the few handful of features present in photoshop unless I turn a PRO graphics artist, in which case I would most propably be able to afford PhotoShop anyway.

So actually there is little to compare between the two. There is less competition than in some other cases.

PS: check out GIMPShop. Its a GIMP mod to make it look like photoshop. Great if you want a free way to learn PhotoShop.

cowctcat

Reaction score
Me being rather artisticly chalenged find photoshop totaly unnecesary. and adobe has a habit of writing doc's that you need to be a dictionary to understand at least for the advanced things. well i guess most free software has crappy docs too. It is all a pain

Parsa44

Reaction score
I'm not sure why, I've just never liked Gimp. Photoshop seems more professional, as said before... Gimp has just annoyed me in the past and I've never cared to give it another chance.

Well obviously free software can never live up to the same standard as paid for software.

And what i cannot understand is why this thread hasn't been moved? Like my 2ds max vs maya thread? (Doesn't make much sense)

anish177

Reaction score
Photoshop may lead some times in some features. But as far as the hardware requirements is tabulated against the features available surely gimp will be the leader.

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
Gimp would be my choice, as it is free, and easy to use.
Photoshop is pretty good, except the pricing.

I don't think Photoshop is compatible with Linux (which is what I'm using), so IDK.
However though, Gimp comes pre-installed on most Linux machines. :p
My choice in graphic design software. :biggrin:

kryptofire

Reaction score
Photoshop may lead some times in some features. But as far as the hardware requirements is tabulated against the features available surely gimp will be the leader.

Yeah! Photoshop is a memory hungry freak! You should atleast have more than 1GB of RAM if you're gonna use it. Especially if you're doing multiple tasks at the same time. But feature wise, it has more options you can do!

With that said, i prefer Photoshop. :biggrin:

chejo76

Reaction score
I'm not a graphical designer and my needs in manipulating graphics are not so big. I started using Photoshop so I get used to it.

When I first used Gimp, it was kind of messy for me so I started to play around until it became more familiar and I have to say that works fine for me. I'll go with gimp (and being free is a plus too :biggrin:).

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I think that with the massive availability of torrents illegally distributing copyrighted material, including Adobe Photoshop, the price tag doesn't really have that large of an impact anymore.

marxel

Reaction score
I think that with the massive availability of torrents illegally distributing copyrighted material, including Adobe Photoshop, the price tag doesn't really have that large of an impact anymore

Trudat.

I personally think that it all comes down to what you need it for. If you're a hobbyist or just a casual user, the Gimp is right for you. But if you need something for let's say a job, or something professional, Photoshop is what you are looking for.

igames

Reaction score
Photoshop all the way, if you can get over the price it is worth it because of the design, look, all the features, and how it is popular. I dont like using gimp because it has everything divided up into windows and its un orginized so i think its harder to use and photoshop has more powerful tools

redivy

Reaction score
Sure. GIMP is the best free photo editing program out there. We aren't talking price here, we are talking which one is better.

Photoshop is tons better. By far, easier to use, more features, and a lot more... Everything.
Paint.NET is the simplest, although. It doesn't have many features.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I personally think that it all comes down to what you need it for. If you're a hobbyist or just a casual user, the Gimp is right for you. But if you need something for let's say a job, or something professional, Photoshop is what you are looking for.
Last year, my American Studies teacher forced us to use GIMP to create maps for projects. Actually, it was GIMPshop, some remake of GIMP that had tons of problems. Overall, very few people took her recommendation, and most people just used Photoshop or Paint.NET.

I suggest for people that are even just hobbying to use Photoshop unless graphic design is something you do very unfrequently. It's easier to get used to one photo editing software, and when upgrading to newer versions of Photoshop like CS3 or CS4, the basis of the software is still the same, and it's much easier to utilize all the features to their fullest.