The Pirate Bay Verdict!!!

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ThePirateBay (the largest torrent tracker) co-founders were were accused of 'assisting in making copyright content available'. Peter Sunde: Guilty. Fredrik Neij: Guilty. Gottfrid Svartholm: Guilty. Carl Lundström: Guilty. The four receive 1 year in jail each and fines totaling $3,620,000.

Read all about it here
http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-trial-the-verdict-090417/

It's not allowed to swear on this forum so I'll try to be good.

:mad: :rant: :madfawk: That's how I feel about it.

Now I'll use TPB even for things I don't need just to give them my support.

Edit:
And yes :thefinger DCMA, you'll never win!

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That's a pretty minimal sentence in my opinion especially for the crimes they were convicted of. They should have gotten multiple years in prison if anything. They will probably be released before the full year is out anyway.

Whatever though, they are going to where they belong, for a shortwhile at least.

VPmase

Reaction score
They are just going to figure out ways to make it more undetectable... Honestly, torrenting is wrong. If programmers lost money on the programs they made they might as well as not make them. Considering I plan on going into programming I wouldn't like it if someone stole my program and I didn't make any money from it...
Now I'm not saying I'm innocent but I've learned the hard way that its not worth it. (Huge fine for getting caught)

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of torrents anyway. Pretty often they only transfer at a creakily slow rate, what you receive is of questionable quality, & in the case of software, has a high likelihood of packing a trojan. If one must get hold of this "free" stuff, there seem to be better ways.

As with all court cases of this nature, it does raise the question of whether the "facilitators" of the crime (in this case, TPB) should be found as guilty as the actual perpetrators (in this case, the torrent sender/receivers). The news story noted they used the "King Kong" defence, though presumably not too successfully ;

"EU directive 2000/31/EG says that he who provides an information service is not responsible for the information that is being transferred. In order to be responsible, the service provider must initiate the transfer. But the admins of The Pirate Bay don’t initiate transfers. It’s the users that do and they are physically identifiable people."

Data carriers such as phone companies & our ISPs (the broadband providers) have ensured they got immunity in law against being accused of "facilitating" any illegal activities of their customers. Similarly other platform providers such as those who provide Usenet access, web hosting companies, or even forum providers (x10hosting ?!) could be described as facilitating any illegal activity of their customers, & have traditionally had to be very wary of where the laws currently stand, & how they may personally be effected.

The results of this court case may well now make all these other service providers sit up & start worrying again. There are a lot of fuzzy legal areas out there, & this case may have just re-defined the boundaries for quite a few companies. :eek:hnoes:

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.​

nexhunter

Reaction score
I wonder who payed off the judge first the music recording industry or the movies industry

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
FYI, Google links to more torrents and illegal content than the Pirate Bay ever does. Besides, all the Pirate Bay is, is basically a Google for both legal and illegal torrents as well as a tracker (I've seeded Ubuntu and Fedora ISOs to TPB many times and this next coming week, a new version of Ubuntu is coming out which I'm going to seed at The Pirate Bay). Personally, the MPAA, RIAA, and whatever else is out there should go after Google than The Pirate Bay. Google is how people found out about that site in the first place most likely.

zen-r

Reaction score
Mind you, with a name like The Pirate Bay, they were just asking to have their motives questioned!

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
They are just going to figure out ways to make it more undetectable... Honestly, torrenting is wrong. If programmers lost money on the programs they made they might as well as not make them. Considering I plan on going into programming I wouldn't like it if someone stole my program and I didn't make any money from it...
Now I'm not saying I'm innocent but I've learned the hard way that its not worth it. (Huge fine for getting caught)

Please don't post comment's if you're not familiar with the subject! The Pirate Bay (TPB) don't host any illegal material or whatever on their servers. They are, as Smith6612 said, basically a Google for both legal and illegal torrents. If you don't know how torrent works just skip this thread, please :biggrin:

And another thing. I'm a programmer! I live from programming! In fact I have my own software company and I still like the whole idea of sharing. It's not about software. I think that only Microsoft worry about it. It's about MPAA, RIAA, ... who work in the interest of big record companies and movie industry. That's a lot bigger story witch I don't want to start in this thread.

Edit
P.S. And they are NOT PIRATES!

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You can't justify TPB because it has a few legitimate torrents. The main use is and has always been for piracy.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Carl Lundström needs to pay the whole thing, because he is the only one with the money, so they are gonna appeal it now xD

Also, please keep in mind they did NOT break any copyright infringement, but they helped those who did.

Btw, here is a list of who is gonna share the money xD

Sony Music Entertainment (Sweden): 457 675 kronor

Universal Music: 814 339 kronor

Playground Music Scandinavia: 310 794 kronor

Bonnier Amigo Music Group: 47 349 kronor

EMI Music Sweden: 1 798 975 kronor

Warner Music Sweden: 1 616 759 kronor

Yellow Bird Films: 3 150 000 kronor

Nordisk FIlm Valby A/S: 225 000 kronor

Warner Bros Entertainment: 2 898 225 kronor

Columbia Pictures Industries: 4 184 44 kronor

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc: 1 394 831 kronor

Mars Media Beteiligungs GmbH & Co Film Productions: 4 450 991 kronor

Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation: 10 867 460 kronor

Last edited:

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
Why not just move somewhere where pirating software isn't illegal, and companies like the RIAA cannot do anything if you download illegal torrents?
That's my thoughts on filesharing... And I'll continue saying it to people, until I see otherwise...

I've downloaded some illegal files in the past, but currently right now, I don't download anything on torrents anymore.
Especially seeing as those evil companies got up a lot of peoples butts about it.
Plus, it's a waste of my Internet bandwidth... Whenever I use a p2p program, my Internet speed drops a lot...

I do use software like Tor, and other privacy softwares... But mainly when I'm doing something I know I'll get caught...

I see nothing wrong with downloading something that's free, or Open Source...
But stuff like Microsoft Windows on the other hand, is wrong.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
no, microsoft makes windows Open Serial ie. people can hack the serial software, that's their fault not ours.
Just a thought. :)

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I just read in the news that they might have to redo the trial... information has risen that the judge has connections to the prosecutions side through a few organizations, one of them called "The Swedish Association for Copyright" (translated name) where he is a member.

The judge should probably have resigned from the case.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I just read in the news that they might have to redo the trial... information has risen that the judge has connections to the prosecutions side through a few organizations, one of them called "The Swedish Association for Copyright" (translated name) where he is a member.

The judge should probably have resigned from the case.

epic fail

zen-r

Reaction score
Here's a nice twist to the story (so far).

"P2P-ers furious over the Pirate Bay case are being asked to get back at lawyers for the entertainment industry via the counter-intuitive route of ostensibly giving them money.

By thousands of people sending very small amounts of money of 1 SEK ($0.13) to Danowsky & Partners, who brought the prosecution, the ruse could make lawyers lose out after fees to them of 2 SEK per transaction are taken into account. It could also tie them up in red tape!"

Snigger. :naughty:

Read the full story here ;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/12/pirate_bay_ddos_ploy/

reputation.gif

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.​

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Here's a nice twist to the story (so far).

"P2P-ers furious over the Pirate Bay case are being asked to get back at lawyers for the entertainment industry via the counter-intuitive route of ostensibly giving them money.

By thousands of people sending very small amounts of money of 1 SEK ($0.13) to Danowsky & Partners, who brought the prosecution, the ruse could make lawyers lose out after fees to them of 2 SEK per transaction are taken into account. It could also tie them up in red tape!"

Snigger. :naughty:

Read the full story here ;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/12/pirate_bay_ddos_ploy/

reputation.gif

These guys are quite clever. Let's see how long it takes for someone to respond to the DDo$ attack to this lawfirm and how interesting this will be :p

idontkno

Reaction score
These guys are quite clever. Let's see how long it takes for someone to respond to the DDo$ attack to this lawfirm and how interesting this will be :p

Well, it was their fault. According to someone at 4chan's /b/ section, "The reason behind the attacks against Scientology were because they ****ed with our internets. Really, that was the only reason. We could care less about killing an evil cult, it was only because they ****ed with our internets."

zen-r

Reaction score
Well, it was their fault. According to someone at 4chan's /b/ section, "The reason behind the attacks against Scientology were because they ****ed with our internets. Really, that was the only reason. We could care less about killing an evil cult, it was only because they ****ed with our internets."

?? You do realise we're talking about The Pirate Bay verdict, & not Scientology, don't you?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
?? You do realise we're talking about The Pirate Bay verdict, & not Scientology, don't you?

I'm sure he did, however he gave it in a different context. Much like how 4chan started the raid on Scientology last year, and if what that post says is accurate, messed with the Internets. In this case, the lawfirms that represented the movie and media industry in The Pirate Bay trial are going to be treated the same way by the sounds of it, with people sending in small amounts of money that make them lose money due to processing/waste of resource (much like how the raid on Scientology was set up to make the Scientologists LOSE money, I'm sure you know the story if you've kept your eye on the news), so there is a connection to it. And of course, it's with the groups out there messing with people's Internets by threatening the longevity of The Pirate Bay, hence why the whole thing started in the first place with both the raid on Scientology and the fight to save The Pirate Bay's creators.

Last edited:

whitebus

Reaction score
Carl Lundström needs to pay the whole thing, because he is the only one with the money, so they are gonna appeal it now xD

Also, please keep in mind they did NOT break any copyright infringement, but they helped those who did.

Btw, here is a list of who is gonna share the money xD

Hmm... lots of programmers in that list. ;)

Fact is, Bill Gates built a financial empire on the work of the computer science club, who shared everything. Although he admittedly paid $20,000 for the software MS DOS was based on, it was reverse engineered from somebody else's program. Windows was not an original Gates idea, the folks at Xerox were designing a gui, showed what they were doing to MS who ran with it. There's a great documentary about this called "Triumph of the Nerds."

Software piracy and media piracy are really misnomers. Pirates take what they want at gun point. Call it software sharing and media sharing.

As for losing money... I have to admit I downloaded all three Lord of the Rings movies, but I saw all three at the theatre (paying full price) multiple times, downloaded long before any of them were available on dvd and purchased the full collectable box sets six months later when they did finally come to stores. Did the creators of LOTR lose any money from my act of "piracy?" Clearly, not. Did the movie companies (or their authorized distributors) lose any money from my act of "piracy?" Also, not (I bought my boxes at Blockbuster, again full price totalling over $300Cdn.)

If anything, media sharing has generated interest in their products and created new revenue streams for them. CD music wasn't nearly as popular until mp3's came out. People complained that vinyl records sounded better and the new media was too expensive. Actually the material costs for production was much less and the musick (sp ;) ) industry raked in the dough.

I agree that using a name like The Pirate Bay was just asking for it. How about www.shareit.com, is that domain taken?