History/Geography Trivia

zen-r

Reaction score
He was the first European to visit North America. Take a guess at the year of his visit.

More American history! The best I can guess is some time in the 15th Century, probably later than ichwar's guess though.

what is the palte movment that made the alp's called?
and yes i do know this

I remember the expression "plate tectonics" which describes the general movements of the Earths surface, though I expect you are after something more specific than this.

Since no-one has managed an attempt at my earlier questions, here are the answers ;

1) The Pilgrims, or Pilgrim Fathers is the first "name" I was after. These people set sail from my town here in Plymouth, UK, before crossing the Atlantic & settling in what is now known as Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1620. The colony became the 2nd successful English settlement in what was to become the U.S. of A.

The Pilgrims' story is supposed to have become a central theme of the history and culture of the United States, so I thought you might know the answer!

2) The 2nd "name" I was after was "Sir Francis Drake" who is famous in Plymouth for several reasons including defeating the invading Spanish Armada in 1588. During his numerous exploits throughout the world, he had a few links with South & North American events. :)

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
More American history! The best I can guess is some time in the 15th Century, probably later than ichwar's guess though.

I remember the expression "plate tectonics" which describes the general movements of the Earths surface, though I expect you are after something more specific than this.

Since no-one has managed an attempt at my earlier questions, here are the answers ;

1) The Pilgrims, or Pilgrim Fathers is the first "name" I was after. These people set sail from my town here in Plymouth, UK, before crossing the Atlantic & settling in what is now known as Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1620. The colony became the 2nd successful English settlement in what was to become the U.S. of A.

The Pilgrims' story is supposed to have become a central theme of the history and culture of the United States, so I thought you might know the answer!

2) The 2nd "name" I was after was "Sir Francis Drake" who is famous in Plymouth for several reasons including defeating the invading Spanish Armada in 1588. During his numerous exploits throughout the world, he had a few links with South & North American events. :)
well, you forget something new everyday.
yahoo.gif

fguy64

Reaction score
OK, the first European to land in north America was about 500 years before Christopher Columbus.

Sometime around 1003, Norse explorer Leif Ericson, son of legendary viking Erik the Red, landed in Labrador, now a part of Canada. He didn't stay long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Ericson

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
lol, that was my first thought, but I didn't consider him a european.

fguy64

Reaction score
Hey zen-r, thanks for the write-up on the Pilgrims and Plymouth. That's what makes this game good, you learn some interesting stuff.

What is the northernmost settlement (city/town) in the United States?

fguy64

Reaction score
barrow is correct. It's pretty much an oil-field settlement these days.

where would you find the largest freshwater lake in the world, by volume.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
salt lake utah? or are you not going to classify that as fresh water. hehe.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
is the aral sea fresh water?
if not, I'd probably guess one of those large lakes in canada like the bear lake or the slave lake?

fguy64

Reaction score
is the aral sea fresh water?
if not, I'd probably guess one of those large lakes in canada like the bear lake or the slave lake?

I'm pretty sure Aral Sea is saltwater.

Anyways, the top lakes by volume are

1. Baikal, in Siberia - 23,600 cubic km (5,700 cubic miles)
2. Tanganyika, in Africa - 18,900 cubic km (4,500 cu mi)
3. Superior (Canada/US) - 11,600 cubic km (2,800 cu mi)

Interesting to note that Baikal in Siberia contains more freshwater than all lakes in North America combined. I thought that was pretty cool.

Your turn ichwar

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ok, um. where in the world will the annual chess engine tournament be held this year?
hehe.
let me know if that's a nogo fguy and I'll pick another one.

fguy64

Reaction score
ok, um. where in the world will the annual chess engine tournament be held this year?
hehe.
let me know if that's a nogo fguy and I'll pick another one.

Oh yeah, there was some serious computational power there. I think it was in Spain, but I'm not sure. If I'm not mistaken it's already over, just held this month.
Edit:
I'm pretty sure Aral Sea is saltwater.

Anyways, the top lakes by volume are

1. Baikal, in Siberia - 23,600 cubic km (5,700 cubic miles)
2. Tanganyika, in Africa - 18,900 cubic km (4,500 cu mi)
3. Superior (Canada/US) - 11,600 cubic km (2,800 cu mi)

Interesting to note that Baikal in Siberia contains more freshwater than all lakes in North America combined. I thought that was pretty cool.

Your turn ichwar

oops sorry, this is incorrect. What it should say is that Baikal contains more fresh water than all the North American Great Lakes combined. (Superior, Huron, Michigan, Ontario, Erie)

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Oh yeah, there was some serious computational power there. I think it was in Spain, but I'm not sure. If I'm not mistaken it's already over, just held this month.
Correct, it was held in Pamplona Spain April 12, 2009.:thefinger
Bonus question: who won?

Your turn.

Last edited:

fguy64

Reaction score
Correct, it was held in Pamplona Spain April 12, 2009.:thefinger
Bonus question: who won?

Your turn.

probably Rybkka
Edit:
probably Rybkka

OK ichwar, three part question...

World Champion Garry Kasparov became the first grandmaster to lose to a computer when He lost his second match against this dedicated chess supercomputer. In the decisive game, Kasparov committed a well known blunder in the opening and lost very quickly.

What was the name of the computer?
Who created the computer?
What was the name of the opening?

Last edited: