Which is better Xampp Vs Wamp

Which is better

• Total voters

islamis4u

Reaction score
I just thought you people out which is better Xampp or Vamp?

Meaning feature and stability-wise?
I used both but can't find much difference...

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Only difference is XAMPP comes with
perl. So if you require perl then use
XAMPP.. else I have found
WAMPServer to be more stable
and is beginner friendly. If you
are planning to install and use a
server, you would like to know what
each of the component are
going to do. So it has to be
beyond "start/stop/pause".
Doing something without
knowledge of what every
component is doing would lead
to confusion though. So my choice is
WAMPserver.
For a detailed comparison have a
look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_WAMPs

Last edited:

islamis4u

Reaction score
one feature which wamp don't have is mercury/32 and firezilla server which i think we can install it by ourself

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
For me, XAMPP never ever worked with sessions, always give a lot of errors. Also, it's a bit harder to secure. In WAMP, you only have to click the wamp icon and chose "put online" to make it available from other computers, or "put offline" if you only want it accessible from the local computer.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Considering they both are running essentially the same versions of Apache, I would assume that they are both as stable as each other. Considering I don't run Windows, WAMP has never been an option, although the Mac version called MAMP has been one I have used but I have always felt that XAMPP is the simpler option. I don't need any of the advanced options in the control panels as I set them up through the httpd.conf and associated files anyway.

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
For me, XAMPP never ever worked with sessions, always give a lot of errors. Also, it's a bit harder to secure. In WAMP, you only have to click the wamp icon and chose "put online" to make it available from other computers, or "put offline" if you only want it accessible from the local computer.

I was using WAMP first.But it was WAMP that gave me session errors.The same code worked fine with XAMP and also APPSERV.Now i completely use XAMP and its working fine for most of my projects

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Now, I am not using both.I have installed apache httpd, php 5.3.3, mysql, phpmyadmin, filezilla ftp server and hmail server.This taught me how all these things together works, and best about this is that os is very well aware that these things are present, so other applications can use them too, while in case of xampp or wamp you have to tell it manually.

Well for a begineer or for portability purposes xampp or wamp is good.XAMPP helped me to continue web development when my hard disk died and I was using live cd of ubuntu and my 2GB usb flash drive to learn zend framework.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
xampp. As a mac user, I require something that works for Mac :)

I also like how easy it is to start up and shut down - I only need to press a button.

~Callum

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
I mainly use WAMP but I have xampp installed as a side server since I run a backup server and CMS. Also, you can get wamp to allow perl easily, just that you'd have to start it seperate without a script.

Dinoraptor101

Reaction score
xampp. As a mac user, I require something that works for Mac :)

I also like how easy it is to start up and shut down - I only need to press a button.

~Callum

I actually can't tell the difference since both WAMP and use XAMPP benefit only in making an easier control of your server.

But XAMPP comes with more pre-installed stuff it's more used by developers for a strange reason.... but less stable.

WAMP is super stable , easier for beginners.. but it's functionality depends on the developer's abilities to configure it manually.. O.O I'm on trying both out for now.

MyDigitalpoint

Reaction score
Xampp is probably the best solution to set up a server on your desktop under a Windows environment.

However the versions coming after 1.7.3 may not work at all, particularly the latest version which can't be installed properly.

If you need to setup a home server for testing purposes stick to 1.7.3, which is more likely the same set up you will find in an online LInux environment.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I've been using Xampp for some time (2-4 years), and I've had almost no problem with versions prior to 1.7.3, but after an upgrade I had problems starting left and right, so I decided, when I re-formated my computer to instead manually install the components I needed. I have been using my custom system for a few months now, and I have not a single problem. The only thing I miss is the xampp control panel, but I coded a little application to do a similar job, even if it's not as good.

parklambo

Reaction score
i'm using XAMPP, but you need to edit some line in php.ini when you run a codeigniter framework site on localhost, because you will see too many error.

Last edited:

nullcity.dev91

Reaction score
XAMPP means

Cross-Platform, which means its for any OS!
Apache 2, which means it has latest apache version
MySQL, which means it has MySQL
PHP, which means it has php
Perl, which means it has perl!

Better! Even has a Apache Tomcat, PostgreSQL, and more extensions to it!

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
I have never attempted to use WAMP, but for nearly a year I have been using XAMPP and I really like it. It has apache, php, mysql, ftp and email preinstalled making it a very good solution for beginners. It puzzled me a bit during installation though because I wasn't running it as Administrator and another thing was installed called IIS that was interfering. But after I finally got it working, I'm really happy about it - thanks apachefriends! :D

ank

Reaction score
I just thought you people out which is better Xampp or Vamp?

Meaning feature and stability-wise?
I used both but can't find much difference...
As i realized on it , Xampp is just good but Wamp has its own competences like being good for beginner and more easy to start getting online. So it is a good alternative all the time for Xampp. Read more about it on the article http://techwikasta.com/2012/11/wamp-the-alternative-to-xampp/

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
never had a chance to try wamp maybe because i never had a issue with xampp :)