Control Panel problem

Reaction score
xp sp3 control panel problem

bezimenai.jpg

trakz94

Reaction score
In the screenshot it shows a link to view the technical information, can you post that info so I can see what the error was.

Are you using IE6 ?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Have you installed anything to your PC recently that might have caused this? Utilities and Settings Managers tend to plant themselves into the Control Panel, but they should not be causing crashes.

Jennacide

Reaction score
Okay...

rtsndmgr.cpl is a realtec driver and the error code 0000D959 is related to Backdoor.IRC.Zcrew

My suggestion:

Open up IE (yeah I know, just do it)... navigate to security.symantec.com and click "Continue to Symantec Security Check" then click "start" under Virus Detection. Download the plugin's (there should be two of them) and allow the scan to work. If anything is found, you'll be notified with links that takes you to the KB document that'll show you how to remove said found virus.

I hope I'm wrong...

henk506673

Reaction score
Okay...

rtsndmgr.cpl is a realtec driver and the error code 0000D959 is related to Backdoor.IRC.Zcrew

My suggestion:

Open up IE (yeah I know, just do it)... navigate to security.symantec.com and click "Continue to Symantec Security Check" then click "start" under Virus Detection. Download the plugin's (there should be two of them) and allow the scan to work. If anything is found, you'll be notified with links that takes you to the KB document that'll show you how to remove said found virus.

I hope I'm wrong...

after that when you succed in getting rid of of said viruse/s then go to avast.com and download the free protection, it is the best. you can not get any better. what you most likely need to do though is very extreme due to the fact that this is a strong virus. what you will probably need to do is to re install your os and loose everything but that should be no problem because you will eventualy loose everything from the virus anyways. Good luck!!!!

Jennacide

Reaction score
what you most likely need to do though is very extreme due to the fact that this is a strong virus. what you will probably need to do is to re install your os and loose everything but that should be no problem because you will eventualy loose everything from the virus anyways. Good luck!!!!

Woah woah woah woah woah there! Please don't suggest a format when one is certainly NOT required. If you'd care to know anything about this trojan then please by all means click here. As you can see from the writeup, the threat level is listed as LOW and the threat containment is listed as EASY which means it's not circulating very much and it's easy peasy to contain and get rid of. To suggest a total reformat is... well, wrong. A reformat suggestion is an absolute LAST ditch effort that will most definitely get rid of the trojan but let's be real here, there's no need for a format if the need doesn't arise and in this situation even if he's infected there's still no need to reformat.

FYI: Trojans are just that, they appear to be something else, something the victim might want, like a driver, video, pic, you name it. Once it gets into the system usually it'll deliver it's payload after the user activates its launcher, ie: opening the vid, viewing the pic, trying to install the whatever. Until then, it's as harmless as dust. IF he's infected which we have no idea if he is or not, then the user can simply follow the steps outlined in the KB provided in this post to remove and clean their system. So, in a nutshell, a trojan isn't a virus at all, not in the full sense of it. It's just a program designed to get in, then it drops its payload which is typically a php sniffer or keylogger designed to email that info back to the creator and while doing so, grab the user's email contacts then email itself out to them via a pop3 connection. That's it, nothing too techy to say the least.

Last edited:

henk506673

Reaction score
true but it would no doubt work and solve all problems includeing this one and any others but you are right that idea was very extreme. but i still would suggest that the user gets avast antivirus 6 for future use. it would stop something like that before it got started. also avast has a boot time scan so the user could tell it to scan before the system fully starts. infact i would download avast and have it run the boot scan, only downside, the boot scan is very thorough and would take all day, but the computer would be saved.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

also it is a virus. it does things that the user does not want done, acceses files, corrupts the drive, turns the computer into a slave. the only difference is that it needs to be activated by something and a virus does not always need to be activated

Jennacide

Reaction score
Again, no... If the computer is infected, then downloading and installing a security program will NOT help. The majority of viri out there today are designed to shut down the heuristics as well as real time scanning, so if you install a security software to an already infected computer, you're not going to help it one bit. Hence the reason why I suggested the free online scan. Only after that scan has completed and we know for certain if it's infected can we go about by following the directions in the KB article posted above to remove the infection. After that's been completed and only after that's been completed should the user consider installing security software, NEVER EVER BEFORE.

also it is a virus. it does things that the user does not want done, acceses files, corrupts the drive, turns the computer into a slave. the only difference is that it needs to be activated by something and a virus does not always need to be activated

AGAIN! we do NOT know if it's a virus or not. From what the OP posted it sounds like it might be a virus, but until the OP goes through the motions and reports back, there's no way to really tell for sure! Please stop posting things like the above quote. I don't know for sure if it is, it's impossible for you to know so don't say that it is until we KNOW! This is also a Trojan, it does not access things the user doesn't want other than their email contact list and that's only if the trojan is coded to do that. If not, it merely logs key strokes, that's it! Trojans do NOT typically harm the computer, the whole point of a trjoan is to keep it's existence on an infected machine a secret. Otherwise it cannot possibly do it's job. Furthermore, a virus, trojan, malware or bloatware all MUST be activated for them to perform their jobs. You can have the world's most deadly computer virus on your machine and until you activate it, it just sits there, doing N O T H I N G. As it's clear you don't know what you're talking about, I ask that you no longer post invalid suggestions. Also, please have a firm understanding of an issue before jumping in and spouting off random suggestions that would clearly do more harm than good.

Last edited:

henk506673

Reaction score
not if the program is turned on before the computer fully boots like what happens in a boot time scan. but if you dont agree with that then here is another idea. burn a live cd with something like avair rescue cd, bit defender rescue cd and burn either of those to a cd and boot into that and run the scan.

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

Again, no... If the computer is infected, then downloading and installing a security program will NOT help. The majority of viri out there today are designed to shut down the heuristics as well as real time scanning, so if you install a security software to an already infected computer, you're not going to help it one bit. Hence the reason why I suggested the free online scan. Only after that scan has completed and we know for certain if it's infected can we go about by following the directions in the KB article posted above to remove the infection. After that's been completed and only after that's been completed should the user consider installing security software, NEVER EVER BEFORE.

AGAIN! we do NOT know if it's a virus or not. From what the OP posted it sounds like it might be a virus, but until the OP goes through the motions and reports back, there's no way to really tell for sure! Please stop posting things like the above quote. I don't know for sure if it is, it's impossible for you to know so don't say that it is until we KNOW! This is also a Trojan, it does not access things the user doesn't want other than their email contact list and that's only if the trojan is coded to do that. If not, it merely logs key strokes, that's it! Trojans do NOT typically harm the computer, the whole point of a trjoan is to keep it's existence on an infected machine a secret. Otherwise it cannot possibly do it's job. Furthermore, a virus, trojan, malware or bloatware all MUST be activated for them to perform their jobs. You can have the world's most deadly computer virus on your machine and until you activate it, it just sits there, doing N O T H I N G. As it's clear you don't know what you're talking about, I ask that you no longer post invalid suggestions. Also, please have a firm understanding of an issue before jumping in and spouting off random suggestions that would clearly do more harm than good.

you know what? i believe that i have provided a worthy solution. weather or not you think it is a solution is your problem. i personaly dont care what you say seeing as you have just the same amount of power in the x10 community as i do. and by the way you your self said that the error code was linked to a trojan horse. therefore the computer does have a virus. a virus is a virus and a trojen horse is nothing more than a virus with a timer that when a specific event happens activates it. anyway good bye.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Interrupting before Flame War (Which I know Jennacide certainly won't start or participate in, but still):

henk: You're wrong. There's so many factors involved with this, the only way we'd be able to tell is (as Jenna said), running a scan with a tool such as Symantec's programs, HijackThis, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, or various other tools. Installing Virus Protection software is the wrong step. It's a preventative measure, and many of them do absolutely nothing to remove virii from the infected system. That being said, if this is an infected system, the virus(es) could render any anti-virus (notice anti, meaning preventative measure, not removal) program useless. Jenna is right in all places.

I know you may be from a different country, and English may not be your first language (just a guess from your grammatical and spelling errors), but you need to learn to listen to people. No one knows everything. Your methods may work perfectly well, but not in this situation. Jenna's advice is what to take in this situation.

Jenna:

Spot on job here.