Is there a way to blacklist MAC addresses?

zeldaprajihd45

Reaction score
I have seen website owners who complain about people using TOR or similar software to change ip address when my auction site is ready i would like to make sure no one that gets banned returns since I understand that MAC adress don't change ever.
THANKS FOR HELPING

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
MAC addresses are not sent via HTTP, so you cannot use them to blacklist users.

zeldaprajihd45

Reaction score
Thanks for your help
Reputation Awarded for your help
HD
WAITING FOR THREAD TO GET CLOSED

renr3n

Reaction score
It's very hard to stick to the mentality that IP address directly links to a person; it's not. ISP's use dynamic IP address and it means one household can obtain different IP address just be resetting the modem. You're best bet, I think, is to compare the IP to a known list of proxies and block them if they are using one. You can also try requiring the users to register in order to use your site. If you suspect the user has a previously banned account, you can cross-check both profiles. Check if their profile and activity seems very similar and use your best judgment.

Just a side note, MAC address can be changed/spoofed.

Chris S

Retired
Reaction score
Just a side note, MAC address can be changed/spoofed.

And it is rare, but there can be duplicate MAC addresses out there. I'll edit with a picture if I can find it, but I saw one where a guy had two NICs in his hand with different serials, but the same MAC

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
You can change/spoof mac addresses anyways.

zeldaprajihd45

Reaction score
Yeah found out macs can spoof MAC address with 3 commands guess my chance to become a new good forum member has come

---------- Post added at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

Got banned from a previous one for saying that racism against countries wasn't correct. Good thing moderators here are internet ready hippies who know how to do their jobs and when

Darkmere

Reaction score
You can spoof MAC addresses but it is impractical ... most security companies out there state that for a person to hack into a network via the MAC address takes on average 6.8 million guesses to get one right. The time it would take for a computer to spoof the address log on and the get booted by the router or switch and then repeat the actions would take a computer several months. It is more practical to break into a system remotely.

zeldaprajihd45

Reaction score
Well I found a way of using a packet sniffer to obtain the MAC address of a user in that network.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah ... those work for WiFi dont they? What about physical connections?

Only if you're attached to a hub or are attached to a "middle-man" device.

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Only if you're attached to a hub or are attached to a "middle-man" device.
You mean like... ARP spoofing/sniffing?

Man in the middle attacks are fun.

People at school should really learn to pick stronger passwords...