360 vs. ps3

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I'd go for the PS3, although I think they should have kept the backwards compatibility with PS2 games.

bigtree

Reaction score
PS3 vs Xbox 360

Just out of curiosity, what are everyone's opinions about Xbox 360 vs PS3?

Personally, I think PS3 is better because it has blu-ray, it's by sony and it has nice wi-fi connectivity. Plus, the Xbox 360 has a 40% out-of-the-box fault probability! But then again, Xbox has Halo and overall better games.... but PS3 has better graphics and controllers and...... you know...

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360

We've never seen this topic before here. :biggrin:

http://forums.x10hosting.com/gamers-lounge/81248-what-would-you-rather-have.html
http://forums.x10hosting.com/gamers-lounge/77124-best-current-gen-console.html
http://forums.x10hosting.com/gamers-lounge/66350-ps3-xbox-360-a.html
http://forums.x10hosting.com/gamers-lounge/66715-whats-faster-xbox-360-elite-ps3.html
http://forums.x10hosting.com/gamers-lounge/57861-ps3-v-s-xbox360.html
http://forums.x10hosting.com/gamers-lounge/47973-360-vs-ps3.html
http://forums.x10hosting.com/gamers-lounge/42025-ps3-xbox-360-wii.html
http://forums.x10hosting.com/gamers-lounge/43418-wii-vs-playstation3-vs-x-box-360-a.html

I assure you, you'll be getting the same answers as the previous attempts.

This forum either needs a subforum for the console wars to clean up the console bashing/arguing or it should get a sticky topic with Xbox 360 vs. PS3 or whatever, imo.

But for sake of the argument:

Blu-Ray is great, pretty much the only positive of the PS3, even if it is slow.

RROD is a thing of the past. The Xbox 360s that are being produced today have the issue resolved and to top it all off Microsoft fixes RROD for free with there extended three year warranty.

It's impossible to say which controller is better. I like the 360 controller better, but the PS3's D-pad is better. I like the 360's button and triggers, the PS3's triggers feel totally off to me.

People say PS3's graphics are better, but in real world games, it just isn't the case. Maybe in tech demos they look pretty, but in retail games most of them look and play worse than there Xbox 360 counter part.

Games wise, the 360 still has the edge with third parties jumping on board with them every day. It has more games and better games at that.

Last edited:

Mptr23

Reaction score

Depends what kind of games you want to play...

MarioMaster

Reaction score

if u cracked open one of each, u'd see how a ps3 is way better than the 360 on the inside.

theterminator

Reaction score

Xbox 360 because of it's games and I heard that Microsoft will begin to sell Blu-Ray Players for the Xbox 360. Also I prefer the Xbox 360 controller to the PS3 controller. I have never had any problems with the Xbox, but I have one friend who had the Red Ring of Death but sent it to Microsoft and in about 2 weeks he got it back. It was also because he got his Xbox before that problem got fixed and does not give it enough space to air out.

bigtree

Reaction score

Blu-Ray is great, pretty much the only positive of the PS3, even if it is slow.
Au contraire, the Blu-Ray player is pretty fast!

RROD is a thing of the past. The Xbox 360s that are being produced today have the issue resolved and to top it all off Microsoft fixes RROD for free with there extended three year warranty.
RROD isn't the only problem that comes out of the box. Anyways, Microsoft's Xbox Extended Warranty Sucks... You have to send it in at your own cost, and then they can keep it for however long they want (no time guarantee). Plus, there is no "no-lemon" policy.

It's impossible to say which controller is better. I like the 360 controller better, but the PS3's D-pad is better. I like the 360's button and triggers, the PS3's triggers feel totally off to me.
Don't you think that the 360's controller's are chunky and awkward, though?

People say PS3's graphics are better, but in real world games, it just isn't the case. Maybe in tech demos they look pretty, but in retail games most of them look and play worse than there Xbox 360 counter part.
Quite untrue! PS3 has much better graphics, partly owing to the amount of processing power it has, not to mention how it uses Blu-Ray technology as opposed to Xbox's HD technology.

Games wise, the 360 still has the edge with third parties jumping on board with them every day. It has more games and better games at that.
For this, I agree with you!

Depends what kind of games you want to play...
Exactly.

Xbox 360 because of it's games and I heard that Microsoft will begin to sell Blu-Ray Players for the Xbox 360. Also I prefer the Xbox 360 controller to the PS3 controller. I have never had any problems with the Xbox, but I have one friend who had the Red Ring of Death but sent it to Microsoft and in about 2 weeks he got it back. It was also because he got his Xbox before that problem got fixed and does not give it enough space to air out.
Dang, your friend got really lucky to get his Xbox back in 2 weeks! Do you live in the US?

That doesn't even make sense.
Lol yeah...

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

Au contraire, the Blu-Ray player is pretty fast!

It's not fast enough for games like Oblivion without use of redundant data on each layer.

For example, on a dual layered DVD (on the 360), Oblivion's large files are burned on the outside layer of the disc. The laser reads that part of the disc faster, which results in faster loading times.

The Blu-ray reads at constant speeds which can be significantly slower in comparison.

Another thing to mention is that a lot of games require installations on the PS3 to remedy this problem which only adds to the problems with the Blu-Ray drive.

RROD isn't the only problem that comes out of the box. Anyways, Microsoft's Xbox Extended Warranty Sucks... You have to send it in at your own cost, and then they can keep it for however long they want (no time guarantee). Plus, there is no "no-lemon" policy.

They provide the box and the cost of shipping. They will be fixing the console for free, so time isn't an issue, especially if it's broken.

At least that's how it is here in the US. I'm sure Canada has similar policies.

What's a "no-lemon policy"?

Don't you think that the 360's controller's are chunky and awkward, though?

Nope, I find it very comfortable. It is sturdy and doesn't feel like I can break it with my hands when I'm playing games, unlike the PS3 controller.

Quite untrue! PS3 has much better graphics, partly owing to the amount of processing power it has, not to mention how it uses Blu-Ray technology as opposed to Xbox's HD technology.

Where's your proof other than Sony marketing saying it has better graphics? Tech demos are nice, but I've always believe in cold hard real examples like retail games.

If you look around online you'll see many different sources that have actually compared games on each system and the majority of the time the games have both looked and played better (frame rate, graphical detail etc) on the 360.

Last edited:

bigtree

Reaction score

It's not fast enough for games like Oblivion without use of redundant data on each layer.

For example, on a dual layered DVD (on the 360), Oblivion's large files are burned on the outside layer of the disc. The laser reads that part of the disc faster, which results in faster loading times.

The Blu-ray reads at constant speeds which can be significantly slower in comparison.

Yes, but there is also a speed advantage of having all the data on a single layered disc. It takes some time to access the second layer of the disc, and even if you say that the important files are on the outside layer, the small files are still importatnt and will take time to load.

They provide the box and the cost of shipping. They will be fixing the console for free, so time isn't an issue, especially if it's broken.

At least that's how it is here in the US. I'm sure Canada has similar policies.
Yeah, it's different in Canada. We have to pay for shipping.

What's a "no-lemon policy"?
A no lemon policy is when a product keeps having to get fixed, usually more than three times, the next time it is replaced insterad of fixed (of course, with a transfer of saved data and settings).

Nope, I find it very comfortable. It is sturdy and doesn't feel like I can break it with my hands when I'm playing games, unlike the PS3 controller.
OK, but I think this is a matter of personal preference. I prefer the tinyness and the layout of the PS3 controller.

Where's your proof other than Sony marketing saying it has better graphics? Tech demos are nice, but I've always believe in cold hard real examples like retail games.

If you look around online you'll see many different sources that have actually compared games on each system and the majority of the time the games have both looked and played better (frame rate, graphical detail etc) on the 360.
Not really! I work at Best Buy and we work on testing the two consoles. I find that the PS3 is
much more realistic overall. The only thing I see that Xbox dominates in regarding graphics is frame rate... PS3# has a slower FR.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

Yes, but there is also a speed advantage of having all the data on a single layered disc. It takes some time to access the second layer of the disc, and even if you say that the important files are on the outside layer, the small files are still importatnt and will take time to load.

Well, the point I'm trying to make is that by them putting the larger files on the outer layer, they get loaded faster. Smaller files like sound files and such are usually loaded after and do not require those faster speeds needed by the larger files.

Yeah, it's different in Canada. We have to pay for shipping.

That's a shame then. At least they aren't charging you 100 bucks for a warranty.
A no lemon policy is when a product keeps having to get fixed, usually more than three times, the next time it is replaced insterad of fixed (of course, with a transfer of saved data and settings).

Why is that a problem? You'll retain all of your information because the hard drive is not tied to any system.

OK, but I think this is a matter of personal preference. I prefer the tinyness and the layout of the PS3 controller.

Absolutely. In total agreement there.\

Not really! I work at Best Buy and we work on testing the two consoles. I find that the PS3 is
much more realistic overall. The only thing I see that Xbox dominates in regarding graphics is frame rate... PS3# has a slower FR.

No disrespect but many of the tests done are done by people who know what they are doing. They provide examples like videos and screen captures.

I'm sure whatever game you've tested might look more realistic on the PS3, but it really differs with each game.

Frame rate isn't a universal problem with all PS3 games. Some games even have better frame rates than on the 360. As I said, it varies between each game.

I'm not saying all PS3 games look worse though. I'm saying that in comparison to the 360 the PS3 is usually the one to get the worse version of the two.

bigtree

Reaction score

Well, the point I'm trying to make is that by them putting the larger files on the outer layer, they get loaded faster. Smaller files like sound files and such are usually loaded after and do not require those faster speeds needed by the larger files.
All right, but that doesn't make Blu-Ray slow, it ust makes Blu-Ray slower than Xbox 360.

That's a shame then. At least they aren't charging you 100 bucks for a warranty.
At least...

Why is that a problem? You'll retain all of your information because the hard drive is not tied to any system.
Yeah, but say the hard drive keeps getting messed up. THey'll transfer all your data to a new Xbox and give it to you.

I'm not saying all PS3 games look worse though. I'm saying that in comparison to the 360 the PS3 is usually the one to get the worse version of the two.
Yeah, I guess your right, then.

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

Yeah, but say the hard drive keeps getting messed up. THey'll transfer all your data to a new Xbox and give it to you.

Oh do you mean like the transfer of your gamer tag to a new console, but not your save files?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score

Oh do you mean like the transfer of your gamer tag to a new console, but not your save files?

The contents on the hard drive is anything on there. That includes your gamertag (which can be just redownloaded), your saved files, media, etc. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

The contents on the hard drive is anything on there. That includes your gamertag (which can be just redownloaded), your saved files, media, etc. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

But they just send you a transfer cable with a new hard drive to do that. There would be no need to send in the Xbox then.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd go for the PS3, although I think they should have kept the backwards compatibility with PS2 games.

Didn't they initially have backwards compatibility with PS2 games and still have it?

JessicaM

Reaction score
I own a PS3. I often don't like these consel wars, but I guess I'll put my 2 cent in this.

I find the PS3 better over the 360 because I think it has a better game selection for my taste, and I find it having better freatures. Also I think the 360 is overrated, and alot of the game are too. I hate Halo, the only one I liked was the first, but the rest was the same game to me. Only thing thats diffrent is online play from what I sawed, But I don't play online. Not my thing.

I would have said the Wii but my likeness for Nintendo went down at E3.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I own a PS3. I often don't like these consel wars, but I guess I'll put my 2 cent in this.

I find the PS3 better over the 360 because I think it has a better game selection for my taste, and I find it having better freatures. Also I think the 360 is overrated, and alot of the game are too. I hate Halo, the only one I liked was the first, but the rest was the same game to me. Only thing thats diffrent is online play from what I sawed, But I don't play online. Not my thing.

I would have said the Wii but my likeness for Nintendo went down at E3.

So what games exactly?