503 Service Unavailable error by Web Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

interne3

Reaction score
I get a 503 Service Unavailable error by the web server sometimes when I surf on my Vanilla Forum. I forgot the web server name

interne3

Reaction score
I checked my error logs and there are a whole lot of errors that state this: 2013-10-30 17:24:45.562 [INFO] [50.10.186.42:51258-0#APVH_internetforum.x10host.com] File not found [/home/interne6/public_html/503.shtml]

interne3

Reaction score
This is another error my site is giving me (not my error logs): Fatal error: Call to undefined function override_function() in /home/override.php on line 22
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'override_fsockopen' (T_STRING) in /home/override.php(22) : runtime-created override function on line 1
Two errors created from one file

Last edited:

jfrancis79

Prime Account
Reaction score
I’m glad to see that I am not the only one who is getting the 503 error. It seems that every since I have updated Wordpress to the latest version I am getting this non-stop when I try to save, edit, or preview a blog post or page.

I have searched the forum but it seems to be no real fix or solution. It seems that this has been an issue on VOX

bradleyx

Reaction score
same here its been happening to me specially right as i save a page or a setting.

martijnvdc72

Reaction score
Same problem here.
I'm only using some php scripts and a mysql database.
Will this issue still be there if i upgrade to premium hosting?!
I'm going to stay a free member until this is sorted out...

Ohso

Prime Account
Reaction score
Probably not. on free hosting we are not guaranteed anything and that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
The error basically means that the server is too busy to handle the request at the particular time.

The reason for this can of course vary, one reason that free hosting is more prone to then paid hosting (regardless of host involved) is that there's people that with intent abuse the service given by basically hijacking the server resources, if there's enough abusers at the same time this would obviously cause an issue as there would be no resources left for the normal page views.

Not all abuse is intentional of course, it can be caused by badly coded scripts that fail to release the resources properly as well but the end result would be the same as intentional abuse, there's no free resources available at that time.

The problem with solving these kinds of problems is finding the abusers, they may not be apparant unless you manage to catch them in the act, and to be able to do that it means someone would constantly have to monitor what happens every second. We have monitors that alerts when something happens of course, but there may still be a few minutes before abusers are found and shut down causing temporary issues.

As for if it will happen on paid hosting, that would be very unlikley, first of all the intentional abuse is almost completely abscent, there would be money lost if they are caught as no refunds would be given. As for the unintentional abuse, yes that could in theory cause a problem but is very unlikley to do so as there are more resources available per user on paid hosting, there's far less users on each server.

Does the problem always occur at the same time? if so could you let us know what time they occur, as well as what timezone you are in so we could try to pinpoint what happens on the server at that given time by checking logs.

Ohso

Prime Account
Reaction score
Hi, Anna. Thanks for the information and info it really does help. Today I got an one hour timeout cus of cpu issue while making sql imports and exports. It was not intentionally, but at least now I know the kind of things that can ruin it for others. I will be more careful next time.. :oops:

For me, The 503 error has been happening on all hours of the day or night this week. Not random. It happens always especially when working within the admin control panel. confirming things like clearing cache or setting an option and once hit the submit button, it goes to the 503 error. I don't get the 503 while normal browsing or posting. I'm using a phpbb3 board. I tried installing a fresh board to test out and it wont let me finish the process without getting the 503.

my time zone is Eastern Time Zone (UTC-05:00). server: absolute

channelw

Reaction score
Hi, Anna. Thanks for the information and info it really does help. Today I got an one hour timeout cus of cpu issue while making sql imports and exports. It was not intentionally, but at least now I know the kind of things that can ruin it for others. I will be more careful next time.. :oops:

For me, The 503 error has been happening on all hours of the day or night this week. Not random. It happens always especially when working within the admin control panel. confirming things like clearing cache or setting an option and once hit the submit button, it goes to the 503 error. I don't get the 503 while normal browsing or posting. I'm using a phpbb3 board. I tried installing a fresh board to test out and it wont let me finish the process without getting the 503.

That's what was happening to my MediaWiki install. X10 are probably the best free host though. I've since moved to Name.com's paid hosting and that has not had an error since. I wonder if in cPanel's stats, that when the error's are occurring the CPU usage is up.

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score

^
Basically this (for when errors occur), for me, since I also use a phpBB board and have a time zone of EST

interne3

Reaction score
I have a time zone of UTC-06:00 (Central Standard time)
I can't count at what time it happens because it happens randomly through out the day no matter what I'm doing

martijnvdc72

Reaction score
It happens 24/7 on my website. Which makes it unusable for my 3300 viewers per day.
i have to look for a different host since this problem won't be solved.

bradleyx

Reaction score
as you all can see this error isnt just for one person or being random its being caused by the servers itself. which means its nothing we can do. its the hoster that needs to go through and look at the errors and fix it.

its annoying to have to f5 to save settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.