Alternatives for XAMPP?

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
XAMPP sems like a dead project since mySQL and phpMyAdmin is corrupt when installing. Are there any working alternatives for windows?

struni

Reaction score
WAMP server. Really good. I have been using it for long time. With WAMP you'll never get many problems you face with XAMPP.

RossSchVle

Banned
Reaction score
Install everything manually, or use linux ;) but WAMP is a good alternative and won't fail like XAMPP

jhnrk

Reaction score
Uniform server is also good alternative. I've been using it and it works without problem. What I like most in it, is the virtual disk drive feature. Accessing files gets way more quicker when www-folders are in root of a drive.
It's also portable so I tend to carry it on a USB-stick.

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
There's always IIS. eBay uses IIS, as does Microsoft.

Chris S

Retired
Reaction score
im using xampp and never really had a problem with it, and to add another problem in the mix, its on an external drive that I can carry around with my and plug and play basically. I guess I just got lucky.

I have also used wamp and have also had good success. There was one that I had installed at on my computer that was a task it had everything you could think of and even created a user account...don't remember the name but I ended up uninstalling it after a short time

adamlinux

Reaction score
I really like apache because its dead simple and the config file is really easy to edit and customize.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
You could try installing the software one by one. PHP and MySQL doesn't take too much time to configure if you set it up via the installer. Apache on Windows does take more time, but use IIS in Windows if possible. You can install that from your Windows CD/DVD.

f1lt3rh34d

Reaction score
AppServ is also nice.

AppServ 2.5.10
* Apache 2.2.8
* PHP 5.2.6
* MySQL 5.0.51b
* phpMyAdmin-2.10.3

there are also other versions available.

omniuni

Reaction score
There's always IIS. eBay uses IIS, as does Microsoft.

First, IIS is notoriously difficult to get working correctly (last time I tried with our IT guy, we kept running into little things, and finally I just moved to an off-site Linux server). Next, I visited eBay just to make sure, but...

It's using Apache's Tomcat server. (Apache-Coyote/1.1)

I am, however, pretty sure that Microsoft is indeed using IIS now, although they did use Xenix (unix) well into the 90's. I've used XAMPP on Linux without problems, but I've also heard WAMPP is good.

Last edited: