Am i really this stupid? Or is it just not possible on x10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neomotion

Reaction score
Hi.

I joined x10 (free) to try out the service. So far, pleasantly surprised. But i have a question which i can't seem to figure out.

I have a blog at: neomotion.x10hosting.com. My domain name is www.jarir.nl. I have the domain pointing to the blog. Sofar so good. Here's where it goes wrong.

Whenever you go the adres www.jarir.nl, you get at the home page. Then, when you go to any post or page, it shows the neomotion.x10hosting.com adres, and the permalinks are also the x10hosting adres. For example:"

http://neomotion.x10hosting.com/jarir/2009/05/the-state-of-things/
should be
http://www.jarir.nl/2009/05/the-state-of-things/

Offcourse i want all this set up to say jarir.nl, but somehow i can't get it to work.

Where can i get this to work? Am i missing something? It worked like a charm on my previous host, but they had alot of other problems.

I am using Wordpress 2.7.1. Any suggestions? It is driving me crazy.

K.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Hi,

Try looking through your WordPress config file. It's possible that the .x10hosting.com address is set in the settings, so WordPress is using that instead of your own domain.

neomotion

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions sofar. Here's my config.php, but i don't see it referring to x10hosting anywhere

Code:
// ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
define('WP_CACHE', true); //Added by WP-Cache Manager
define('DB_NAME', '*****');

/** MySQL database username */
define('DB_USER', '****');

/** MySQL database password */
define('DB_PASSWORD', '****');

/** MySQL hostname */
define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');

/** The Database Collate type. Don't change this if in doubt. */
define('DB_COLLATE', '');

/**#@+
 * Authentication Unique Keys.
 * Change these to different unique phrases!
 * You can generate these using the {@link https://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/ WordPress.org secret-key service}
 * @since 2.6.0
 */
define('AUTH_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here');
define('SECURE_AUTH_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here');
define('LOGGED_IN_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here');
define('NONCE_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here');
/**#@-*/

/**
 * WordPress Database Table prefix.
 * You can have multiple installations in one database if you give each a unique
 * prefix. Only numbers, letters, and underscores please!
 */
$table_prefix  = 'jarir_';

/**
 * WordPress Localized Language, defaults to English.
 * Change this to localize WordPress.  A corresponding MO file for the chosen
 * language must be installed to wp-content/languages. For example, install
 * de.mo to wp-content/languages and set WPLANG to 'de' to enable German
 * language support.
 */
define ('WPLANG', '');

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

/** WordPress absolute path to the Wordpress directory. */
if ( !defined('ABSPATH') )
	define('ABSPATH', dirname(__FILE__) . '/');

/** Sets up WordPress vars and included files. */
require_once(ABSPATH . 'wp-settings.php');
?>

Am i missing something?

Hmm, small update: the only refer i see to x10hosting is in the .htaccess i installed for wp super cache. Maybe i should try to replace these for jarir.nl?

Again, thanks sofar for the help.

K.

neomotion

Reaction score
No move, fresh install. I really don't get it, can't figure it out. But thanks for the suggestion.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess you used the x10 hosting address when you installed? To make it not redirect there you need to alter the settings of wordpress.

should be possible to change from inside wordpress, under settings -> general. What you need to change is: WordPress address (URL) and Blog address (URL) (with a default installation they should be the same)

if the above fails you can use phpmyadmin (accessable from your cpanel) to change the information about your wordpress location that is stored in the database, there's two variables you would need to change there.

neomotion

Reaction score
Tried both options. I can't change the blog adres, i get logged out and need to use phpMyAdmin to changes the values to get back in. It is just driving me nuts. But again, thanks for suggestion.

Anyone?

Last edited:

neomotion

Reaction score
NO!

Go into wordpress, and change your settings!

I'll get screenshots later!

http://yourblogurl.com/wp-admin/options-general.php

there you can change the default uri's.
BLAH!

Tried that, if i change the settings, i get the messed up page without theme, and i can't login again. I need to go into phpMyAdmin and change the url before i can get back in.

I think i'll try the backup and new install tomorrow. I really don't get why it won't work.

Thanks anyway.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
a backup of the database would contain the faulty settings... So in order for that to actually work, you'd need to make sure you don't "overwrite" the settings table when you restore the backup.

I think the reason it fails is you forgot to change both values before you pressed "save changes"

changing the values has always worked for me, both using the settings panel and the phpmyadmin option

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.