Any guides for starting phpbb3 forums?

Arkayer

Reaction score
I am a total newbie when it comes to this stuff. I've only gotten as far as downloading the "phpBB 3.0.2 (zip)" file and I don't know what to do next.

I know I want to use x10Hosting to host the forum, but I don't know where to start. Are there any people/guides out there that can explain how to make a phpbb3 forum step-by-step?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

TheMan177

Reaction score
First, go into cPanel's MySQL database manager, and create a database, create a user and asign it to that database, as well. Once you have the database, upload the PhpBB zip file, and extract it into the directory of your choice.

Once that's done, navigate to the forum's install url, which will be <forumdirectory>/install/index.php. You'll be prompted to fill in the details for the database (that you just created), as well as some other settings, and the creation of the first forum account. This thread may be of use to you. It would also be a good idea to take a look at PhpBB's official documentation.

brunoais

Reaction score
And if you need help installing (which I don't think you do) you may ask me for help :)

Arkayer

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, but I really am a total newbie at this, seeing that I barely understood what TheMan117 said. :\

I don't have a domain, besides those .tk redirects. Where would I find cPanel's MySQL database manager?

TheMan177

Reaction score
Login to cPanel at yoursite.tk:2082 if you haven't already. Once you're in, under a catagory called databases, there'll be a link called "MySQL® Databases"

mysqlpic1.gif

Last edited:

ovensuk

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm thinking of setting up a site with a phpbb forum as well.

I've got the basic, adfree account at the moment. I notice that this doesn't allocate as much storage and bandwidth as the 'ad-enhanced' account.

Is this account type suitable for such a forum or might I suffer if there is a lot of traffic/forum members? Also is the basic php configuration generally suitable?

Regards

brunoais

Reaction score
You must have the intermediate php vertion in order to the forum work at its best cabability.
You must choose accordingly to what are your needs

TheMan177

Reaction score
As brunoais said, it depends on what you need. The adfree account type is fine for a forum, it just depends on how much traffic you expect to be getting.

kkenny

Reaction score
Have you also checked the Tutorials forums on how to install phpBB3?
It should be a helpful forum.

ovensuk

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your comments.

I have read through the phpBB3 tutorials and it doesn't seem outrageously difficult (within my capabilities at least!!!).

I don't really know what to expect re. traffic volume. I'm just thinking of creating a site for experience sake having never done a forum before. It's likely to be a local (Devon, UK) interest site so not likely to be massive traffic.

That answers my question nicely. I saw a 'sticky' about closing threads when your question has been answered. I'm assuming I cannot do this as I'm not the thread starter? (And it would be a little disrespectful to Arkayer as well)

Cheers.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm thinking of setting up a site with a phpbb forum as well.

I've got the basic, adfree account at the moment. I notice that this doesn't allocate as much storage and bandwidth as the 'ad-enhanced' account.

Is this account type suitable for such a forum or might I suffer if there is a lot of traffic/forum members? Also is the basic php configuration generally suitable?

Regards

Next time, please open a seperate thread for your issue, instead of hi-jacking someone else's thread.

Last edited: