Any suggestions?

ilsonowl

Reaction score
Just set up my own website. http://www.matthenshaw.com

Any suggestions? Links?? What should go on there?

Know any nice tutorials to sex it up a bit?

Lastly, but I suppose most certainly not leastly, you like the music??

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
CONTENT - more CONTENT - and shed loads MORE CONTENT!!!

The music, the band, Tour dates, Venues, Who, What,Where , Why and when, photos , blogs all this should be on your web site.. where it all belongs. Otherwise there is little point in having a web site.

Think about keeping ALL your music and video files inside your own site rather than using YouTube. Put teasers and shorts on YT but keep the good stuff closer to home under your control and copyright.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
cybrax is right. I don't see a site I see one page with links to your accounts and channels on other sites.

techmo2

Reaction score
CONTENT - more CONTENT - and shed loads MORE CONTENT!!!

The music, the band, Tour dates, Venues, Who, What,Where , Why and when, photos , blogs all this should be on your web site.. where it all belongs. Otherwise there is little point in having a web site.

Think about keeping ALL your music and video files inside your own site rather than using YouTube. Put teasers and shorts on YT but keep the good stuff closer to home under your control and copyright.

Cybrax is right on.

Remember "Content is King". What will people do when they reach your website and not find any useful information ?

techmo2

Last edited:

dvdpeet

Reaction score
Hello, I think that a section about you, what you're doing and so on might be usefull.

even if those info already are on myspace or other...

good continuation

extherox

Reaction score
Center the page, everything is oriented to the top-right corner and looks very crowded.
this should be a "find-Us" type page and not your main entry.

All I see are links to the other sites as said before and a Picture which I could only assume is you with a mic, however I don't know for sure if that site is suppose to be about your as a person or you as an artist, you need to clarify that on your site in some way.

Last edited:

mjserv

Reaction score
Agree, that it needs more content. sure I'll goto to the youtube,etc.. but who,where what?

tomasvv

Reaction score
I think site looks great. But have to agree that need some content, not just links, but the ideao of looks is good.

pirateforhire

Reaction score
as everyone has already said, you need something on your site other than external links. What you currently have will do absolutely nothing for SEO and no one will find you unless you tell them where to go.

As far as the design goes, you're on the right track. Don't go the easy way and just put white text on the background, but come up with a div for the content with a slightly transparent brown background with some beige text on it. That'll keep it looking classy

ilsonowl

Reaction score
Thanks for the many many replies, I'm quite suprised everyone has had so much input.

That is just a holding page pretty much with links to lots of other online niceness. I basically put links to all the best stuff on there so it would optimize those pages really when people searched my name in Google, I didn't want people to find stuff that's online that I don't want them to see / hear (!) say no more ...

I'm currently building a website along the lines of http://www.matthenshaw.bandcamp.com in terms of colour scheme and style. Clean, clear, and just nice.

Eventually I will start using my hosting for files, images, videos and music. I didn't initially want to get into all this right now but people have been so enthusiastic for the record that the album has been pretty much rush released and things have been bundled online very quickly. And it's exams season ... fledgling film student, musician, web designer etc. etc. in Leicester needs some rest ...

... nah! I like keeping busy ... keeps the mind active ... !!!

Keep the feedback coming. Many thanks again!

dbdbdesigns

Reaction score
Yes of course you need more content, I think that is obvious. But what content should you add? I mean a lot of musicians these days are trying to define themselves from the rest of the industry. Add some of your music in a simple music stream. Add a flash gallery of some of your own personal artwork and writings (that always goes over well).
Ad a comments section. A a daily thought or picture area. And of course, link backs to other sites that are helping you promote your site, like your other band members, record label, etc.

eternalmoon

Reaction score
Design- Totally love it, simple, yet nice. Although I think you should change the text font to something more agreeable looking, and not so large.
Content- You definitely need to have more content, not just links to other sites. Add some information, pictures ect. Pretty much everything everyone else has stated.

Do that and you'll be well on your way to a great site, good luck!

conzone

Reaction score
pirateforhire is correct.
no sounds for me but that's not unusual for my setup.

lord-yoda

Reaction score
Yeah definitely a lot more content. Put in about page, with some info about you.
Get a user comments page.. And if possible, put your music up there, like at least snipets. And keep these links on the side. So that users can then follow you on the various networks you have listed there.
Make it such that, when someone visits your site, they can hear you out, and get to know you right there.
Keep the background image and the colour scheme... It goes well ! :wink: