Any update on xo7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freezin2

Reaction score
I'm still having very slow loading, and sometimes no loading at all. Currently, I get only "Error 503 Backend fetch failed." Given that the whole purpose of the site is to get people registered for a contest, and registration ends at 11:59:59 PM EST on Thursday, I'm getting very nervous.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
The freezing saddles contest registration page loads nice and quick for me in the UK, are you still having trouble? On a separate note, white text on a photo of snow is not the easiest to read!!

muslimdo

Reaction score
i'm getting some 503 errors and intermittent slow loading. (im in UK)

I suppose the question is has the problem been located?

freezin2

Reaction score
Yep, @muslimdo, that's what I'm getting, too. Some of the time it's fine, then other times it produces 503 errors or is painfully slow to load.

@Sharky: Hmm, that's odd. The text is very easy for me to read. However, I'm not all that concerned about it anyway. The same words appear just under the header. And since people come only from a particular forum in which the purpose of the form is described in detail, I figure they already know what the form is about anyway.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It looks fine under Windows 10, must be my other laptop doing something odd. Not sure what to suggest, I've refreshed a few times and it's fine, and loads quickly. I'm not connecting through a VPN, just over the internet as everyone else does. The page loads within about 1 to 1.5 seconds completely.

muslimdo

Reaction score
another bad evening ....with multiple 503 errors
any ideas if this is being looked at ?

freezin2

Reaction score
@Sharky : Yeah, some of the time it loads quickly. However, it's going up and down. I'm totally desperate, because we have only 24 hours before registration closes, and it's been down for at least a couple of hours now.

I see that there are multiple other people getting these 503 errors. We were originally told that it might take several hours to fix, but now it's been days. No one seems to be responding to the inquiries. I had been considering moving my professional sites to x10hosting, but at the moment, I'm very disillusioned with them.

freezin2

Reaction score
I have now had to move my site to a different server, and put in a redirect, because things got so bad. But I still desperately need to get this one back up and running, because there is a whole lot of data in it that will just not appear on the other server, even though I imported the whole database. I am beyond frustrated and upset. We were promised that this problem would take hours, not days, to fix. And now it looks like everyone who actually knows what is going on has left this forum.

l4w2game

Reaction score
The site has been down since 8.30am GMT at a guess, this is the first time my board has been down over 1 hour.
There's no other hosts I can use, unless I buy my own server and maintain it, and that doesn't look like it will be happening any time soon.

However my site isn't popular enough or worthy of requiring to use my own server to host it anyway, nor does it need a domain.
Funny, because the favicon loads absolutely fine but nothing else will.

(what a coincidence! it works now)
(and it broke after trying to log in)

Last edited:

muslimdo

Reaction score
there are a few other free hosting services ...going try them to see what the service is like compared to here

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

We are looking into the sudden stability issues on xo7, and I will provide an update shortly.

Thank you,

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
I have now had to move my site to a different server, and put in a redirect
if your x10hosting's server has a issue (i.e. is down) the browser will not receive the "redirect"

freezin2

Reaction score
if your x10hosting's server has a issue (i.e. is down) the browser will not receive the "redirect"
Somehow, it is receiving the redirect, even though I can't get the site to show in the absence of the redirect. My guess is that the problem is that the server is so busy with someone else's bad script that it can't show a whole page, but it can act on a one-line redirect. But I'm not the technical expert on this--I just know that the redirect is working, and the site in the absence of a redirect is not.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
Somehow, it is receiving the redirect,
I just know that the redirect is working,
at URL --> [ http://freezingsaddles.x10host.com/ ] - the last four (4) UTC date/time/duration errors I received after you set the "redirect" - were...
2015-12-24 23:39:41 Keyword Not Found 0 hrs, 1 mins
2015-12-24 23:33:41 Keyword Not Found 0 hrs, 1 mins
2015-12-24 23:27:41 Keyword Not Found 0 hrs, 1 mins
2015-12-24 23:20:24 Keyword Not Found 0 hrs, 2 mins
note the short down time - if you were not looking during that time you would not 'see' it

EDIT was down again
2015-12-25 01:47:45 Keyword Not Found 0 hrs, 2 mins

###
We were promised that this problem would take hours, not days, to fix.
where was this "promise" made to us - I can not find it

Last edited:

freezin2

Reaction score
Sorry, I thought they had said it could take several hours, but I'm not finding that myself right now. I apologize if I mischaracterized the situation.

I suspect the short down time is what makes the redirects work while the page does not. If a downtime happens while a page is loading, it can cause an error. It's less likely that such a downtime would occur while two lines of text (the redirect) is loading than while an entire page and a graphic are. However, I'm not an expert on the technical side. What I know is that for several hours before the redirect, no one could get into the site. Since the redirect, people are getting in.

freezin2

Reaction score
It hardly matters. I'm sure there is downtime. Heck, I've been complaining about the downtime for days! The question really is whether it's better to have the page on x10 or to have a redirect from x10 to a more reliable server. If people can refresh and get to the redirected page the second time, they are in a whole lot better shape than if the page times out while loading--or worse yet, they get to the point of submitting the form, and the data gets lost. At least once the form does load, having it on a reliable server means that data entered into the form will end up in the database.

l4w2game

Reaction score
Update: it's still not great, but it's definitely a lot better than it was yesterday.

freezin2

Reaction score
@l4w2game : Just tried removing the redirect. I again got the 503 errors, so I put the redirect back.

I'm finding it odd that the status page says, as of December 24, that the xo7 server is having problems "that developed last night." My first post in this thread was dated Sunday, and noted that the server was "still" having problems. I initially reported the problems back on December 17. And several others were reporting the same problems at the same time. The problems got noticeably worse on December 23, but that's definitely not when they started!

Status
Not open for further replies.