Asp/asp .net/php

ASP/ASP .NET/PHP. Which is the best/better one?

• ASP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ASP .NET

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • PHP

Votes: 29 76.3%

• Total voters

idontknow95129

Reaction score
I'm planning on making website using either ASP/ASP .NET/PHP. I'm not sure which I should go for, because they all have their drawbacks. I've been coding with PHP for the past few years.

So, I'm giving the voters the ultimate decision.
ASP?
ASP .NET?
PHP?

Odd Thomas

Reaction score
In the last year I began to learn php and asp.net together, I must admit that there are lot of php tutorials on the net, but I ended up learning asp.net first because I manged to get a student free key of VS2008 pro, and as I was just setting up a site for a friend I thought I would give it a shot, now I had created a few sites before with PHP and not dome too badly, dynamioc links, mailers etc you know the things, any way, when it came to creating the site with asp.net I began with Visual Studio and was a bit awe struck by the shher size of the thing, buttons everywhere, do this do that, but I know its getting a larger share of the web dev market so I thought I ould percivere, I began with the videos from www.asp.net web site and the tutorials on there are fantastic, you start with lesson one, and by lesson 20 (they are all about 15-20 mins long) I had a fully working secure login datadriven website, with practice I can now get the framework for a site up and running in around 45 minutes, after that the rest is just window dressing and filling the site with content.

I am hellishly impressed by VS2008, it really has got my vote, the support and tutorials on asp/.net site are amazing, and you dont need to know any code, they start off as you should, as if you have just opened the box and you need to learn to use the tool.

I would recommend it to any one.

btw if there are any students out there who want free MS development software let me know and I will pass pn the link to down load the software and legal cd keys, you HAVE to be a student tho..

idontknow95129

Reaction score
In the last year I began to learn php and asp.net together, I must admit that there are lot of php tutorials on the net, but I ended up learning asp.net first because I manged to get a student free key of VS2008 pro, and as I was just setting up a site for a friend I thought I would give it a shot, now I had created a few sites before with PHP and not dome too badly, dynamioc links, mailers etc you know the things, any way, when it came to creating the site with asp.net I began with Visual Studio and was a bit awe struck by the shher size of the thing, buttons everywhere, do this do that, but I know its getting a larger share of the web dev market so I thought I ould percivere, I began with the videos from www.asp.net web site and the tutorials on there are fantastic, you start with lesson one, and by lesson 20 (they are all about 15-20 mins long) I had a fully working secure login datadriven website, with practice I can now get the framework for a site up and running in around 45 minutes, after that the rest is just window dressing and filling the site with content.

I am hellishly impressed by VS2008, it really has got my vote, the support and tutorials on asp/.net site are amazing, and you dont need to know any code, they start off as you should, as if you have just opened the box and you need to learn to use the tool.

I would recommend it to any one.

btw if there are any students out there who want free MS development software let me know and I will pass pn the link to down load the software and legal cd keys, you HAVE to be a student tho..

True, but I find that PHP can also become a complete database driven website as well. As for the rest, are you using VS9.0's web development kit? If so, without it, PHP and ASP are pretty much the same imo.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I started on PHP strictly on reputation for being a powerful language and was not disappointing. I was also driven to ASP because it was similar to JavaScript, which is the first scripting language I learned. I found that while ASP was fairly easy, PHP was a more powerful language and much easier when it comes to database driven websites. I never tried ASP.net, but I do not want to because it teaches some bad habits like Visual Basic.

Dan

Reaction score
I've always coded websites dynamic websites with PHP.
Before I started with PHP I have a little look at ASP but basically I hated it. I don't think I'll ever try ASP or ASP.Net.
I also find PHP a lot easier to learn, whenever I need help I just have to google it and I almost instantly then know how to do it.

To the guy that was talking about Visual Studio '08 - you only like ASP because you can code it in VS, try doing it in Notepad :)

Odd Thomas

Reaction score
This is not a flame - its an opinion and not meant to cause a rukus or any sort of an argument, its just my own view!

I've always coded websites dynamic websites with PHP.
To the guy that was talking about Visual Studio '08 - you only like ASP because you can code it in VS, try doing it in Notepad :)

And what? :biggrin: when you send a letter do you write it out by hand or do you use a word processor? when you've written your letter do you use a spell checker?

do you send email? or would you rather get a piece of string and two empty cans? or would you prefer smoke signals!:naughty:

lolz

all im pointing out is just because a tool make things easier for you doesnt make it a bad thing, long before I began using dreamweaver I wrote all my php/xhtml jacascript etc stuff in notepad, and I would have done the same with asp.net, but to be honest, its a LOT of hard work, and constantly typing code behinds and creating code, pointing to reusable code can be an enormous effort, and if there are tools out there that make your life easier fair enough I say use them

How many sites have been created using phpbb3? mySQL command line IMHO is a right royal pain in the A**E give me phpMyAdmin any day!

There is a 'purist theme; across the net that says if you havnt written out your code line by line then its not a 'real' site, I could say to all my clients 'yep every single line is created by tapping away at a keyboard for nine hours a day', would you know the difference?:nuts:

Im learning Java at uni later on next year, should I avoid netbeans?
Odd

Cifer

Reaction score
i learned vb and vb.net in school, but i told my professor i dont code in ****ty languages :)

asp.net and the whole .net framework just sux. its slow compared to a php code. the only1 who says its a good language are noobs who dont know other coding languages and m$ (coz they earn money with it :p)
i would suggest you better stay far far away from this bull**** ;)

greetz ;)
Edit:
There is a 'purist theme; across the net that says if you havnt written out your code line by line then its not a 'real' site, I could say to all my clients 'yep every single line is created by tapping away at a keyboard for nine hours a day', would you know the difference?:nuts:

Im learning Java at uni later on next year, should I avoid netbeans?
Odd

the last website i had to code i had to use Smarty (a template engine) - and yeah you can tell the difference. i wrote a cms once (its not finnished yet, but its already quite useable) and its 100 times faster then the ****ty 3 page project i coded with the use of smarty. smarty can do some cool stuff but i wouldnt use it for a big page - its just too slow imho.
phpbb is a very good forum - system and i doubt you can code a better one :)
there are even some very good cms around - if you do a clan site i really would use e107
but i dont understand all the hype about typo3 - its way too complicated, its like learning a whole new coding language (a quite sucky one), and its too slow :) and if you happen to have an error its quite impossible to trace it back :)

there is some good finnished software around but its hard to find ;)

Last edited:

idontknow95129

Reaction score
Alright, thanks, but one thing and then I'll know exactly what to stick to.

Can ASP/ASP.NET modify headers like PHP?

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
Yes I believe so (ASP.NET)

Not sure about ASP

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I started first with ASP.net as the php installer had a problem (it is not installed but it appears like it is and it won't uninstall) I used IIS until it had a problem too... ah Vista ... anyways, I tried to some other servers, but the only ones that supported ASP.net where costing money. I switch to php (I am a c/C++ native) and I found that it was way easier to code, the syntax was clear, easy to learn and use, and there was a good debug system. I never turned back. I am currently coding a website using a template system coded by myself, inspired from the phpBB one. I also have some session and good login system, that I learned 1 week ago. I stated my project about 1 month ago... So I say go for PHP, the code is clearer, not only server side wise. (go take a look at some aps.net page html source code)

idontknow95129

Reaction score
I started first with ASP.net as the php installer had a problem (it is not installed but it appears like it is and it won't uninstall) I used IIS until it had a problem too... ah Vista ... anyways, I tried to some other servers, but the only ones that supported ASP.net where costing money. I switch to php (I am a c/C++ native) and I found that it was way easier to code, the syntax was clear, easy to learn and use, and there was a good debug system. I never turned back. I am currently coding a website using a template system coded by myself, inspired from the phpBB one. I also have some session and good login system, that I learned 1 week ago. I stated my project about 1 month ago... So I say go for PHP, the code is clearer, not only server side wise. (go take a look at some aps.net page html source code)

PHP is very easy to pick up, especially if you've been coding with C++ (C++ is what all languages now are based off of, and its also one that its predecessors are similar to as well). My other question is that if I do decide to go with ASP, where's something that supports it besides IIS?

AJradio

Reaction score
I Vote ASP.Net

1. My dad works for microsoft
2. It's really easy for me
3. PHP can't be tested on windows

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
PHP. ASP is bad and it's made by microsoft. Also, it doesen't work on linux well

I Vote ASP.Net

PHP is cross-platform. You can't test PHP on linux either. Unless you got apache and php. If you get WAMPserver for windows, you can test PHP

Last edited:

GBH187

Reaction score
I Vote ASP.Net

lol

1. If your dad worked for IBM would you be voting for Cobol ?
2. I'm sure PHP would be just as easy
3. if you had ever tried php you would know it works fine on windows

T

themasterrocker

Please no more one line posts. Anyone posting one liners after this post will get an infraction. Explain why you voted for one if you have a good reason why you voted for that one.

T

themasterrocker

I am going to sticky this as this has been opened before. Any threads made to do with this will be closed and refered to this thread.

deadimp

Reaction score
It was a tough choice.
However, it should be noted that PHP is a language and ASP.NET is a framework... So I'll compare C# and PHP also.

I started out with PHP about 5 years ago, tooka few years 'off' from it and learned C++, and then came back to it around 2 or 3 years and started using / learning OOP (with the experience that came from C++).

I did an internship this summer with a company that did ASP.NET development with C#, and I generally liked it.

I feel that from the start C# was more suited for heavy OOP / patterned applications (it is younger, though).
PHP is gaining grounds in this sense, but if you look at the features that the C# language has (which more or coincide with VB.NET, I guess), you can tell why ASP.NET and .NET in general has a large market share.
PHP is just now getting closures, something that could have helped tremendously with an event-driven system.
PHP's OOP is a little lax and irksome at times, obviously because it didn't start out as a language that would support such large frameworks. Like I said, it's getting better, and it's becoming a little more natural for those large frameworks.

One feature I really loved about C# was Properties (and in that sense, reflection in .NET). Once I learned about these and the variety of ways they can be accessed to make intuitive and simple controls, everything made a little more sense.
At first I generally dislike the way ASP.NET pages looked like piece-meal HTML and XML tags with massive, random names. Once I learned that these tags were simply class names, and the attributes defined in the tags were directly linked with the corresponding property, I was struck with awe in how elegant and simple this construct really was.

An interesting thing with ASP.NET comes up with the Mono project. It does have an implementation of ASP.NET, which allows for more open source developers (not sure how it goes with "free software" exactly) to develop in this area.

All that being said, I've kinda stopped my web development once I ended that internship. I programming in D now, planing to make a game :)

EDIT: And my opinion about ASP: I'm glad I never touched this before .NET and ASP.NET.

Last edited:

unlikely

Reaction score
I have no experience with ASP whatsoever. So of course, PHP hands down.

Keep in mind, though, most folks use a web developer program. I write all mine in notepad. >_<