ATTENTION~ Major security flaw! MUST READ!

rkreborn

Reaction score
Attention, Internet Explorer users... :nuts:
Your computers are at risk... :thefinger
If you don't like reading then download firefox and use it now :eek4:

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ :dunno:

This story is more current then the one below it.
Users of all current versions of Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser might be vulnerable to having their computers hijacked because of a serious security hole in the software that is still not fixed.
The flaw lets criminals commandeer victims' machines merely by tricking them into visiting websites tainted with malicious programming code. As many as 10,000 sites have been compromised since last week to exploit the browser flaw, according to antivirus software maker Trend Micro.
The sites are mostly Chinese and have been serving up programs that steal passwords for computer games, which can be sold for money on the black market. However, the hole is such that it could be "adopted by more financially motivated criminals for more serious mayhem - that's a big fear right now," Paul Ferguson, a Trend Micro security researcher, said.
"Zero-day" vulnerabilities like this are security holes that haven't been repaired by the software makers. They're a gold mine for criminals because users have few ways to fight off attacks.
The latest vulnerability is noteworthy because Internet Explorer is the default browser for most of the world's computers. Also, while Microsoft says it has detected attacks only against version 7 of Internet Explorer, which is the most widely used edition, the company warned that other versions are also potentially vulnerable.
Microsoft said it is investigating the flaw and is considering fixing it through an emergency software patch outside of its normal monthly updates, but declined further comment. The company is telling users to employ a series of complicated workarounds to minimize the threat.
Many security experts, meanwhile, are urging Internet Explorer users to use another browser until a patch is released.
The Internet Explorer Browser has developed a major security flaw and all versions can be potentially affected. The effects of this defect are already being taken advantage of to steal online gaming passwords.
Internet users are being urged as a security measure to switch to another Browser for the time being until this defect is under control. Security experts cannot stress enough the potential risks that this flaw lays open.
The problem seems to be brought on when using Internet Explorer AND Firefox together. Firefox is not a threat but Internet Explorer is when used in conjunction with Firefox.
They are urging users to switch to an alternate Browser, such as, Opera, Firefox or Chrome, until it is safe to return to the Internet Explorer Browser.
Microsoft is aware of the problem and is working hard to sort it out and come up with a patch; though no timescale has been mentioned at this stage. At the moment it is only gaming passwords that appear to have have been extracted.
It is only a matter of time until the passwords thefts escalate to more serious areas. Online criminals are rife these days and online hacking has become an fine art. So in the case of any potential security threat, it is far better to be safe, than sorry.
Apparently it is not a difficult process for someone in the know to place the code on any website of anyone that is using the Internet Explorer Browser. Stored and entered passwords can be extracted thereafter.
So for the time being, until further notice, it is essential to STOP using the Internet Explorer Web Browser.

Last edited:

Repneiras

Reaction score
Thanks for posting it. I read the one of those two articles before but couldn't really be bothered downloading it, so now I have and am reswitching to Firefox. I used to use it at 2.0 but then had to reformat my computer.

-Repneiras ;)

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I was tempted to leave that flaw open on my PC. :biggrin:

No use for IE now that Windows Update is separate. :D

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I've been hearing about such security flaws for a while now. There was an update for Internet Explorer that closed an 8 year old security hole, but if this article isn't on the same flaw, it's quite a bummer to hear that as computer users in my home still use Internet Explorer. I've asked them to use Firefox, but everyone but one person has caught on.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I read this also on some other sites, good thing I always use firefox. : )

Thanks for informing the other x10hosting users.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Internet explorer is full of holes, keep in mind hackers don't typically like to share the vulnerabilities they find. NSA agent don't even allow IE7 to be installed on their computers. People are lucky to have a warning. However, Firefox is looked over by anti-hackers, so the code is "proof-read" by the community. That is what separates the open source FF from IE.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't mean to question what's going on, but given that this thread was posted 1 day ago and the fix that actually fixed the security hole was deployed via automatic updates 3 days ago, this is a bit outdated >_<

Bit of irony though; I don't think I've ever seen IE get BBC News' attention:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7784908.stm Bug notification
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7788687.stm Bug Fix

First time I've seen that happen :) Still good to get this out for one key reason however: Automatic Update sucks. On more than one occasion it hasn't worked at all, least this'll get people to either switch or patch it manually.

Sohail

Reaction score
Nice way to persuade users to download Firefox, it seems to be working too. I've always had it anyway so there's nothing to worry about :).

GTKILLA

Reaction score
Yes, everyone must get FIREFOX! lol
My computer got attacked by viruses and Internet Explorer was a "target", as it got VERY VERY slow...... :rant2:

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, this security flaw is now fixed. It only took Microsoft 24 hours after it was first publicly announced to fix the flaw and provide an update via Windows Update. So for everyone that downloaded Firefox and prefers to use Internet Explorer, you are safe to go back to it again now.

GTKILLA

Reaction score
Lol thats good to hear. If you tried FireFox or chrome, I hope you like it! :)

Last edited: