Average VPS internet speed?

Eurater

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a VPS package, but I'm wondering what the average internet speed is when a test is run on speedtest.net? If a couple of people could do this test and post the results, it would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
Hello,

The connection speed is 10mbit.

Below is the speed I got when downloading a file using wget. Our VPSes do not have a graphical interface so it is not easily possible to use speedtest.net
Code:
2010-01-25 19:03:40 (9.51 MB/s) - `100MB-dallas.bin' saved [104857600/104857600]

Last edited:

toyowheelin

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

The connection speed is 10mbps.

Below is the speed I got when downloading a file using wget. Our VPSes do not have a graphical interface so it is not easily possible to use speedtest.net
Code:
2010-01-25 19:03:40 (9.51 MB/s) - `100MB-dallas.bin' saved [104857600/104857600]

They might be guaranteed 10 mbit but that is closer to 100mbit Chris.9.51 megabytes = 76.08 megabits

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Correct, i get roughly 10-12 mb/s down speed.

toyowheelin

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Here is a test I just ran from cachefly.

Code:
2010-01-25 19:57:56 (10.7 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]

nastus

Reaction score
Hello,

The connection speed is 10mbit.

Code:

Dont you have like ubuntu though which should have some kind of interface (in a way) Or is it completely like ftp kinda thing or a remote managing application aswell

toyowheelin

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Dont you have like ubuntu though which should have some kind of interface (in a way) Or is it completely like ftp kinda thing or a remote managing application aswell
No all the distros that are offered are the stripped down server versions therefore there is no gui whatsoever.

The Real Rebel

Reaction score
i get around 10/12mbs download speed too which is great for a dedicated 10 mbs conn xD

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
The servers offered here are like most servers out there. They don't have a Desktop, all you have is the command line, which you access through ssh.

If you want a GUI based server, you can install xserver(which is like mini bar and pool in a race car, its not a race car after that), you will need to wait for Corey to release Windows based VPS Hosting, or find another VPS service that offers windows

I want to point it out because someone on IRC the other day complained that he "Got cheated" since the VPS didn't have a gui.

Last edited:

nastus

Reaction score
lol! got cheated.. anyways I got my vps, they have 100mbit connection (THATS MEGABITS) not MB/s so its about 10MB/s (megabytes) hope it helps!

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
The servers offered here are like most servers out there. They don't have a Desktop, all you have is the command line, which you access through ssh.

If you want a GUI based server, you can install xserver(which is like mini bar and pool in a race car, its not a race car after that), you will need to wait for Corey to release Windows based VPS Hosting, or find another VPS service that offers windows

I want to point it out because someone on IRC the other day complained that he "Got cheated" since the VPS didn't have a gui.

I use the free Webmin / Virtualmin ( webmin.com ) as a GUI / Control Panel on my VPS and am really happy with it.

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
I ran speedtest.net on mine and it said around 92Mbps however, I believe this is the whole server's speed which is divided between the VPSs in it, I downloaded a file and it was slower.

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
Alejandro said:
I believe this is the whole server's speed which is divided between the VPSs in it...
AFAIK, individual VPS instances are guaranteed 10Mb access, and, providing nobody else is utilizing the connection, can get up to 100Mb.
Alejandro said:
I downloaded a file and it was slower.
This may very well be because the server you downloaded from had a slower Internet connection than the VPS.

--- Mr. DOS

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Like some people have stated, we guarantee 10Mbit but like most of the resources on the VPS it is burstable to 100Mbit and most of the time you will get higher than 10.