Backup Proposal, Please Leave Feedback

Daily or Monthly Backups

• Speed the servers up, switch to monthly full backups and daily mysql.

Votes: 201 91.8%
  • Keep it the way it is, I like daily backups of all my files.

Votes: 18 8.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumy

Reaction score
The option "Speed the servers up, switch to monthly full backups and daily mysql." is the better without doubt. Thanks for this, Corey.

Danielx386

Reaction score
^ Why? should have some backup. Regardless, I do my own backup, I just use x10 system just in case

JoJolThelMaster

Reaction score
I really don't get that much what this is about, but I do a little. I think you should speed the servers up, switch to monthly full backups and daily mysql.

mcklovin

Reaction score
^ Why? should have some backup. Regardless, I do my own backup, I just use x10 system just in case

If you do your own backups your good to go, why even bother wasting the hosting companies site if you do your own.. Besides I don't think x10's backups would necessarily be "guaranteed" like the one time you would need it the data becomes corrupt. =/

My point is, if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.

jalenoes

Reaction score
I'd prefer full back-ups every 2 weeks but monthly is also a reasonable compromise. Speeding up servers is never a bad thing. =)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
PHPMyAdmin is a part of MySQL. It is backed up whenever MySQL is. Otherwise monthly/bi-weekly backups are fine here.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
PHPMyAdmin is a part of MySQL. It is backed up whenever MySQL is. Otherwise monthly/bi-weekly backups are fine here.
??? PHPMyAdmin is a php based software which can access and administer a MySQL database, i.e. you can use it to view the database and edit it, it is like a GUI for your database. It isn't part of MySQL. (E.g. PMA is just another web based software, with the speciality that it shows you your database.) Basically what you see in PMA is the content of your MySQL database, which gets backed up daily (I think) now.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Basically what you see in PMA is the content of your MySQL database, which gets backed up daily (I think) now.
Well not yet, actually, but it will be if the results of this poll stay the same.

whizzy

Reaction score
previous poll was about having double amount of storage, i guess that is out?

speed is always a good thing :D

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't know about the diskspace changing. However, concerning the frequency of backups, I think that monthly is a bit too far apart, 2 times a month (the 1st and the 16th are good) would be better.

As for the actual backup, having incremental backups would save space. Basically, what would happen is that there would be a base revision taken at some point. Then, only incremental backup are made, except when 50 % - or any other value - of the files are changed, where a new base revision is saved.

matt22110

Reaction score
I would much rather have faster servers (and more space) 'cos I do my own back ups (shouldn't everyone?)

rlodge

Reaction score
I voted for the monthly backups. I'm not going to lose my job / house / family if my data gets lost. Just have to start over. If I ever get to the point that the site is "required", I will go to a paid hosting plan.

I am also in agreement with several others here. Do your own backups and you shouldn't have a problem.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Is there a way for people who don't need backup to turn it off so other people could use those resources?

eliasr

Reaction score
Speed up, if somthing important is made in our websites a personal backup is a good practice.

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
I believe it would be a better idea to run server-wide backups once every week, instead of every day or month.
Weekly backups are a better option to use, for instance if something were to happen to the servers, and a backup was made at the beginning of the month and something were to happen to one of the servers before the next backup is taken place (say for example a few days before the next backup), users could lose everything they may have applied to their site for the entire month, which would result in angry customers!!
Thus, I didn't vote. Because to me, either of the options currently up there isnt what I would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.